• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby verified signature?

73 posts in this topic

So I've been looking for a nice Kirby signed book for a while. I never thought a "verified" copy would be possible since Kirby died in 1994 and CGC started up in 1999. On Ebay, there is an X-Men #7 with "verified" Lee and Kirby signatures on the first page. Is there a handwriting expert on staff (CBCS) that verifies Jack Kirby signatures? It seems like Kirby would be an easy one to fake. If no one was present when he signed the book right before it was slabbed, what are they promising the buyer with this "verification"?

6 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I have the Dynamic forces signed X-Men comic and I'm quite happy with that. As for anywhere else I would be very wary unless it was from someone well known in the comic selling community, good luck.(thumbsu 

Maybe my post was misunderstood. The copy of this X-Men #7 on Ebay is CBCS graded and slabbed, with the label reading "verified" signatures. I was just wondering how in the heck they can verify the signature of Kirby seeing as he's been dead since 1994!

1 minute ago, Calidream'n said:

Maybe my post was misunderstood. The copy of this X-Men #7 on Ebay is CBCS graded and slabbed, with the label reading "verified" signatures. I was just wondering how in the heck they can verify the signature of Kirby seeing as he's been dead since 1994!

Maybe they had photographic proof of the actual comic and him signing in such a way that looked legit.

20 minutes ago, Calidream'n said:

So I've been looking for a nice Kirby signed book for a while. I never thought a "verified" copy would be possible since Kirby died in 1994 and CGC started up in 1999. On Ebay, there is an X-Men #7 with "verified" Lee and Kirby signatures on the first page. Is there a handwriting expert on staff (CBCS) that verifies Jack Kirby signatures? It seems like Kirby would be an easy one to fake. If no one was present when he signed the book right before it was slabbed, what are they promising the buyer with this "verification"?

Paging @glendgold

1 minute ago, tv horror said:

Maybe they had photographic proof of the actual comic and him signing in such a way that looked legit.

I suppose that's possible, but if so, their "verification" qualifications are pretty lax in comparison to CGC who wouldn't allow that as proof.

2 minutes ago, Calidream'n said:

I suppose that's possible, but if so, their "verification" qualifications are pretty lax in comparison to CGC who wouldn't allow that as proof.

WTF are you talking about? CGC doesn't verify anything.

And just because somebody is dead doesn't mean they never signed anything when they were alive. :facepalm::facepalm:

Just now, Lazyboy said:

WTF are you talking about? CGC doesn't verify anything.

And just because somebody is dead doesn't mean they never signed anything when they were alive. :facepalm::facepalm:

Um, CGC Signature series ring a bell? CGC is stating or "verifying" that the comic was signed by that person before being slabbed. I never said Kirby didn't sign books. I asked how it can be verified and not be a fake sig. Reading is fundamental. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Calidream'n said:

I've thought of one more thing. Taking into account the court case with Kirby and Marvel, that would push the time limit back a few years from 1994 then take into account their actual meeting of being together then that might lead to even further back, I would be doubly wary..  

Then he should have said "CGC doesn't verify everything". The signature series Yellow label shows they DO indeed verify signatures.

The Yellow SS label means that (ignoring the exceptions) a CGC representative witnessed the signing.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

How is any other signature ever deemed to be authentic without a grading company charging extra to witness it?

My guess would be with a handwriting expert? Which is why I originally (see first post) asked how CBCS can verify Kirby's signature on this book since they weren't there when Kirby signed it. 

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The Yellow SS label means that (ignoring the exceptions) a CGC representative witnessed the signing.

And with the Yellow label they are verifying the person the CGC representative witnessed did so. Does verify mean something different in Canada? (serious question)

And with the Yellow label they are verifying the person the CGC representative witnessed did so. Does verify mean something different in Canada? (serious question)

You are killing it tonight.

In the context of this thread, the other company has witnessed "authentic" sigs in addition to after-the-fact "verified" sigs.

19 hours ago, Calidream'n said:

It's always an adventure posting on the Forum.

Let it go now lol 

Edited by kav