• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 3:54 PM, kimik said:

So.......has anyone here actually seen the movie via one of the prescreens and can comment on it?

And as far as the "critic" reviews, remember, those who can will act/direct. Those who can't become critics.

I still reflect back on that article with Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects screenwriter) meeting with a critic that trashed his film. His lesson learned from the conversation...

“I walked away having learned something I say often,” McQuarrie wrote. “All angry, bitter, nasty criticisms have the same subtext: ‘You squandered an opportunity that should have been mine.’ I can’t say criticism never bothered me again. But it never had the same power. Angry criticism has even less. Because I have seen the angry critic’s pain.”

Meanwhile, it is interesting when this deep reflection happens on here once a beloved franchise becomes the new focus of critical disappointment.  :angel:

On 11/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, it is interesting when this deep reflection happens on here once a beloved franchise becomes the new focus of critical disappointment.  :angel:

Agreed. Some people will not change so no use arguing with them either. 

FWIW, I am still looking forward to Eternals and think it will be fine. My guess is critics and fans were hoping for an Avengers or Avengers Infinity/End Game level film, and what they got was Age of Ultron and are disappointed. lol 

On 11/3/2021 at 4:39 PM, kimik said:

FWIW, I am still looking forward to Eternals and think it will be fine. My guess is critics and fans were hoping for an Avengers or Avengers Infinity/End Game level film, and what they got was Age of Ultron and are disappointed. lol 

That's the real false expectation some build for themselves: EACH MOVIE IN THE FRANCHISE MUST BE BIGGER THAN THE LAST.

There are going to be some that are intro films with some impressive scenes. Others will be massive impacts. Not everything going forward needs to be Infinity War.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:39 PM, kimik said:

Ryan, are we still planning on a group outing for this movie?

FWIW, I am still looking forward to Eternals and think it will be fine. My guess is critics and fans were hoping for an Avengers or Avengers Infinity/End Game level film, and what they got was Age of Ultron and are disappointed

I'm not sure critics were expecting Endgame or Infinity War. What I think they were expecting, and it's what I'm still kind of expecting, was something they'd never seen before. A comic book movie that might combine the poetic humanity we've seen in her movies with the bombast breadth and color of the MCU. Some critics say she nailed it. Some say she didn't. Some say whatever the case, they didn't  care for the mix. I love her movies and I love those kinds of movies. I'm expecting to like it when I see it in IMAX this weekend, though I am tempering my expectations due to the mixed reviews. 

On 11/3/2021 at 3:28 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not sure critics were expecting Endgame or Infinity War. What I think they were expecting, and it's what I'm still kind of expecting, was something they'd never seen before. A comic book movie that might combine the poetic humanity we've seen in her movies with the bombast breadth and color of the MCU. Some critics say she nailed it. Some say she didn't. Some say whatever the case, they didn't  care for the mix. I love her movies and I love those kinds of movies. I'm expecting to like it when I see it in IMAX this weekend, though I am tempering my expectations due to the mixed reviews. 

Lowered expectations tend to work when going to watch any movie. (thumbsu

I'll watch it too. My guess is that this is a so so film. Definitely not bad, but not a great film either, so it's a 5 or 6 out of ten for most people. 

Peter Rainer of the Christian Science Monitor is one of my favorite critics today. I don't always agree with him, but I like his style. He finally released his review of Eternals a few hours ago. He's not a faithful fan of the Marvel movies he notes, though admits some of them are good like Black Panther, Endgame, and Iron Man. He says Eternals is subpar to those movies and is sort of like a Side B to their Side A. Clever metaphor, Mr. Rainer. It's why I'm a fan. His biggest complaint about the story is that the film's emotional continuity keeps getting interrupted by the constant globe trotting of the main characters, and in the end, he wishes the film were better. He also notes he wasn't as big a fan of Nomadland as everyone else was. He gave Eternals 2.5 stars out of 5.

https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Movies/2021/1103/Nomadland-director-brings-her-vision-to-Marvel-s-Eternals

The second post-credit scene has now leaked.  I won't say what either of the two of them have in them, but I will say in a spoiler who isn't in either of them:

Spoiler

Any sign of any Fox-related characters, i.e. X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc.  So any post-credits teasers aren't for any of those highly-anticipated films.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, fantastic_four said:

The second post-credit scene has now leaked.  I won't say what either of the two of them have in them, but I will say in a spoiler who isn't in either of them:

Hide contents

Any sign of any Fox-related characters, i.e. X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc.  So any post-credits teasers aren't for any of those highly-anticipated films.

I think we're gonna have to wait until Dr. Strange 2 for those particular characters...

So I saw The Eternals today and I have to say I have no idea why there is so much negativity around this film. I loved every minute of it. They did a fantastic job in introducing 10 new characters to the MCU and made me like them. I was a bit hesitant to go and see it but I’m glad I did. Definitely in my top 5 Marvel films. All I can say is this…..Go and see it for yourself and make up your own mind. I suspect this movie will do well despite the negative critics reviews because once regular movie goers start to see it, the word will get around that it’s actually a great movie. Marvel are heading in a slightly different direction and I applaud them for doing so. 

On 11/4/2021 at 7:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's the real false expectation some build for themselves: EACH MOVIE IN THE FRANCHISE MUST BE BIGGER THAN THE LAST.

There are going to be some that are intro films with some impressive scenes. Others will be massive impacts. Not everything going forward needs to be Infinity War.

Exactly. It’s not bigger, smaller, worse or better. It is what it is. I think it was great and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next with the characters. Not every movie has to please every single Marvel fan.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:53 AM, Underground44 said:

So I saw The Eternals today and I have to say I have no idea why there is so much negativity around this film.

This may come down to moviegoer reactions falling into categories that Phase IV seems to ride along. Though with so many individual sensitivities the list could be quite extensive how to categorize the audience.

1 - THIS IS MORE OF MY MARVEL: Anything that Marvel Studios releases is just further introducing the comic book universe. As long as the story is somewhat interesting. And especially the ever-expanding world-building model that has made the MCU famous.

2 - SUPERHERO APPRECIATION BUT STORY FIRST: Either grew up on comics or came to appreciate superheroes due to decades of films from various studios. May not care as much about the world-building approach as much as their focus is the film itself must have the strength to stand on its own without excessive dependence on a franchise.

3 - COMEDY/ADVENTURE APPRECIATION: Part of the model Joss Whedon brought to Avengers (2012) was a template that successfully blended together comedy while the intensity of the story situation played out involving the incredible action only superhero films could bring. Before then, MCU film success bounced around with box office results. And a large general audience connected with this approach.

4 - DIVERSITY THEME CONNECTION: Either they appreciate a given ethnic or gender focus for a given film, or the entirety of Phase 3 and Phase 4 that has now come to represent the wider general audience more than ever before. Black Panther demonstrated just how massive a positive response this would bring if handled appropriately.

5 - DIVERSITY BETTER BRING PURPOSE: These are the folks that if diversity use appears to even hint at application just to pander to a given group, they react extremely negative to its use. Including to rallying against a given movie or franchise due to their assumed offense. They are quick to call out studios based on assumed diversity misuse.

6 - SUPERHERO MOVIES ARE TRASH: No matter how good a film is, anything involving super-powered being from a company book (actual or influenced by the theme) is just garbage clogging the screen. A small but loud minority that may want it all to go away. Critics in this category attack all the superhero films by default.

You may fall in Category 1 where this meets all of your required expectations.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

This may come down to moviegoer reactions falling into categories that Phase IV seems to ride along. Though with so many individual sensitivities the list could be quite extensive how to categorize the audience.

1 - THIS IS MORE OF MY MARVEL: Anything that Marvel Studios releases is just further introducing the comic book universe. As long as the story is somewhat interesting. And especially the ever-expanding world-building model that has made the MCU famous.

2 - SUPERHERO APPRECIATION BUT STORY FIRST: Either grew up on comics or came to appreciate superheroes due to decades of films from various studios. May not care as much about the world-building approach as much as their focus is the film itself must have the strength to stand on its own without excessive dependence on a franchise.

3 - COMEDY/ADVENTURE APPRECIATION: Part of the model Joss Whedon brought to Avengers (2012) was a template that successfully blended together comedy while the intensity of the story situation played out involving the incredible action only superhero films could bring. Before then, MCU film success bounced around with box office results. And a large general audience connected with this approach.

4 - DIVERSITY THEME CONNECTION: Either they appreciate a given ethnic or gender focus for a given film, or the entirety of Phase 3 and Phase 4 that has now come to represent the wider general audience more than ever before. Black Panther demonstrated just how massive a positive response this would bring if handled appropriately.

5 - DIVERSITY BETTER BRING PURPOSE: These are the folks that if diversity use appears to even hint at application just to pander to a given group, they react extremely negative to its use. Including to rallying against a given movie or franchise due to their assumed offense. They are quick to call out studios based on assumed diversity misuse.

6 - SUPERHERO MOVIES ARE TRASH: No matter how good a film is, anything involving super-powered being from a company book (actual or influenced by the theme) is just garbage clogging the screen. A small but loud minority that may want it all to go away. Critics in this category attack all the superhero films by default.

You may fall in Category 1 where this meets all of your required expectations.

This is such a list of nonsense. I don’t fall into a category. I liked the movie and I have actually seen it. Have you?

On 11/4/2021 at 1:53 AM, Underground44 said:

So I saw The Eternals today and I have to say I have no idea why there is so much negativity around this film

I was one of the few people semi excited about this movie but over time I have been slowly losing interest in regards to seeing it. The two main reasons I lost interest were because at first I heard rumors that may be an homages piece to Kirby (which it’s not from what I hear now) and second it seemed to have been sort of politicized which I hope it isn’t. I don’t want to get a lecture like at the end of FATWS. 

On 11/4/2021 at 5:42 AM, Underground44 said:

This is such a list of nonsense. I don’t fall into a category. I liked the movie and I have actually seen it. Have you?

Wait a minute. Nobody is attacking you. So put your defense knife down. You are misreading the post.

I was trying to explain why some react positive, neutral or negative. How is that nonsense?

On 11/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

Wait a minute. Nobody is attacking you. So put your defense knife down. You are misreading the post.

I was trying to explain why some react positive, neutral or negative. How is that nonsense?

Yes I possibly misread your intentions. I guess when you said that I fall into category 1, I thought that was slightly judgmental, but I get the point you’re trying to make.