• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

In the MCU, comedy is greater than anything else. Drama, stakes, etc.

I've recently been trying to 'ignore' jokes when I see an MCU movie on TV. Civil War, Endgame, etc and without some of the unnecessary one-liners the scenes are dramatically improved. It dawned on me that The Winter Soldier was so good because it takes itself seriously.

I love Winter Soldier. Some terrific stuff in there.
This is the one Marvel movie I was able to get my dad to watch & he enjoyed it.

I don't mind one-liners and zingers here and there - I mean, I was a big Arnold movie fan in the 80s! Those had some of the worst (aka: best) one-liners ever. "Stick around."
You can go back to Sean Connery's Bond movies for some of those as well.

But I tend to agree with you. I don't need a bunch of light-hearted goofball stuff when the 'bleep' is going down in the movie.
Maybe the exception is Spidey, as that was *always* his thing, going back to the earliest Lee/Ditko comics. That's very in-character. His non-stop, wisecracking dialog is almost a weapon of its own, driving his foes nuts.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nothing was going to change in The Avengers, regardless of Thor's reception. That is the difference between the MCU and DCEU; Kevin Feige was going to see Phase 1 through no matter what. He didn't change his plan based on the box office or critical reception.

Obviously Feige has never said it, but as I see it, if the blue print for the first Thor movie and its world just doesn't fly with audiences, I don't see the blue print for the first Avengers movie flying with audiences, as Thor Loki and the cosmic element were such a big part of that story. But Feige and co. found a blue print that worked and that laid a foundation for  the cosmic MCU going forward. 

I acknowledge that Guardians was also instrumental in shaping and evolving the cosmic side of Marvel, but it just seems to me that Thor's importance is highly underrated.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Well, after Disney and the stars of the Eternals saying how they were not going to edit this film, and they stand 100% behind everything in it.  Looks like again money means more than their values.  Rumors starting to spread the film will be edited to remove certain scenes to get the film released in more markets.

https://thedirect.com/article/eternals-disney-sexy-censor-removal-international-release

I'm a fan of treating 'controversial' moments as nothing special, kind of like the lesbian kiss in TROS. We want them to be treated equally IRL, right? Then let's not pretend that they're anything different on-film. The lesbian kiss in TROS is better than Rose kissing Finn in TLJ.

Edit: I mentioned this because I have read/heard that a 'controversial' moment in The Eternals is allegedly not treated as special. I hope that I'm not being misled.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 11/10/2021 at 12:01 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm a fan of treating 'controversial' moments as nothing special, kind of like the lesbian kiss in TROS. We want them to be treated equally IRL, right? Then let's not pretend that they're anything different on-film. The lesbian kiss in TROS is better than Rose kissing Finn in TLJ.

Edit: I mentioned this because I have read/heard that a 'controversial' moment in The Eternals is allegedly not treated as special. I hope that I'm not being misled.

I think the movie should be left alone.  It is made by a western country with western values, and we should stick with it.  Just mentioning it because, Disney has done these types of edits before, and claimed they would not on this film.

It is a rumor at this point, hope it remains just that.

Edited by drotto

On 11/10/2021 at 12:34 PM, drotto said:

I think the movie should be left alone.  It is made by a western country with western values, and we should stick with it...

Absolutely. The creative minds released it whole. There's a reason that most - if not all - "director's cuts" are better and definitive versions of film.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, drotto said:

I think the movie should be left alone.  It is made by a western country with western values, and we should stick with it.  Just mentioning it because, Disney has done these types of edits before, and claimed they would not on this film.

Disney crossed the line when they edited out Daryl Hannahs bum. Mess with Star Wars all you want but some things are sacred and should be left alone.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, MattTheDuck said:

If the humor, one-liners, zingers, etc were left out, the movies would not be true to the comics.  But maybe that's not a goal.

There's an overabundance. There's a lot of very-well place humor and one-liners, but enough is enough. When Stark takes the nuke into the wormhole seriously, the drama is palpable. When Rhodey makes a Cheez-Whiz joke while Thor is essentially breaking down from depression and disillusion, it cuts the serious nature of the tone the scene was setting.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:19 PM, rexinnih said:

Thinking of taking the kids (10, 12) tomorrow to see this as they have the day off. They've seen every other MCU movie. Anyone take kids and were they fidgety or did they watch it?

Kids will like it, at least some kids in my theater seemed to love it. I think there's enough action, monsters, and costumed heroes to keep kids engaged. There is a love scene, fyi.

On 11/11/2021 at 5:37 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Kids will like it, at least some kids in my theater seemed to love it. I think there's enough action, monsters, and costumed heroes to keep kids engaged. There is a love scene, fyi.

Mild Spoilers: The love scene is between Team America and NFL SuperPro.