• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question on foxing and graders notes
2 2

42 posts in this topic

Hey all 

Thanks for looking this is my first post.I'm new so don't beat me up to bad. I recently picked up an asm 14 graded cgc 3.5 my first expensive book. I bought it from a well known online shop but there were no scans of the back cover. I decided to buy the grader notes before pulling the trigger and there was no mention of foxing when I received it the other day I noticed 2 or 3 small dark brown dots on the back cover. I will post pictures when I get home I'm just curious of everyone's opinion could it just be dirt? Does cgc ever miss foxing or is a 3.5 to low of a grade to matter.here are the notes until I get pictures up. Thanks

Screenshot_20190305-120219_Drive.jpg

20190305_132819.jpg

Edited by Talesofsuspense
Add photo

On 3/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, The Lions Den said:

It does look like light foxing. It probably wasn't mentioned in the notes because the other flaws are more serious. Light foxing is allowed on CGC graded books up to 9.4...

Can you direct me to where this is written?  Sorry to be a bother, but I'm in the middle of a big book deal that has "light foxing".

50 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Can you direct me to where this is written?  Sorry to be a bother, but I'm in the middle of a big book deal that has "light foxing".

Lion's Den was correct about why the Foxing was not listed. In theory, only flaws that affect the grade are listed. Every flaw is not listed. Regarding your request to see these 'rules' written, I don't think so. BTW, in your case/example the light foxing must have been meaningful to list and affects the grade.

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Lion's Den was correct about why the Foxing was not listed. In theory, only flaws that affect the grade are listed. Every flaw is not listed. Regarding your request to see these 'rules' written, I don't think so. BTW, in your case/example the light foxing must have been meaningful to list and affects the grade.

Thanks Bomber-Bob. 

If I understand correctly, a book can still be as high as a 9.4 with foxing?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks Bomber-Bob. 

If I understand correctly, a book can still be as high as a 9.4 with foxing?

I've personally had a submission, with back cover foxing, as high as 9.6 . I'm not sure if CGC has tightened up on this flaw but I do believe 9.4 will be allowed.

Thank you for the confirmation concerning foxing. The information I'm sharing here has been acquired from a number of sources, including encapsulated books I've purchased over the years and books I can remember grading during my time with CGC. I share this information in an effort to help educate fellow collectors so they can make more informed decisions when buying CGC books, or when submitting books to CGC for grading. I sincerely hope it helps...

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Does Foxing then really mostly affect PQ then?

I don’t think so. But I may be misunderstanding your question. When I think of PQ, I’m thinking about the traditional “brittle to white” range.  The book I’m looking at has light foxing on the cover but the pages are “white”.

21 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t think so. But I may be misunderstanding your question. When I think of PQ, I’m thinking about the traditional “brittle to white” range.  The book I’m looking at has light foxing on the cover but the pages are “white”.

yeah when I am thinking page quality I was thinking more of the cream or off white pages and wondering if foxing affects this mostly?

8 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

yeah when I am thinking page quality I was thinking more of the cream or off white pages and wondering if foxing affects this mostly?

Well that’s a logical question, but since Cgc still gave my book white pages, I guess not

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well that’s a logical question, but since Cgc still gave my book white pages, I guess not

I guess so lol myabe @The Lions Den could weigh in on this question 

18 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

11 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I guess so lol myabe @The Lions Den could weigh in on this question 

Foxing can affect the pages as well as the cover---I've seen it on both. And I have seen it on pages that were in off white to white condition, but never on pristine white pages. I do believe there has to be some type of degradation to the paper in order for foxing to take place, be it poor storage or impurities in the paper which cause a chemical reaction as the paper ages. There are other folks here with extensive knowledge of this subject, but it usually appears as reddish brown stains which can affect any part of a comic book...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Foxing can affect the pages as well as the cover---I've seen it on both. And I have seen it on pages that were in off white to white condition, but never on pristine white pages. I do believe there has to be some type of degradation to the paper in order for foxing to take place, be it poor storage or impurities in the paper which cause a chemical reaction as the paper ages. There are other folks here with extensive knowledge of this subject, but it usually appears as reddish brown stains which can affect any part of a comic book...

Does foxing "get worse?"

My 7.5 IH 181... has heavy foxing on the back cover...

I'm just not sure how I should feel about it... ???