• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 7:58 AM, fantastic_four said:

One thing I find confusing about the MCU Eternals is why they look like the different Earth races.  In the comics the Eternals on Earth were derived millions of years ago from humanity's ancestor erectus as shown in the page below from What If? #23.  This artificial DNA acceleration would be very unlikely to follow the same evolutionary path that humanity did with the various races from different regions that evolved on Earth, so why are they all so representative of different regions?  They must have monkeyed with the comic origins of the Eternals in some way we'll see in a few weeks, I suppose.

In the trailer one of the Eternals says they came to Earth 7000 years ago.  Does that mean the MCU Eternals aren't even derived from the DNA of humanity's ancestors on Earth?

VTJVv3wXiwFUouDyOLns7ghHjEljY8AQEjxnjckG

Yes, I believe these MCU Eternals will be alien Celestial creations who are not derived from Terrans(earthlings).

On 10/12/2021 at 8:02 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, I believe these MCU Eternals will be alien Celestial creations who are not derived from Terrans(earthlings).

So why is every one of them representative of such obviously-varied Terran human races?  In a film that wasn't specifically about a group of aliens who travel around the universe genetically engineering life you could easily assume that the diversity is due to Marvel trying to represent multiple ethnicities for the audience's sake, but here it can't be that simple--their races have to explicitly relate to the story in some way.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 10/12/2021 at 9:01 AM, fantastic_four said:

So why is every one of them representative of such obviously-varied Terran human races?  In a film that wasn't specifically about a group of aliens who travel around the universe genetically engineering life you could easily assume that the diversity is due to Marvel trying to represent multiple ethnicities, but here it can't be that simple--their races have to explicitly relate to the story.

If you look at the cosmic MCU films past, mainly all the Thor films, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 &2, and Captain Marvel, they all have alien characters with different skin colors, including black and brown. I guess all humanoid races throughout the galaxy evolved with varying skin colors. It's not just an Earth thing apparently

On 10/12/2021 at 9:05 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

If you look at the cosmic MCU films past, mainly all the Thor films, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 &2, and Captain Marvel, they all have alien characters with different skin colors, including black and brown. I guess all humanoid races throughout the galaxy evolved with varying skin colors. It's not just an Earth thing apparently

The skin color makes sense for any planet.  On Earth that evolved relative to the climate in the region they lived in, so the idea of other planets having varied climates on different parts of the planet seems likely.  What doesn't make as much sense is every other genetic adaptation that mirrors Terran races, i.e. Sersi being Chinese, Phastos being African-American, Ajak being Mexican, Ikaris being Scottish, etc.  Even each actor's natural accents are intact in the trailers, so these characters seem VERY tied to Earth's specific geographical distribution of genetic and cultural characteristics.

Edited by fantastic_four

So we all remember how great the Ship Of Theseus conversation between Vision and White Vision was, not to mention how great Vision’s Grief speech was.

Now that the Eternals have been divided between the Fighters and Thinkers, not only are the action scenes going to be amazing, but imagine how deep, spiritual, and intellectual the conversations will be too!

:roflmao:

It just occurred to me that the racial and ethnic variety is easy to explain.  In the comics the Celestials simply released the Eternals together as a group millions of years ago, but perhaps in the MCU the Celestials engineered the Eternals much later, i.e. 7000 years ago, and they specifically engineered them to be deployed in a geographically distributed way, so Nezzar the Calculator may have specifically engineered each one to match the genetic characteristics of the people in the region they were to be deployed to.

My main problem is I don't fully understand the motivation of the Celestials to begin with.  I get why the Deviants exist, but why did the Celestials release them?  Seems like Ziran the Tester would just destroy the Deviants as evolutionary dead ends as opposed to allowing them to exist at all.  Why did they set up this fight between the Deviants and Eternals?

On 10/12/2021 at 9:30 AM, fantastic_four said:

The skin color makes sense for any planet.  On Earth that evolved relative to the climate in the region they lived in, so the idea of other planets having varied climates on different parts of the planet seems likely.  What doesn't make as much sense is every other genetic adaptation that mirrors Terran races, i.e. Sersi being Chinese, Phastos being African-American, Ajak being Mexican, Ikaris being Scottish, etc.  Even each actor's natural accents are intact in the trailers, so these characters seem VERY tied to Earth's specific geographical distribution of genetic and cultural characteristics.

Heimdall (from Thor) and Korath (from Guardians) were black, Hogun (from Thor) was Asian with an Asian accent, most of the Xandarians (from Guardians) were white folks with midwest American and British accents, the Grandmaster is Jeff Goldblum, Topaz (the Grandmaster's right hand woman) was brownish, some Kree from Captain Marvel are white with British accents and some are black and blue, etc. Unless specific aliens in the MCU have unearthly colors like pink or purple or have prosthetic make-up, they resemble Earthlings. It is what it is? Best not to think about it too deep? I actually prefer that the MCU is assuming that not all aliens in the galaxy are automatically white folks.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:00 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Unless specific aliens in the MCU have unearthly colors like pink or purple or have prosthetic make-up, they resemble Earthlings. It is what it is? Best not to think about it too deep?

In those other MCU works that aren't about Celestials genetically engineering life around the galaxy--sure.  It's the same basic explanation for why space movies have so many humanoids when in reality it's unlikely humanoids would evolve on any other planet--it's because stories are created for humans, so yea, there are a bunch of humanoids in them because that's what humans want to see.  It doesn't make sense, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief because we know why writers put so many humanoids on other planets.

In this one I can't BEGIN to imagine being at all interested in this story without thinking about the genetics of the Celestials' creations.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 10/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, fantastic_four said:

In those other MCU works that aren't about Celestials genetically engineering life around the galaxy--sure.  It's the same basic explanation for why space movies have so many humanoids when in reality it's unlikely humanoids would evolve on any other planet--it's because stories are created for humans, so yea, there are a bunch of humanoids in them because that's what humans want to see.  It doesn't make sense, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief because we know why writers put so many humanoids on other planets.

In this one I can't BEGIN to imagine being at all interested in this story without thinking about the genetics of the Celestials' creations.

If one wants to try to guess a reasoning why the Eternals might be so diverse in the movie, it could be because of the make-up of the people of Earth 7000 years ago. I think it's theorized that early humans were more brownish and had their origins in Asia and Africa. So maybe these Eternals were created to resemble the Terrans they were helping or defending (from Deviants) so that the Terrans wouldn't be so fearful of them? In other words, if these Eternals were created with blue or pink skin, perhaps early humans might be just as fearful of them as they are of these Deviant creatures running around.

Which is kind of what you theorized one or two posts above.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Eternals’ First-Day Advance Tickets Beating ‘Shang-Chi’ & ‘Black Widow

who needs a PR dept. when you have the Deadline hype machine in full roar?

Way too early US BO guess (if Metacritic >70): $240MM (much like S-C in Sept, has nearly the entire month of November to itself)

Edited by paperheart

On 10/13/2021 at 5:39 PM, paperheart said:

Eternals’ First-Day Advance Tickets Beating ‘Shang-Chi’ & ‘Black Widow

who needs a PR dept. when you have the Deadline hype machine in full roar?

Way too early US BO guess (if Metacritic >70): $240MM (much like S-C in Sept, has nearly the entire month of November to itself)

I am not surprised. I was not interested in the film until I saw the trailer before Shang-Chi. Now I am looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully it meets my increased expectations..........