• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the most expensive silver age comicbook by grade?

91 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any predictions as to what an ASM #1 9.6 will sell for? One is being auctioned by heritage on ebay.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28266&item=6550217081

Too bad they listed it in the Superman catagory instead of the Spiderman catagory on Ebay foreheadslap.gif

Did they also list in in the Spider-Man category? Not a bad marketing ploy because it gets some added attention. We all know that DC fans are really Marvel fans deep down inside. stooges.gif

Heritage definitely does some listing screw-ups. I figure it must be some intern. A couple months back, I scored a Mysterious Adventures issue slabbed at 9.2 for $250, which is an unheard of price. Now, MA is a pre-code horror title, but whoever did the listing saw the word "Adventures" and listed it in the "adventure" category with all the jungle books.

I'm convinced that's why I got the book for so low. If they'd listed it properly, they'd probably have got double what I paid.

Not that I'm complaining. wink.gif

Heritage definitely does some listing screw-ups. I figure it must be some intern. A couple months back, I scored a Mysterious Adventures issue slabbed at 9.2 for $250, which is an unheard of price. Now, MA is a pre-code horror title, but whoever did the listing saw the word "Adventures" and listed it in the "adventure" category with all the jungle books.

I'm convinced that's why I got the book for so low. If they'd listed it properly, they'd probably have got double what I paid.

That was an actual ebay listing or a live auctions listing?

Their inconsistency on categories drives me nuts. In the same signature auction (maybe their amazing auctions too, I haven't checked there), some GA Duck books will be listed in "Funny Animal", others will be in "Cartoon Character", and yet others will be in "Humor". Christo_pull_hair.gif

Does anyone have any predictions as to what an ASM #1 9.6 will sell for? One is being auctioned by heritage on ebay.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28266&item=6550217081

Too bad they listed it in the Superman catagory instead of the Spiderman catagory on Ebay foreheadslap.gif

Did they also list in in the Spider-Man category? Not a bad marketing ploy because it gets some added attention. We all know that DC fans are really Marvel fans deep down inside. stooges.gif

No they did not

fyi, ASM #1 sold for $97,750

acclaim.gif

Tim; are you just happy over the sale or did YOU buy it?!?!?!?

27_laughing.gif I never even thought about the fact that my reaction would be interpreted that way. No, I was just celebrating the fact that I predicted that it would go for under $100K (see earlier in this thread).

Quick Comments on this list.

Regarding Silver-Age Marvel, realize that the two big collectors either have a ultra high grade copy of the book, or are selling them.

My point is that when you are talking $75K and above books, there are not many interested parties.

Therefore it would be hard to say which books would automatically get over $100K.

I would say only these Marvel's would get there.

AF #15 CGC 9.4 (or better)

ASM #1 CGC 9.8

FF #1 CGC 9.6

Hulk #1 CGC 9.4

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

That's it.

No Journey #83 CGC 9.6, nor TOS #39 CGC 9.6, nor X-Men #1 CGC 9.6 would not get there at this time. And I don't believe FF #1 in CGC 9.4 would get there (but maybe pretty close).

Now in a few years, maybe, or if a new big time collector hit the market.

Steve, didn't SM 1 in a "soft" CGC 9.6 only barely miss it?

True.

But now that buyer has one, it doesn't mean a slightly less soft 9.6 would hit it. It could mean the next copy sell for less.

Plus, remember JP is out of the market and he was a big buyer over the past few years, for big ticket books.

Quick Comments on this list.

Regarding Silver-Age Marvel, realize that the two big collectors either have a ultra high grade copy of the book, or are selling them.

My point is that when you are talking $75K and above books, there are not many interested parties.

Therefore it would be hard to say which books would automatically get over $100K.

I would say only these Marvel's would get there.

AF #15 CGC 9.4 (or better)

ASM #1 CGC 9.8

FF #1 CGC 9.6

Hulk #1 CGC 9.4

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

That's it.

No Journey #83 CGC 9.6, nor TOS #39 CGC 9.6, nor X-Men #1 CGC 9.6 would not get there at this time. And I don't believe FF #1 in CGC 9.4 would get there (but maybe pretty close).

Now in a few years, maybe, or if a new big time collector hit the market.

AF #15 CGC 9.4 (or better) ....

,,,,,definitely. A few have already sold over 100K

ASM #1 CGC 9.8 ...

.....I agree, if it ever goes on sale.

FF #1 CGC 9.6

......same here, but FF 9.4 has already sold over 100K last year

Hulk #1 CGC 9.4 ...

..... definitely.

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

....plus the 2 sales of 9.6s over 100K

but I agree that the JIM83 9.6 and TOS39 9.6 would still fall short of the 100k mark.

that recent sale ay 97K in Heritage this week is widely considered a weak 9.6.... If a "clean" copy came up for sale today I believe it would get 110 - 120 easily. This Parrino copy isnt a trend or barometer of aanything other than its sullied reputation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that recent sale ay 97K in Heritage this week is widely considered a weak 9.6.... If a "clean" copy came up for sale today I believe it would get 110 - 120 easily. This Parrino copy isnt a trend or barometer of aanything other than its sullied reputation.

The question is not the quality of the book, but WHO'S the BUYER. Once again, I can only think of about three or four big time collectors and most have the ultra high grade books in the condition that they want them in.

Remember one fact. Not every collector paid $100K for a book that would / could make the list. Said another way, if a $100K book SELLS, there has to be a $100K buyer, but it doesn't mean the current owner paid anywhere near $100K. In addition, many large sales of books, usually include some type of partial trade.

A perfect example is the X-Men #1 in CGC 9.6 or 9.8. I know the three collectors who have these, so they would not buy another copy. So who's the fourth great X-Men collector who would either buy one of theirs or buy a new submit that got a CGC 9.6. I don't know. Plus, all three of those are pedigrees which makes them slightly more attractive to certain collectors. A non-pedigree copy might not reach the same amount as a pedigree copy, even if the book appeared to be graded tighter.

I agree the list is tiny for 100K books. But there are guys "on the bubble." Not many, but we can only find out when these books are offerred for sale. And by a seller who WANTS to sell, Im not referring to books priced like Doug's Vault copies.

Most of the 100K books on the list were bought long ago raw for far less, yes. But some sales in excess of 100K have also happenned in the past few years. Will they work out for the buyers???? Thats the question. Id say, you'd have to really love comics and have extra money to play around with to be spending 100K+ on HG Marvels, etc today. But then again, there arent that many copies, so supply and demand seem sto be holding up in this market. You dont see these books just hanging out there unsold, do you?

...and as we all know, they just arent making any more of them!!

---- no, wait, is this now gonna become another pressing thread???

Most of the 100K books on the list were bought long ago raw for far less, yes. But some sales in excess of 100K have also happenned in the past few years.

Yes, but how many of those sales were to someone not named Parrino or Schmell? Other than the 9.6 ASM 1 purchased by the chiropractor or dentist or whatever he was, I`m hard pressed to think of a $100K SA transaction that didn`t involve these guys.