• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Business of Signed Comic Books

30 posts in this topic

Just now, dupont2005 said:

My eye is feeling better and the swelling has gone down considerably, although it’s still slightly swollen. Instead of seeing a doctor about it I’m going to spend the day working on my car 

You should at least call the advice nurse.  You only have 2 eyes.

17 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

Interesting article. Sums up nicely the current state of signed books. Some new info and old.

https://www.newsarama.com/44090-who-signs-what-and-why.html

I agree. Thank you for posting this Krydel4. :applause:

"Most creators charge a fee for witnessed books, their thought being that 'The grading company and the witness are getting paid, so why not me?' "

31 minutes ago, the blob said:

So, in sum, getting a SS verification always adds between $150-$20,000 in value per book. Pretty much anything these guys charge is reasonable because you will definitely make money too.

Ah, if only that were true. :cloud9:

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

So, in sum, getting a SS verification always adds between $150-$20,000 in value per book. Pretty much anything these guys charge is reasonable because you will definitely make money too.

I wouldn't say "always", but most ( not all, to avoid any confusion ) who're heavily invested in SS are hoping to sell whatever book it is for more money than the equivalent graded blue label.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Do you think that this would make them somewhat biased in any discussion of signing fees?

I don't do SS, though I have in the past and I'm close with people who are HEAVILY invested in it so I like to think that I have some knowledge of the process.

If it were me and I made my living selling slabbed books, with SS being the lions share of what I sell, yes I would be very biased as it would be affecting my bottom line.

That's just logical.

The argument that is purposely ignored is this one: no one has a problem with creators charging whatever they want. The problem lies in being charged a different, higher price for the exact same service.

Those arguing that the problem is that it is "affecting the bottom line" aren't being honest with you. They can keep arguing that all day long...it doesn't make it true. They want to argue over and over and over....and over....and over again that it's an economic issues, when it's not, and never has been. So, claims of "bias" are, at best, unfounded, and at worst, blatant dishonesty to muddy the issue.

Again: creators are free to charge whatever they want. The issue is charging a different, higher price for the exact same service.

Stan Lee, for example, was charging (or, rather, his handlers were charging) $175+ towards the very end.

Stan Lee never...at least publicly...charged different, higher price for the exact same service.

He charged the same price to everyone, and never did he, nor his handlers, ever ask "is that for CGC/CBCS/PGX/Whatever?"