• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

Reviews have been very positive so far.

They definitely speak to it being different from the traditional MCU film (whatever that reference means). But they have also referred to a very packed -script.

Marvel's Eternals Reviews: What Are Critics' First Reactions?

Next Best Picture's Matt Neglia had a more negative take on the film, saying that "the story is an expository convoluted mess," and has an "uneven tone:"

"Aside from a few dazzling moments & a wonderfully diverse cast, ETERNALS disappointed me. The story is an expository convoluted mess as it jumps through time & multiple continents with an uneven tone. Ramin Djawadi’s score soars but Chloé Zhao’s distinctive style is sadly absent."

And that the big surprises are predictable yet fun.

The Direct's own Richard Nebens praised the film's "great action and visuals" , though admits that there were some "expected... twists:"

"Just got out of the #EternalsWorldPremiere!!! Can’t decide if it’s my favorite 2021 #MCU movie. Some great action and visuals, expected and unexpected twists, yet another solid #MarvelStudios outing. Check this one out! #Eternals"

And that it deviates from the MCU norm to feel like a DC movie.

Slash Film 's Peter Sciretta thought that "sometimes [ Eternals ] feels like a DC film," though he made sure to note that his comparison isn't a negative:

"#Eternals is surprising, epic, beautiful yet dense. It takes some big swings, sometimes feels like a DC film (not a criticism), other times feels like no other superhero movie ever. I wish I had a glowing quick reaction to offer you but I’m left with more complex thoughts."

So mixed reviews blended in with 'MASTERPIECE' and 'SPECTACULAR'.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, fastballspecial said:

My favorite quote so far is this is the movie that Prometheus should have been.

I love panspermia stories so that means I liked Prometheus, so that's a great comment to hear.  :applause:

The story of the Celestials isn't exactly a panspermia tale where life from one planet is seeded onto another, but it is similar with the Celestials changing the course of life on planets so the parallel definitely makes sense.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

Reviews have been very positive so far.

Cover your ears and eyes

Chloe Zhao’s Eternals is masterfully made. It’s beautifully shot and directed, the CGI isn’t all that distracting and we get a look at a very different side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But, that doesn’t stop it from being dull, lackluster and filled with disappointment. The pacing of the film is slow enough for you to doze off and not miss a thing. Eternals feels like a Marvel movie that was directed by Zack Snyder and that’s not a jab at him as I love what he does, but I wouldn’t enjoy it in a Marvel Studios production. The film introduces us to a group of characters that expands over thousands of years throughout Marvel Studios history and you would think that one film is too short of a time to dive into the titular group’s very long past. While Eternals is a work of art, it is hindered by a dull story, poor pacing and very lukewarm performances.

Overall Thoughts: Eternals is the most boring Marvel Studios film yet. Chloe Zhao masterfully directs the film, but it’s ultimately hindered by its very slow pacing and wooden performances. It is definitely a family film but it does feature the studio’s first sex scene so take that as you may. Eternals also features two-post credit scenes that are sure to make your jaw drop. I’d definitely watch it on the biggest screen possible.

Rating: 5/10

On 10/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, HighVoltage said:

Sounding a bit like how some people liked/disliked Ang Lee's Hulk.

But this won't run the risk of failing financially like that film.

Now that there is pretty much a fanatical cult that will do anything to make these films a success (especially domestically), critics and fans can complain. But these movies will make money. Especially when people bring their multi-viewing ticket books to cast members to prove their loyalty, it's a lock this will dominate box office results. See..

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.fe770f32921cdcddb0a3aca0f138ada4.jpg

Spiderman_NWH108.jpg.791f3d3790b63e51b09daa64b77d95cd.jpg

Infinity_War59.thumb.jpg.1f1d9a6b44565cd82883c116bb74f11e.jpg

Endgame021x.PNG.0790cc9aa861aa9e538d1961d72e3000.PNG

On 10/24/2021 at 6:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Now that there is pretty much a fanatical cult that will do anything to make these films a success (especially domestically), critics and fans can complain. But these movies will make money

These dudes make up a handful of people who saw particular MCU films in order to get attention or get in Guiness. The "fanatical MCU cult" doesn't go see these movies 100+ times. If the movie is good, yeah, it'll get multiple views by fans. It it's not that great, like Black Widow, then it won't. Where was this "fanatical cult" for Ant-Man and the Wasp when the two Avengers films that sandwiched it made billions? Maybe they're not that "fanatical." Yes, the MCU has a fan base that shows up at marathon viewings etc., but how is this any different from diehard Star Wars fans? Like Star Wars, the MCU has a diehard fan base because Marvel Studios has created a movie universe that's kind of awesome. This doesn't make the MCU fans "fanatical." At least they don't protest at the houses of Studio heads and send them death threats.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

These dudes make up a handful of people who saw particular MCU films in order to get attention or get in Guiness. The "fanatical MCU cult" doesn't go see these movies 100+ times. If the movie is good, yeah, it'll get multiple views by fans. It it's not that great, like Black Widow, then it won't. Where was this "fanatical cult" for Ant-Man and the Wasp when the two Avengers films that sandwiched it made billions? Maybe they're not that "fanatical." Yes, the MCU has a fan base that shows up at marathon viewings etc., but how is this any different from diehard Star Wars fans? Like Star Wars, the MCU has a diehard fan base because Marvel Studios has created a movie universe that's kind of awesome. This doesn't make the MCU fans "fanatical." At least they don't protest at the houses of Studio heads and send them death threats.

Actually they are some of the more influential MCU fans encouraging such behavior. Which is why they get called out as examples.

But on the last comment (here comes the Snyder fans as a whole story), how about when Sony and Marvel Studios split over Spider-Man in the MCU so fans started encouraging storming the Sony USA HQ? And dropped some lovely sentiments to go along with that. MCU Cosmic who had over 75K followers at the time was the rally point over this, encouraging attacking Sony over stealing Spider-Man rights from Marvel Studios.

MCU_Toxic03.thumb.PNG.d5532d67d135f52d670b722b78aef154.PNG

Sony_MCU_Boycott.thumb.jpg.7e03832068bbfc83973771e7aa21f493.jpg

Then his followers started harassing Sony executives to make their point 'MCU OR BUST'.

MCU_Toxic01.PNG.2213e35c4d68f76333434d613ced05d3.PNG

But yeah. Those Snyder fans. :insane:

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/25/2021 at 9:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Now that there is pretty much a fanatical cult that will do anything to make these films a success (especially domestically), critics and fans can complain. But these movies will make money. Especially when people bring their multi-viewing ticket books to cast members to prove their loyalty, it's a lock this will dominate box office results. See..

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.fe770f32921cdcddb0a3aca0f138ada4.jpg

Spiderman_NWH108.jpg.791f3d3790b63e51b09daa64b77d95cd.jpg

Infinity_War59.thumb.jpg.1f1d9a6b44565cd82883c116bb74f11e.jpg

Endgame021x.PNG.0790cc9aa861aa9e538d1961d72e3000.PNG

Also the Eternals will be an integral part of the MCU so anyone who is invested in any of the intertwined characters will have a stake in this so they will definitely go and see it regardless.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:04 AM, Underground44 said:

Also the Eternals will be an integral part of the MCU so anyone who is invested in any of the intertwined characters will have a stake in this so they will definitely go and see it regardless.

A very fair point as there are those that no matter the variance in quality on rare occasions they love the constant interconnected world. Which I get, as it does feel like the Marvel Comics world.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:04 AM, Underground44 said:

How can we be sure how integral and intertwined it will be?  I would think MCU fans could ignore the role the Celestials and Eternals play in the greater universe just as easily as the vast majority of comics fans have for decades.  You could easily ignore the Eternals without missing much besides what the group itself offers, and you could also dismiss the role the Celestials play as trivia.  I don't dismiss them in that way, but I can easily see how most people would--and it's what I would expect.  I'm hugely interested in evolution and the idea of genetic engineering so the Celestials and their creations are massively appealing to me, but I'm aware that most people find it boring.

Edited by fantastic_four

I can see how this movie would be "overstuffed" just based upon the source material.  Kirby originally wanted to focus on the Celestials with his comic series, but later decided to focus on the Eternals and back into the Celestials.  If the film focuses on the Eternals and only glosses over the Celestials, or tries to split time between the two then yea, it could easily feel overstuffed.  Kirby was hoping he had dozens or hundreds of issues and many years to explore everything, but fitting all that into 2.5 hours is ambitious.

I was hoping they'd split time between the two groups and we wouldn't get a ton of Eternals coverage, but I bet they short-shrifted the Celestials.  I'd prefer more Celestials coverage to understand their motivations, but I bet we don't get it.

Edited by fantastic_four