• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby verified signature?

73 posts in this topic

CGC  witnesses book signings. They don't verify anything they don't witness. The other company employs experts to verify signatures. 

I have nine Presidential signatures. All are verified, none were witnessed. Try finding a witnessed  Edgar Poe. You can't but you will find plenty of verified ones.

14 hours ago, Calidream'n said:

I suppose that's possible, but if so, their "verification" qualifications are pretty lax in comparison to CGC who wouldn't allow that as proof.

Outside of CGC signature verification is not uncommon for collectibles and legal matters. 

‘I also suspect CGC could detect pressing if they wanted to, but at this point it goes without saying if a books been slabbed it’s also been pressed

As I understand it and this is just from watching pawn stars no one can give a 100% verified unwitnessed sig unless there is some kind of provenance.  All they can do is say like I am 95% sure this is real.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

As I understand it and this is just from watching pawn stars no one can give a 100% verified unwitnessed sig unless there is some kind of provenance.  All they can do is say like I am 95% sure this is real.

Correct. It's an opinion. Like a grade. And as an opinion based on anything that is subject and cannot be measured, such opinions are subject to change, that itself is subject to revision on a subsequent viewing, even by professionals and experts.

10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Correct. It's an opinion. Like a grade. And as an opinion based on anything that is subject and cannot be measured, such opinions are subject to change, that itself is subject to revision on a subsequent viewing, even by professionals and experts.

And, as such, there are those whose opinions would be more legitimate than others.  That adds a bit more to the % uncertainty factor.  I believe that tho rare, there exist perfect forgers.  Not able to forge anyone, but can perfectly imitate one or a few sigs.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

CGC  witnesses book signings. They don't verify anything they don't witness. The other company employs experts to verify signatures. 

I have nine Presidential signatures. All are verified, none were witnessed. Try finding a witnessed  Edgar Poe. You can't but you will find plenty of verified ones.

Curious what company verified.

1 hour ago, kav said:

And, as such, there are those whose opinions would be more legitimate than others.  That adds a bit more to the % uncertainty factor.  I believe that tho rare, there exist perfect forgers.  Not able to forge anyone, but can perfectly imitate one or a few sigs.

Correct.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Yes. Sorry. replied to the same post twice. Unintentional.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Because, obviously people in this community are interested in this subject. It concerns comics and artist's signatures. What better place to ask/discuss?

Edited by Calidream'n

2 hours ago, kav said:

Same goes for restoration

2 hours ago, Calidream'n said:

Because, obviously people in this community are interested in this subject. It concerns comics and artist's signatures. What better place to ask/discuss?

How about the other guys’ board?  They’re the ones churning out red labels.  You’re original question was how verified copies even exist with Kirby dying in 1994 and CGC not opening till ‘99.  Question has been answered, there will NEVER be a yellow label Kirby.

I miss “to slab or not to slab”...

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

How about the other guys’ board?  They’re the ones churning out red labels.  You’re original question was how verified copies even exist with Kirby dying in 1994 and CGC not opening till ‘99.  Question has been answered, there will NEVER be a yellow label Kirby.

I miss “to slab or not to slab”...

Just imagine the value of a yellow label Ditko where one day he went in under the radar and signed one at CGC booth for his own reasons.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Just imagine the value of a yellow label Ditko where one day he went in under the radar and signed one at CGC booth for his own reasons.

I give him credit for sticking to his convictions and never doing so.  Imagine if one facilitator got an exclusive deal with Ditko to do the only 100 yellow labels that would ever exist?  How much do you think Ditko could have charged for his services?

Just now, mattn792 said:

I give him credit for sticking to his convictions and never doing so.  Imagine if one facilitator got an exclusive deal with Ditko to do the only 100 yellow labels that would ever exist?  How much do you think Ditko could have charged for his services?

A $1000 a sig does not seem out of the question.