• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear Bronze Age Collector: Where would Hulk 181 place among the top Silver Age keys?

85 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, lowgradecomics said:

Oh no!  What kind of dog?  I have a 12 year old Samoyed I don't think will be around much longer, can't stand the thought!  My condolences!  

Thanks man. He was a yorkie. Died from liver disease. Was only 9, which is still young for a yorkie. Weird how pets become your family, right?

On that note, I'm seeing Pet Semetary this weekend. lol

Edited by Darkowl

Just now, Darkowl said:

Thanks man. He was a yorkie. Died from liver disease. Was only 9, which is still young for a yorkie. Weird how pets become your family, right?

That's too bad. To own a dog is to know that one day you will cry.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:05 PM, valiantman said:

This is now dated (mid-2015), but you mentioned "if IH 181 had a similar census and age"... so one solution is to multiply the value by the supply (census) and get a measure of demand.

Here's how it looked in mid-2015 using the average grade and the market price for that average grade, multiplied by the census:

marketcap_201506.png

Your guess of "after AF15 and IH1, but before FF1" is exactly what this method showed.

I think the method of using "market cap" to rank desirability breaks down a little when evaluating Golden Age books. It makes sense with stocks because investors can buy pretty much whatever public stock they want. But the prices of individual issues of key Golden Age books are just too prohibitive to own for a larger portion of collectors. I think if there were 10x or 100x as many copies of Detective #27 or Action #1 available, you'd find that the prices on those books would be significantly more than 1/10 or 1/100 the current value, because there would be a lot more collectors that would be in the market for one. Those books are basically the Berkshire Hathaway of the comics market.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think the method of using "market cap" to rank desirability breaks down a little when evaluating Golden Age books. It makes sense with stocks because investors can buy pretty much whatever public stock they want. But the prices of individual issues of key Golden Age books are just too prohibitive to own for a larger portion of collectors. I think if there were 10x or 100x as many copies of Detective #27 or Action #1 available, you'd find that the prices on those books would be significantly more than 1/10 or 1/100 the current value, because there would be a lot more collectors that would be in the market for one. Those books are basically the Berkshire Hathaway of the comics market.

True, but it is fascinating to me how the market handles the actual counts and the fact that some of these books are high six-figures (if not $1M+).  The supply times value gets us a measure of demand. It isn't perfect, but it's a useful measure.

See how Action #1 was $18M in 2015 and Detective #27 was $17M?  Most people argue that Superman and Batman are basically equal, but that single book comparison gives the edge to Superman.  But... if you throw Superman #1 in the mix, you get $23M for Superman's "big 2" books, and if you put Batman #1 with Detective #27, you get $23M for Batman's "big 2" books.   Identical totals. 

Fascinating. :cloud9:

52 minutes ago, valiantman said:

True, but it is fascinating to me how the market handles the actual counts and the fact that some of these books are high six-figures (if not $1M+).  The supply times value gets us a measure of demand. It isn't perfect, but it's a useful measure.

See how Action #1 was $18M in 2015 and Detective #27 was $17M?  Most people argue that Superman and Batman are basically equal, but that single book comparison gives the edge to Superman.  But... if you throw Superman #1 in the mix, you get $23M for Superman's "big 2" books, and if you put Batman #1 with Detective #27, you get $23M for Batman's "big 2" books.   Identical totals. 

Fascinating. :cloud9:

BabyishBogusAmericanwarmblood-size_restricted.gif