• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The current state of the comic book market

192 posts in this topic

Stupid question but - can you even get a personal subscription to a comic title anymore or do you have to go thru an LCS? 

Used to love getting my monthly subscriptions in the mailbox as a kid. That really set in the collecting hook. Also made it easy for relatives to buy a sub as a present.

24 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Sorry, not a chance.  Paper has been dying for years and that trend will not change and comics are not immune.  How many people still read newspapers, send piles of Christmas cards, curl up with a good book, get real mail in their snailmail box, subscribe to Time or People magazine? 

I'd be surprised if Marvel and DC were still publishing comics in their current form 5 years from now.  The reboots, variants, and hoard of marginal titles are all an attempt by the publishers to suck out as much money as possible from their remaining customers.

Exactly.  It's not about kids reading comics... it's about anybody reading anything that's not on an illuminated screen.  We have thousands of books in our shop... science-fiction, mystery, horror, literature, plus vintage and collectible editions.  Years ago we would sell $500 to $1,000 per week just in used books (with a smaller selection than we have now).  Last week we sold $32.  Books are dead.  And it is ludicrous to think that comic books alone will be immune to this trend.  Books were king for 500 years... it was a great run while it lasted.  But it's over.

9 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Exactly.  It's not about kids reading comics... it's about anybody reading anything that's not on an illuminated screen.  We have thousands of books in our shop... science-fiction, mystery, horror, literature, plus vintage and collectible editions.  Years ago we would sell $500 to $1,000 per week just in used books (with a smaller selection than we have now).  Last week we sold $32.  Books are dead.  And it is ludicrous to think that comic books alone will be immune to this trend.  Books were king for 500 years... it was a great run while it lasted.  But it's over.

Great post. 

On 3/1/2019 at 9:32 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Today’s kids and teens don’t read, ‘cause reading is hard.  :cry:

Actually the younger generation of today most likely reads way more than the younger generations of the 1950s to 1990s ever did. When you are on the internet you are reading and interacting with people continuously, that`s a leap up in reading by volume compared to past generations who sat around and were mesmired by those 12-19 inch TVs which ruled the family living rooms from those eras.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Actually the younger generation of today most likely reads way more than the younger generations of the 1950s to 1990s ever did. When you are on the internet you are reading and interacting with people continuously, that`s a leap up in reading by volume compared to past generations who sat around and were mesmired by those 12-19 inch TVs which ruled the family living rooms from those eras.

Reading some dimwits nonsensical ramblings is technically reading, but that's not what he meant lol

46 minutes ago, bc said:

Stupid question but - can you even get a personal subscription to a comic title anymore or do you have to go thru an LCS? 

Used to love getting my monthly subscriptions in the mailbox as a kid. That really set in the collecting hook. Also made it easy for relatives to buy a sub as a present.

I used to love that too - but as far as I can tell they don’t do that anymore - God forbid if there is a first appearance and LCS dont get first dibs 

42 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I love actual books but I do know I'm in the minority.  I love folding the corner when I'm done reading for the night.  But I'm also cheap and only get books from the library so that is no help.

Edited by 1Cool

What kid is going to pay $48 for a years worth of Spider-Man? Can the publisher even put out a full years of issues without rebooting, renaming, renumbering, or just ending a series? Subscriptions would be an absolute mess. And then there’s always the possibility you randomly see Spider-Man’s junk in an issue and you can’t mail that out to a bunch of 10 year olds. 

Marketing mainstream super hero comics to middle aged men was the dumbest most short sighted move Marvel and DC could have made. Now we’re all that’s left. And it’s not like we wouldn’t have been buying it if it was still all ages friendly. We are the ones reading the classic Code Approved comics too. All they did was alienate the younger readers. What percentage of super hero comic readers became fans as adults? Extremely rare. These star spangled speedo wearing heroes are for kids no matter how much sex and violence you throw at them. You need to hook the readers young because you’re not going to hook a grown man in his 30’s with a job and kids and repairs around the house and adult hobbies like betting on sports or building speedboats to start spending his time and money on this stuff without childhood nostalgia driving it

4 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

What kid is going to pay $48 for a years worth of Spider-Man? Can the publisher even put out a full years of issues without rebooting, renaming, renumbering, or just ending a series? Subscriptions would be an absolute mess. And then there’s always the possibility you randomly see Spider-Man’s junk in an issue and you can’t mail that out to a bunch of 10 year olds. 

Marketing mainstream super hero comics to middle aged men was the dumbest most short sighted move Marvel and DC could have made. Now we’re all that’s left. And it’s not like we wouldn’t have been buying it if it was still all ages friendly. We are the ones reading the classic Code Approved comics too. All they did was alienate the younger readers. What percentage of super hero comic readers became fans as adults? Extremely rare. These star spangled speedo wearing heroes are for kids no matter how much sex and violence you throw at them. You need to hook the readers young because you’re not going to hook a grown man in his 30’s with a job and kids and repairs around the house and adult hobbies like betting on sports or building speedboats to start spending his time and money on this stuff without childhood nostalgia driving it

Building speedboats is a hobby? Man I'm sheltered.

Just now, Logan510 said:

Reading some dimwits nonsensical ramblings is technically reading, but that's not what he meant lol

The new generation reads way more and it`s not even close. The internet has a lot of reading and typing. I would never sell the younger generations short.

I always get a kick out these threads. A bunch of older dudes asking why don't younger people buy modern comics when they themselves haven't bought any modern comics.

I know guys on here that complain about what Marvel/DC do,but they themselves haven't read a Marvel/DC comic in 25 years, yet they are wondering why young people don't buy comics?

lol.

That`s why Marvel and DC made those changes to their characters because the old middle-aged male guard abandoned their comics,so they had to put focus on females,minorities and younger people to try comics.

The comic industry is fine. Bigger than ever with the movies.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The new generation reads way more and it`s not even close. The internet has a lot of reading and typing. I would never sell the younger generations short.

I always get a kick out these threads. A bunch of older dudes asking why don't younger people buy modern comics when they themselves haven't bought any modern comics.

I know guys on here that complain about what Marvel/DC do,but they themselves haven't read a Marvel/DC comic in 25 years, yet they are wondering why young people don't buy comics?

lol.

That`s why Marvel and DC made those changes to their characters because the old middle-aged male guard abandoned their comics,so they had to put focus on females,minorities and younger people to try comics.

The comic industry is fine. Bigger than ever with the movies.

You always talk about how old everyone is here. You said you have 3 kids, how old are you?

10 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

What kid is going to pay $48 for a years worth of Spider-Man?

Especially when you could get the PS4 Spider-Man for $35. That year`s worth of ASM sub would be a monthly 10 minute read people would be paying for while the PS4 Spider-Man game would last hundreds of hours of entertainment.

One gives hours of entertainment, while the other is good for 10 minutes of monthly attention but more expensive.

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Oh good lord, the way you talk I thought you were under 30 easy.

You're not exactly a millennial yourself, but I will give you credit for not being afraid of change.

I can also see print media being gone within 10 years. I prefer to read regular comics, but I'll read digital when travelling.

As long as the medium doesn't go away I'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

$32 in a week.  God, that’s worse than I could possibly imagine

25 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Agreed, a lot of us were the same generation that got screwed over in the 90s.. except now we have more income... I bet the same generation will get screwed over again lol 

Just now, Logan510 said:

Oh good lord, the way you talk I thought you were under 30 easy.

You're not exactly a millennial yourself, but I will give you credit for not being afraid of change.

I can also see print media being gone within 10 years. I prefer to read regular comics, but I'll read digital when travelling.

As long as the medium doesn't go away I'll be fine.

I just don't want to end up like some of my relatives. They became old bitter men who were the stereotype for 

Image result for get off my lawn

10 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I can also see print media being gone within 10 years.

I have a friend in the newspaper sales business. Boston Herald/Lowell Sun. He says over 80 percent of the people that subscribe are 60 plus and loses customers to death(old age) monthly. Once that generation is finally gone the newspaper business will be worst than it is now in 5-10 years.