• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Beige said:

Everyone doesn't hate moderns - I'll 100% agree Marvel and DC have made some shocking comics in the last 20 yrs BUT.

How about these for a counterbalance from other publishers?

100 Bullets

Alias

The Boys

DAYTRIPPER - for me, the best modern written to date

Planetary 

The Strain

Transmetropolitan

Y-The Last Man

Early Walking Dead

There are others - but give these a read and see what you think!

Yep...

Preacher

Stray Bullets

Criminal

The Wicked + the Divine

Sandman

Paper Girls 

Hellblazer

Bone

Fables

Saga

American Virgin

Scalped

We Stand on Guard (BKV with Steve Skroce!)

and so many more...

Basically, read a few Image titles to dispel the illusion that all modern comics are terrible. 

Some great books there.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Basically, read a few Image titles to dispel the illusion that all modern comics are terrible. 

Some great books there.

Indeed, Top Cow especially puts out really great titles.

Anybody go back and re-read classics when they are older like Saga of Swamp Thing, Dark Knight Returns,Miracle Man, Animal Man Watchmen and Sandman?

The last time I read these I think I was like age 11 to 13. lol.

I think I am going to go back and re-read the classics of the 1980s and see if they hold up to an adult mind and it`s not just nostalgia fueling my love for them as being better than modern comics.

Anybody else want to join me in my experiment in re-reading Saga of Swamp Thing, Dark Knight Returns,Miracle Man, Animal Man, Watchmen and Sandman as adults to see if they are up to it compared to modern comics?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

46 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Anybody go back and re-read classics when they are older like Saga of Swamp Thing, Dark Knight Returns,Miracle Man, Animal Man Watchmen and Sandman?

I think I am going to go back and re-read the classics of the 1980s and see if they hold up to an adult mind and it`s not just nostalgia fueling my love for them as being better than modern comics.

Anybody else want to join me in my experiment in re-reading Saga of Swamp Thing, Dark Knight Returns,Miracle Man, Animal Man, Watchmen and Sandman as adults to see if they are up to it compared to modern comics?

You'll find more expositional dialogue the further you go back.  The titles you've mentioned aren't too bad in comparison to my recent re-read of some of Don McGregor's Bronze Age work; a benchmark for extreme, persistent overwriting in older comics.  

The Alan Moore titles are probably the most densely-written of your selection, with Watchmen being the most memorable to me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

30 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

You'll find more expositional dialogue the further you go back.  The titles you've mentioned aren't too bad in comparison to my recent re-read of some of Don McGregor's Bronze Age work; a benchmark for extreme, persistent overwriting in older comics.  

The Alan Moore titles are probably the most densely-written of your selection, with Watchmen being the most memorable to me.

How were those Black Panther and Killraven runs of his?

I got both his Black Panther and Killraven runs on my Kindle but haven't read them yet.

Is Don McGregor`s style like Chris Claremont as in wordy?

image.jpeg.cf16d60b59680e7627bd18317dd9fb18.jpeg  image.jpeg.e3d5e6b11711792715b09720e061819c.jpeg

30 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

How were those Black Panther and Killraven runs of his?

I got both his Black Panther and Killraven runs on my Kindle but haven't read then yet.

Is Don McGregor`s style like Chris Claremont as in wordy?

Claremont is wordy, but I still enjoy most of his X-Men work from the 70s through to early 90s.  One of my all-time most significant comics writers.

McGregor's prose is much more purple and, while the stories are good, they can be a bit of a chore to work through. At least Killraven features one of my all-time favourite artists, P. Craig Russell, with an amazing evolution in style through that short run.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Sisqo Due said:

Are you sure you've read Transmetropolitan? hm

Yeah it was V for Vendetta meets District 9 with the old the establishment is evil mwah ha ha!!  meh

1 minute ago, Sisqo Due said:

Are you sure you're thinking of the right title? The story of gonzo journalist Spider Jerusalem (and his filthy assistants) by the team of Warrren Ellis and Darick Robertson??

yeah wasnt there a camp where all the tranmets were abused by the evil president and stuff?

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I had Sandman #1 back in the day, didn't have much interest in it, (but then again, I was also reading GI Joe at the time), so perhaps I should revisit.  Maybe my adulting brain would enjoy it. 

12 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I had Sandman #1 back in the day, didn't have much interest in it, (but then again, I was also reading GI Joe at the time), so perhaps I should revisit.  Maybe my adulting brain would enjoy it. 

That`s how I was with the Cheers tv show,as a kid I didn't get it, but as an adult watching it now it`s one of the best tv shows ever made.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s how I was with the Cheers tv show,as a kid I didn't get it, but as an adult watching it now it`s one of the best tv shows ever made.

Never seen it or big bang theory or most every 'popular' sitcom after 1980 except Steinfield.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I read Animal Man as an adult.  I don't like Morrison normally, but his run was great.  I could've done without the rest of the run.

I tried to read an issue of Sandman out of context as a kid, while I was still a Marvel zombie, and didn't care for it.  I bought a full run many years later, and thorougly enjoyed it.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Never seen it or big bang theory or most every 'popular' sitcom after 1980 except Steinfield.

I would go with the first 5 years of Cheers if you ever tried it. Those were the Sam and Diane years. Had to be the funniest most dysfunctional couple ever to be seen on TV.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would go with the first 5 years of Cheers if you ever tried it. Those were the Sam and Diane years. Had to be the funniest most dysfunctional couple ever to be seen on TV.

LOOOOOOOOOOSEY!!!  YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAININ TO DO!!!!!

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yes cheers was laugh out loud , that’s funny that you didn’t get it when you were little🤪🤪🤪🥴😄

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Saga of the Swamp Thing I re-read a couple of years ago - some of it I really thought was amazing, some of it not so much...

I liked Dark Knight Returns more when I thought Frank Miller was being satirical.

Uh... which Miracle Man? The 4th World stuff I loved more every time I've read it. 

Morrison's Animal Man is still pretty darn cool, and those Bolland covers are a treat. Read his Doom Patrol while you're at it. Years ahead of his time.

Watchmen is still enjoyable.

Sandman is still enjoyable.