• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Framing Issue

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm having a nice piece of art framed by a recommended high end framer from a dealer.  He wants to use acid free tape on the edges of the work.  Is this good or bad?  In the past my local guy used corners.  What is your opinion?

No tape. Even acid free tape will break down and you don't want that on a piece of art. A good framer should know that. I had a supposedly good framer do that to a piece once. I only knew because I went to another framer to have it adjusted and found out what a poor job the previous guy did. Too many fly by night framers out there that I've seen. Best get into the frame job yourself. It's not that difficult for the average frame job.

6 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Best get into the frame job yourself. It's not that difficult for the average frame job.

Yes! DIY, if you can manage the skillset (pretty basic here btw), is almost always going to be cheaper (assuming you'll do the job several times not just once) and eliminate all worries you have handing it off and what's hidden when it comes back. You'll need a mat-cutter and then just order the framing materials you like from there...pictureframes.com is just one affordable source; DickBlick.com for pricier but (likely) higher quality...but there are so many, just bang out a Google search and you're off!

image.thumb.png.9ba08ca7d27a5e496ad03ee8af7426bc.png

28 minutes ago, vodou said:

Yes! DIY, if you can manage the skillset (pretty basic here btw), is almost always going to be cheaper (assuming you'll do the job several times not just once) and eliminate all worries you have handing it off and what's hidden when it comes back. You'll need a mat-cutter and then just order the framing materials you like from there...pictureframes.com is just one affordable source; DickBlick.com for pricier but (likely) higher quality...but there are so many, just bang out a Google search and you're off!

image.thumb.png.9ba08ca7d27a5e496ad03ee8af7426bc.png

I agree that the mat cutting aspect is pretty easy and that tool (or similar) is all you need if you are going for standard pre-built frames. I usually also use a sheet of acid free paper as backing to stick corners on... oh and you are going to want to search online for clear UV protection plexi (don't go for anti-glare unless you are framing posters or something you are wanting to lay the plexi directly onto without a mat, anti-glare does not present with good clarity if it isn't laid directly onto what you are framing).

I always seem to lose the motivation to do more because I know I will buy more and then want to plan a different layout. So I put it off. My problem could probably be best solved by having shelves for my frames but I know that my family will either end up knocking everything over or complain about being constantly paranoid about knocking everything over (as my art is mostly in a stairwell). Going to have to settle for command strips https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004051TE2/ref=asc_df_B004051TE258710440 and put up with buying new each time I rearrange.

I've cut my own mattes but never put the money into one of those matte cutting rigs.  They're several hundred dollars. 

I've used a hand-held matte cutter with a 4 foot long wide aluminum ruler and "C" clamps.  Be careful and patient when measuring and marking where to cut. 

Draw a diagram of how you'll make your cuts, fill in the measurements and do the arithmetic, you should do that no matter how you cut the mattes. 

Otherwise, my "system" has worked out pretty well.  You need to be able to cut with a beveled edge for the matte opening and a straight edge to cut to size.  So you may need 2 matte cutters.  Try to get a 4 ply acid-free board on the back. 

Lineco makes all kind of archival products for mounting.  It's good to be familiar with those.