• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 5:52 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not denying Dark Knight is a fine film, btw. It's just when I was watching it I couldn't stop thinking, among other things, how much the movie looked and felt like Michael Mann's Heat.

That was a big plus for me, as IMHO Heat was a better movie than any of the Batman movies.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

So if they are against diversity what's their ideology then?

I don't understand your question or maybe you misunderstood my statement there. I'm saying most of the critics giving negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or in major media outlets HAVE NOT criticized the movie because of its diversity at all. They have criticized the movie over its story, pace, expectations, etc.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:00 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't understand your question or maybe you misunderstood my statement there. I'm saying most of the critics giving negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or in major media outlets HAVE NOT criticized the movie because of its diversity at all. They have criticized the movie over its story, pace, expectations, etc.

Amen!

So you moved on from the conspiracy and racism message.

:applause:

On 11/3/2021 at 2:44 AM, rjpb said:

The battle stakes are already pretty low in most Superhero movies as you know the lead won't die (at least not permanently), but making them almost impossible to kill makes them even lower

Who do you think is the lead? Also, I'm sure a Deviant or a Celestial or another Eternal could end an Eternal.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, Bosco685 said:

Amen!

So you moved on from the conspiracy and racism message.

:applause:

I never said the critics on RT were being anti-diversity, with the exception of the Toto review. The rest of my above reply to Larryw7 is that the IMDb 1 star review bomb by people who had not seen the movie was indeed an attack against the movie's diversity, and that's why the Vice article he links is a bit confused.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:52 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And here's my opinion: 1989 Batman is the best Batman movie so far, Michael Keaton is the best Batman so far, and Jack Nicholson's Joker is the best Joker so far.

I'm not denying Dark Knight is a fine film, btw. It's just when I was watching it I couldn't stop thinking, among other things, how much the movie looked and felt like Michael Mann's Heat.

Well, hot diggity...I agree with you! :whatthe:

On 11/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And here's my opinion: 1989 Batman is the best Batman movie so far, Michael Keaton is the best Batman so far, and Jack Nicholson's Joker is the best Joker so far.

Dafuq?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

To me, that's a large part of the film's genius.

Nolan essentially remade Heat as a Batman film. And it was exceptional.

It also goes to my thesis of good vs. bad superhero movies.

We're long past the point where the first generation of Marvel films is enough on its own.

You know, the basic plot of "origin story / hero gets powers / comes to grips with his newfound hero-ness / fights villain with roughly analogous powers"

That was basically the plot of:

• The Incredible Hulk
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Ant-Man

Yes - Black Panther and Captain Marvel followed this template as well, but added layers of plot or other genre elements that made them far better. For instance, each of them had something to say about the nature of power and responsibility.

As I've said before, today's superhero films have evolved - they need to be able to nearly stand on their own as genre films in their own right, even if you stripped out all the superhero elements.

That's why Captain America: The Winter Soldier was better than Captain America - it was a solid espionage thriller that had something to say about government surveillance and the Patriot Act.

Wonder Woman was exceptional because it would have worked nearly as well as a WWI spy thriller even if Diana didn't have her superpowers.

Black Panther dealt not just with aspects of racism and colonialism, but broader geopolitical questions of a nation's responsibility to help the world if they have the means, even at the cost of their own identity.

And The Dark Knight was a self-conscious homage to Heat, a gritty mob thriller that simply grafted some Batman elements on.

I'm hopeful that The Batman follows a similar path, featuring a full-on Silence of the Lambs take on the Riddler, an approach to psychological horror that (appropriately) casts the Riddler as a dangerous psychopath.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:07 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I never said the critics on RT were being anti-diversity, with the exception of the Toto review. The rest of my above reply to Larryw7 is that the IMDb 1 star review bomb by people who had not seen the movie was indeed an attack against the movie's diversity, and that's why the Vice article he links is a bit confused.

The double-speak is strong in this one.

You did. You noted diversity was under attack. I'm just coming back from a wonderful jog or I would introduce you to your past self. And the mojo too.

austin-powers-myself.gif.cea49148cfa9d3910cbbf586d2949cae.gif

:baiting:

On 11/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Bosco685 said:

The double-speak is strong in this one.

You did. You noted diversity was under attack. I'm just coming back from a wonderful jog or I would introduce you to your past self. And the mojo too.

austin-powers-myself.gif.cea49148cfa9d3910cbbf586d2949cae.gif

:baiting:

I noted Eternals' diversity was under attack from the trolls involved in the IMDb 1 star bomb, from the usual suspects on YouTube, and in social media. I never ever said it was under attack in the negative reviews from national media critics (again with the exception of the HollywoodToto guy). No double-speak here except in said baseless accusation above.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:57 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I noted Eternals' diversity was under attack from the trolls involved in the IMDb 1 star bomb, from the usual suspects on YouTube, and in social media. I never ever said it was under attack in the negative reviews from national media critics (again with the exception of the HollywoodToto guy). No double-speak here except in said baseless accusation above.

rondancing.gif.aa17482540c5dde20d7237b8918bad24.gif

On 10/31/2021 at 6:14 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Regarding the Hollywood in Toto reviewer referenced above, it's not just a movie for these folks. It's an ideological cultural war whose foot soldiers on their side review bombed Captain Marvel at RT a few years ago. Regardless of the quality of Eternals story, it's the film's featured diversity they have a problem with.

'in toto' meaning TOTALLY and ENTIRELY which movie critics are part of the Hollywood system. As much as you want to present that is not what you meant. So you are stating all of Hollywood is rallying against MCU diversity.

Or was that post 'so much days ago' and it doesn't count anymore?

On 11/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

rondancing.gif.aa17482540c5dde20d7237b8918bad24.gif

'in toto' meaning TOTALLY and ENTIRELY which movie critics are part of the Hollywood system. As much as you want to present that is not what you meant. So you are stating all of Hollywood is rallying against MCU diversity.

Or was that post 'so much days ago' and it doesn't count anymore?

Oddly, the reviewers name is Toto.

image.thumb.png.6e7c69bdea4b73b52116398906ef80f3.png

On 11/3/2021 at 11:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

So in this case Toto is speaking for Hollywood? That's fantastic.

I initially thought the highlighted sentence didn't make sense as written, and thought the simple fact of capitalizing Toto indicated a reference to the reviewer's surname rather than the Latin phrase. Thanks to Google, all is clear now - Toto's website is named Hollywood in Toto.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, mtracy64 said:

I initially thought the highlighted sentence didn't make sense as written, and thought the simple fact of capitalizing Toto indicated a reference to the reviewer's surname rather than the Latin phrase. Thanks to Google, all is clear now - Toto's website is named Hollywood in Toto.

That is too funny

On 11/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, mtracy64 said:

Oddly, the reviewers name is Toto.

image.thumb.png.6e7c69bdea4b73b52116398906ef80f3.png

Although this turns out to be a misinterpretation of the name for the word 'toto' :roflmao: unfortunately the steady stream of 'racism' and 'diversity' statements from that member is beyond excessive. Including accusing fellow board members (i.e. Forumites :insane: ) of being racist and misogynists.

therealsilver01.thumb.PNG.103306b5e61e89aaddf5908984717d9d.PNG

therealsilver02.thumb.PNG.cbc190bd0e14d8c4cd4340f32d13d3dd.PNG

therealsilver03.thumb.PNG.b544d7539de59d4ad695802c5d7db7ab.PNG

therealsilver04.thumb.PNG.9ef3f788c0803f39ff907e5d2feb750b.PNG

therealsilver05.thumb.PNG.b6581c6b200335a9fa67f33240322c12.PNG

And even when the actor playing U.S. Agent (Wyatt Russell) was receiving death threats and attacked on Instagram for replacing Chris Evans, then it was cute and fans just having fun with the situation of the show. Oh, and anyone that was noting this as a concern were just anti-MCU (ignoring how some of us have been along for the ENTIRE MCU ride and even have Top 10 MCU lists due to our love of movies). I guess to be true fans we have to scream about the MCU being the most amazing creative experience ever and anyone that disagrees are racists, misogynists and xenophobists.

therealsilver06.thumb.PNG.cb9f4c91f1b79335ac91f68609eaf4fa.PNG

RobinHood.gif.d35118df0ec890b93d31e0242c1a9b3a.gif

So.......has anyone here actually seen the movie via one of the prescreens and can comment on it?

And as far as the "critic" reviews, remember, those who can will act/direct. Those who can't become critics.

Edited by kimik