• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 6:01 AM, Underground44 said:

Yes I possibly misread your intentions. I guess when you said that I fall into category 1, I thought that was slightly judgmental, but I get the point you’re trying to make.

I think you are more '1' than you realize.

:baiting:

But seriously. At this point people are going to these movies with established expectations. Some are going to over-react when they assume it deviates from the framework they expect now.

Which isn't a fair stance if the individual film is trying to prove its own story worth.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

This may come down to moviegoer reactions falling into categories that Phase IV seems to ride along. Though with so many individual sensitivities the list could be quite extensive how to categorize the audience.

1 - THIS IS MORE OF MY MARVEL: Anything that Marvel Studios releases is just further introducing the comic book universe. As long as the story is somewhat interesting. And especially the ever-expanding world-building model that has made the MCU famous.

2 - SUPERHERO APPRECIATION BUT STORY FIRST: Either grew up on comics or came to appreciate superheroes due to decades of films from various studios. May not care as much about the world-building approach as much as their focus is the film itself must have the strength to stand on its own without excessive dependence on a franchise.

3 - COMEDY/ADVENTURE APPRECIATION: Part of the model Joss Whedon brought to Avengers (2012) was a template that successfully blended together comedy while the intensity of the story situation played out involving the incredible action only superhero films could bring. Before then, MCU film success bounced around with box office results. And a large general audience connected with this approach.

4 - DIVERSITY THEME CONNECTION: Either they appreciate a given ethnic or gender focus for a given film, or the entirety of Phase 3 and Phase 4 that has now come to represent the wider general audience more than ever before. Black Panther demonstrated just how massive a positive response this would bring if handled appropriately.

5 - DIVERSITY BETTER BRING PURPOSE: These are the folks that if diversity use appears to even hint at application just to pander to a given group, they react extremely negative to its use. Including to rallying against a given movie or franchise due to their assumed offense. They are quick to call out studios based on assumed diversity misuse.

6 - SUPERHERO MOVIES ARE TRASH: No matter how good a film is, anything involving super-powered being from a company book (actual or influenced by the theme) is just garbage clogging the screen. A small but loud minority that may want it all to go away. Critics in this category attack all the superhero films by default.

You may fall in Category 1 where this meets all of your required expectations.

Good list. I think I fall in second category but if the reviews are bad (imdb, half in the bag) I might wait till the movie is in Netflix etc.
I don't start defending the movie or anything like that. More like I am just disappointed that the movie did not turn out as I was hoping. Still sad about X-men Apocalypse after the great Days of future past and that end credit scene.

My Top 5:
Avengers Infinity War,
Logan,
X-Men DOFP,
Dark Knight Rises,
Guardians Of The Galaxy

Also the film needs to be entertaining. Joker is a well made film but I have no interest of seeing it again. 

On 11/4/2021 at 7:10 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Now down to 54% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.

Approaching John Carter territory.

RT_Eternals.PNG.9f16d193aeff3f7b9f6bd87dd0d7552a.PNG

I'm counting on this movie is going to make a massive amount at the box office because hardcore fans are going to counter the critic response through their wallet via repeat viewings. And an Audience Score of at least 86%.

RoS200202.PNG.ce561a9ea7eb2d5fffd79186e0f6d82d.PNG

It's coming!

On 11/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

RT_Eternals.PNG.9f16d193aeff3f7b9f6bd87dd0d7552a.PNG

I'm counting on this movie is going to make a massive amount at the box office because hardcore fans are going to counter the critic response through their wallet via repeat viewings. And an Audience Score of at least 86%.

RoS200202.PNG.ce561a9ea7eb2d5fffd79186e0f6d82d.PNG

It's coming!

In quality, TROS is much closer to 86% good than 52% good.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

In quality, TROS is much closer to 86% good than 52% good.

I appreciate your opinion on that. I finally saw it, and it was okay. Though I plan to go back and rewatch all those films in order to see where the disconnects came into play.

ROS_ratings03.PNG.365ec6c29f3311a897d72ef2ccd14bbd.PNG

But statistically with that many users posting votes on RT, there is no way every day and forever the Audience Score remains 86% without any deviation. Especially recognizing how some were so disappointed in the film carrying over from The Last Jedi. It's unrealistic, no matter your strong positive opinion of a film.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/4/2021 at 8:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

I appreciate your opinion on that. I finally saw it, and it was okay. Though I plan to go back and rewatch all those films in order to see where the disconnects came into play.

ROS_ratings03.PNG.365ec6c29f3311a897d72ef2ccd14bbd.PNG

But statistically with that many users posting votes on RT, there is no way every day and forever the Audience Score remains 86% with any deviation. Especially recognizing how some were so disappointed in the film carrying over from The Last Jedi. It's unrealistic, no matter your strong positive opinion of a film.

I understand your detective work in not believing coincidences. I simply do not think that any sort of Disney shilling would make much of a difference in the audience score. Maybe it would otherwise be 80%, but I firmly think that it's in the area of accuracy. People were generally happy to see Star Wars course-correct after the previous abomination of an installment. In a vacuum, TROS isn't great or anything, but context matters in this trilogy.

Edit: Solo was also disappointing, so the 'return to normal' for Star Wars was doubly-appreciated.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 11/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I understand your detective work in not believing coincidences. I simply do not think that any sort of Disney shilling would make much of a difference in the audience score. Maybe it would otherwise be 80%, but I firmly think that it's in the area of accuracy. People were generally happy to see Star Wars course-correct after the previous abomination of an installment. In a vacuum, TROS isn't great or anything, but context matters in this trilogy.

Edit: Solo was also disappointing, so the 'return to normal' for Star Wars was doubly-appreciated.

It is not coincidence when an Audience Score every day grows in user contributions but remains at 86%, no matter the user count.

Try it. Create a spreadsheet with 0% to 100% as the rating, and start to add a few users at a time with varying ratings. Watch the aggregated rating what happens, and if it varies from time to know. Especially recognizing with Rise of Skywalker there were hardcore fans that felt betrayed in the end the story hadn't taken them where they assumed it was going. This was not just a light reaction.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/4/2021 at 8:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is not coincidence when an Audience Score every day grows in user contributions but remains at 86%, no matter the user count.

Try it. Create a spreadsheet with 0% to 100% as the rating, and start to add a few users at a time with varying ratings. Watch the aggregated rating what happens, and if it varies from time to know. Especially recognizing with Rise of Skywalker there were hardcore fans that felt betrayed in the end the story hadn't taken them where they assumed it was going. This was not just a light reaction.

It's not impossible.

My point is that I think whatever possible shilling that may have occurred is negligible. Disney isn't propping up a dud. People are generally okay with TROS, just as you mentioned in your own opinion.

If Eternals gets the same 86% Day 1 and beyond, then you may be on to something.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's not impossible.

My point is that I think whatever possible shilling that may have occurred is negligible. Disney isn't propping up a dud. People are generally okay with TROS, just as you mentioned in your own opinion.

If Eternals gets the same 86% Day 1 and beyond, then you may be on to something.

I know I am on to something. I tracked the daily RT results of Rise of Skywalker every day to check what was going on.

It wasn't shilling going on with RT. That was system manipulation. Shilling at least would still lead to deviation in the Audience Score results each day. Even with Gotti where the marketing company attempted to manipulate the Audience Score, at least that had variance so it was clear what was going on.

Is MoviePass Manipulating User Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to Get Butts in Seats?

Gotti01.png.3880cf3e1d60ae1d0f47c60b9c3f2752.png

On 11/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

I know I am on to something. I tracked the daily RT results of Rise of Skywalker every day to check what was going on.

It wasn't shilling going on with RT. That was system manipulation. Shilling at least would still lead to deviation in the Audience Score results each day. Even with Gotti where the marketing company attempted to manipulate the Audience Score, at least that had variance so it was clear what was going on.

Is MoviePass Manipulating User Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to Get Butts in Seats?

Gotti01.png.3880cf3e1d60ae1d0f47c60b9c3f2752.png

I am unconvinced.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I am unconvinced.

Oh I know. You were mocking someone with 42 years of criminal analysis as not being as credible on if Joker got the mental instability theme right I count on it.

Meanwhile, Rotten Tomatoes actually posts some of the Audience Score contributor comments from 'verified audience' contributors. For all the 5 star comments, there are an excessive amount of 1-3 star comments that would drastically throw off the average Audience Score rating.

RT Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker audience comments

RT_SW9_Verifieds.thumb.PNG.e7bf37d4c9a70ce0d2cfbb83b4bafb4d.PNG

And those are verified ticket holders. It goes on and on about how horrible the movie was. You know - 86% positive.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Oh I know. You were mocking someone with 42 years of criminal analysis as not being as credible on if Joker got the mental instability theme right I count on it.

Meanwhile, Rotten Tomatoes actually posts some of the Audience Score contributor comments from 'verified audience' contributors. For all the 5 star comments, there are an excessive amount of 1-3 star comments that would drastically throw off the average Audience Score rating.

RT Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker audience comments

RT_SW9_Verifieds.thumb.PNG.e7bf37d4c9a70ce0d2cfbb83b4bafb4d.PNG

And those are verified ticket holders. It goes on and on about how horrible the movie was. You know - 86% positive.

As I mentioned, it doesn't take an expert to figure out how or why Arthur Fleck was a psychopath. It's quite shallow to wade through. (shrug)

Cool, you found 5 of the 14 guys out of 100 who don't like the film on average. :whatthe:

On 11/4/2021 at 10:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

As I mentioned, it doesn't take an expert to figure out how or why Arthur Fleck was a psychopath. It's quite shallow to wade through. (shrug)

Cool, you found 5 of the 14 guys out of 100 who don't like the film on average. :whatthe:

"42 years of experience? Pftt! I've got wiki to back my opinions up."

So 14 people disliked Rise of Skywalker? Excellent analysis.

:insane:

On 11/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Must suck paying for a course on criminology and being shown scenes from Joker by some donkey professor. Like, really? It's not a deep dive into anything unsuspecting. Refund plz.

You didn't even bother to read what I provided you. Did you?

Leading Neurocriminologist Considers Joker “a Great Educational Tool”

The neurocriminologist is a pioneer in researching the minds of violent criminals, having been the first person to use brain imaging to study murderers.

DEPARTMENT OF CRIMINOLOGY - Adrian Raine

He's actually a published author and article contributor over those 42 years.

• Raine, A. (1993) The Psychopathology of Crime: Criminal Behavior as a Clinical Disorder. Academic Press.
  • Raine, A. (2013). The anatomy of violence: The biological roots of crime. New York: Pantheon / Random House; London: Allen Lane / Penguin. 
  • Glenn, A. and Raine, A. (2014). Psychopathy: An Introduction to Biological Findings and Their Implications. New York: New York University Press.

How close-minded could someone be when the person is an actual recognized expert in his field. Seriously!