• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Preferred Grade
3 3

43 posts in this topic

Back around 2004 when I seriously started collecting PCH, I was only considering books 8.0 and above. Jump forward to around 2012 and 7.0-7.5s were ok. Today I’m happy with 3 to 6.5s depending on the book. Prices keep rising but I want to keep collecting. It’s a compromise I can live with!

2 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I prefer low grade books with some major flaw like a detached cover keeping the grade down. :/

Action19.jpg

There has to be some other notable flaw aside from a detached cover and wrap for this to only get a 1.5

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

If every 4.5 I got looked like this that would be my sweet spot. 

When it comes to fat spine GA I can be perfectly happy at 3.0-5.0 as long as colors are vibrant and no big chunks off the front cover.  Man, I love spine splits!

1E671402-14CD-43C7-A867-F92BEFB570B4.jpeg

Cool book Rick, :takeit:(:

I know of a prominent collector who hates spine splits.There are so many potential defects that a book can exhibit, we’re back to presentabity.

7 hours ago, catman76 said:

I hate grades and don't care. As long as I can see it and read it I don't care what "grade" it's in at all. 

I so wish all other collectors were like you.

I look for color, I'm not fussy about the grades as much as the colors. I learned about GA from a low grade collector so that's where I started, but I'd say 4.0 is the grade I look for when I want to upgrade. With that being said, my books just vary, because I'd rather have a copy of a book I like, rather than none at all. 

Spine splits don't bother me in slabs,but they do in raw books because I'm afraid I'll make them bigger when I look through the book and I shy away from anything brittle or tan.  Since I bought a CR book last year that turned out to have all the pages split once the case was opened, I a little hesitant about those as well.

The one problem I'm seeing lately is a lot of the 6.0's seem to look like the 4.0's of a few years ago.

Cut-off for me, largely, is 5.0. For keys, I try to stay 5.0-6.5 (have dipped below a couple times). I might like 5.5, specifically, there the most. Once you hit grade, you can jump quite a bit in price, depending on the book. 5.5s are great value for bigger books.

I like to put together runs and look for higher grade stuff (7.5 and up) for “regular” parts of a run. 

Generally, however, 5.0 is my floor. 

Interesting time to be a high-grade collector. Conventional wisdom is that such books get locked into private collections, but then again as prices escalate books can be released into the market.

Not to be controversial, but pressing, dry cleaning, etc., seem to also be increasing the availability of books in grade.