• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

On ‎2019‎/‎02‎/‎08 at 10:03 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I started reading this Batman series on my Kindle. Surprisingly it is awesome! I was shocked how good it is. Scott Snyder is the top writer now!

I recommend it for someone who wants to try modern Marvel/DC heroes again.

image.jpeg.2504bdecd6eb68c655a52a5f0ac47dcd.jpeg

it is very good. I absolutely love the issue where Talon has drugged Batman and Batman is trying to get out of the maze. ( 7 I think? )The book is produced with the pages spinning. Fantastic.

Show me someone who hates these covers and I'll show you a liar!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of moderns (except Star Wars) but it's hard to hate such beautiful work. I see a cover like this, I'm buying it, no questions asked :D

I have over 800 modern star wars, down to just buying the action figure covers now and any that looks so nice I can't pass (like these three). Yea they sucked me in good on that but I don't care, I enjoy them and that's what counts.

5 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Wonder Woman looks a little too manga for my liking.  Batgirl is great, Supergirl is fine.

The talent is there, but I can look at covers online anytime I want.  What's inside the book to make me want to pay for it?

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

Wonder Woman looks a little too manga for my liking.  Batgirl is great, Supergirl is fine.

The talent is there, but I can look at covers online anytime I want.  What's inside the book to make me want to pay for it?

I couldn't care less what's inside. I bought them to place in a mylar and perhaps a frame too. I bought them more as pieces of art than comic books. I like reading and smelling old comics. I wouldn't like to read these books at all. The thought of reading them didn't even enter my mind to be perfectly honest, only the thought of how best to display them and where in my house? I'm sure that statement will go down like a lead balloon with some of you lot but that's the truth of it. 

38 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

I couldn't care less what's inside. I bought them to place in a mylar and perhaps a frame too. I bought them more as pieces of art than comic books. I like reading and smelling old comics. I wouldn't like to read these books at all. The thought of reading them didn't even enter my mind to be perfectly honest, only the thought of how best to display them and where in my house? I'm sure that statement will go down like a lead balloon with some of you lot but that's the truth of it. 

I understand.  I and others care whats inside because we like to actually read comics.  Thats why we collect comics and not art prints.  I know that sounds strange.  

1 minute ago, kav said:

I understand.  I and others care whats inside because we like to actually read comics.  Thats why we collect comics and not art prints.  I know that sounds strange.  

Doesn't sound strange at all, no. Does my reasoning for buying select issues sound strange to you?

Just now, Dan82 said:

Doesn't sound strange at all, no. Does my reasoning for buying select issues sound strange to you?

No.  I guess not.  Basically you are buying thick art prints.  (thumbsu

Those comics are like so many movies-excellent art/graphics and really lame stories.  Why are the art guys and cgi guys so good and the writers so bad??

1 hour ago, Dan82 said:

The Batgirl cover is OK. The Wonder Woman & Supergirl covers suck. Interior art & story any good?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

No.  I guess not.  Basically you are buying thick art prints.  (thumbsu

Well, they're still comics. New and unread and pristine with gorgeous covers. They can grace my wall and they are cheap!

On the flip, I buy old comics and I read those. And they are expensive. 

It's a funny game this is :)

2 minutes ago, mrc said:

The Batgirl cover is OK. The Wonder Woman & Supergirl covers suck. Interior art & story any good?

The Batgirl cover to me was a missed opportunity of using dark shaded areas to give volume also the hands are microscopic.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Those comics are like so many movies-excellent art/graphics and really lame stories.  Why are the art guys and cgi guys so good and the writers so bad??

Fully agree! There are some Marvel and DC movies I just couldn't sit through

I like beautifully-drawn covers, and I’ve posted the Adam Hughes Supergirl LOSH variant enough times, but, as a lifelong comic book reader, the contents are much more important to me.  

And, not all modern comics are poorly written. A sweeping generalisation.

Edited by Ken Aldred