• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My golden age adventure
4 4

150 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Lukesaurus said:

Thanks , i saw the one on mycomicshop , weird price , also saw one on ebay VG for $200 . Finally took a better look at ebay sold listings and a VG+ sold for $133. Guess the book is on the rise .

It's a somewhat gruesome PCH cover, so in those cases, disregard guide.

Cover for Chamber of Chills Magazine (Harvey, 1951 series) #16

12 hours ago, fifties said:
On 3/10/2019 at 12:34 AM, waaaghboss said:

To kind of piggy back on this topic, I was in a shop today and was shown a raw Captain America Comics #2.  Price on the book was $5,500.  I need to go back and get a better look at it, but I'd guess it was in mid grade.  Looked flat, cover was complete.  Was caught by surprise but I should have taken a much closer look.  Has anyone bought something this expensive in a shop before?  I want to go back and make an offer, but I'm not really sure in how to go about it.  It's a book I'd never considered being within my realm of possibility, but I'm now considering selling off my Magic collection to try and get close to the asking price.  Guide has 4.0 at 5k, and the shop tends to run a bit high on pricing books.  Would I offend the owner by coming back and trying to haggle?

You say that the shop runs high in their pricing, so I would take that to be, as in the above post, they expect lower offers.  Kind of like eBay's "make an offer".  Don't EVER worry about "offending" a seller; by contrast, you are giving them a compliment in making an offer.  I would start at 15-20% below their asking price, and see how the negotiating trends.  If they won't negotiate, you have to decide if their asking price is what you could get as an owner selling it on eBay.

If it's actually in the type of mid-grade condition that the OP was talking about, my main concern would not be on negotiating for a lower price, but rather if there is any hidden restoration work on the book.  After all, most GA collectors (let alone a comic shop dealer) should know that GA Cap's normally sell at a sizable premium to guide.  This copy here seems to be priced well below the going rate and would instantly raise some red flags to me.  hm

The best advice is to follow what Cat said in his earlier post here: (thumbsu

On 3/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Shops ...I'm assuming it's a comic shop... should know what they're dealing with, but weird opportunities do happen. At $5500 even a raw SP restored mid-grade should be worth the price (5.0 universal grade lists for over $6000 in Overstreet, and you can throw out the Guide with Cap).  If you're in doubt, ask someone with a bit more grading experience that you trust look at it with you.  My caveat would be that it should be examined closely, ...make sure it's complete, check the PQ, ask about prior ownership, repairs, if any, and make sure any known flaws are fully disclosed before pulling the trigger. 

On 3/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/6/2019 at 12:35 AM, Lukesaurus said:

I have only recently started getting into Golden Age books , don't have a really big disposable income to spend on them and after reading several threads on the Golden age board it seems I am a bit late to the party .

So am I late ? 

:idea:   Just thought of something here.

If you want, you could go to the current CC auction and do a sort from Lowest Price to Highest Price to see what comes up.

For example, it looks like this perfectly beautiful book is still sitting there with a high bid of only a dollar for now:

gen2.571a.jpg

Well, look at this:

It's now the week of the actual auction and this little photo cover beauty which I had identified last week is still sitting there at the top of the charts for only $1 if you select the Lowest Price First sort option on CC's Event Auction website.  

Maybe I should toss in a bid of $2, but I don't want to see this book lose it's #1 top spot with a bullet if I do that. lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If it's actually in the type of mid-grade condition that the OP was talking about, my main concern would not be on negotiating for a lower price, but rather if there is any hidden restoration work on the book.  After all, most GA collectors (let alone a comic shop dealer) should know that GA Cap's normally sell at a sizable premium to guide.  This copy here seems to be priced well below the going rate and would instantly raise some red flags to me.  hm

The best advice is to follow what Cat said in his earlier post here: (thumbsu

We all give suggestions based on our own experiences.  Since I normally buy lower-priced reader-grade raw books, restoration wouldn't be a large concern to me.  Of course you have a different collecting aim, so in your view of course that's valid reasoning.

Edited by fifties

On 3/8/2019 at 4:38 AM, Lukesaurus said:

On another note , in April I will receive a tax return of about $1500 , I was thinking about buying a bigger and nicer book . Right now i'm thinking of a Showcase 22 in2.0 - 2.5. I haven't looked at any GA books as I'm not so familiar with them . What cool GA books could I get ? Perhaps some mid grade EC ? or Planet Comics ? Low grade Batman 2-9 ? 

Well, if you are thinking about a BIGGER book, I don't think you'll be able to find many that's bigger than this one here:

com15.4a.jpg

A 200-page whaler which is definitely much bigger than those scrawny SA books or even the standard 68-page GA books.  Since it's only running at a shade over $200 right now, page for page it's probably a steal at only a dollar a page.  lol

Now if you are talking about nice, I just wish the front cover was as nice as the bulldog of a back cover here:

com15.4b.jpg

Seriously though, I love these big squarebound books as the first vintage collectible comic book I ever purchased was a snow white copy of New Book of Comics #2 which was a 100-page squarebound book with the sturdy cardboard covers.  Just couldn't resist it as the front cover was even better than this book here and the back cover was just spotless white.  :cloud9:

Unless of course, you are talking bigger in the sense of quality as opposed to quantity, then I can't help you there.  :wink:

Edited by lou_fine

Now that is a BIG book :bigsmile: . I was referring to a bigger value book :p 

But keep up the recommendations , they help a lot .

Also does anyone have any idea if there is a website where i can search for covers with a specific theme ?

I really enjoy PCH rat covers :angel:

51 minutes ago, Lukesaurus said:

Also does anyone have any idea if there is a website where i can search for covers with a specific theme ?

Just a google search for images...

48 minutes ago, Lukesaurus said:

Well, my bad then...........if you want a bigger value book, then how about this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-whitepages....

And if that one there doesn't rock your boat, how about going for this big enchilada then:  lol

action-comics-1-cgc-9.0-white-600x946.jpg

Always glad to help a new board member out.  :bigsmile:

On 3/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, Lukesaurus said:

The first time i read about Doll Man was in The League of Regrettable Superheroes  

There are a lot of weird Golden Age superheroes presented there . Fun read.

68B9DF77-F79F-4B28-AC0B-3853789746EC.jpeg

8D60EE40-102F-4C9F-8DA0-DB18FA21D6D4.jpeg

Great book. There’s a partner book: The League of Regrettable Supervillains. Really!

6 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

Beware #11 by Youthful, Black Cat Mystery #49, & Witches Tales 13, both by Harvey Comics, all have rat covers.

42 minutes ago, fifties said:
7 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

Beware #11 by Youthful, Black Cat Mystery #49, & Witches Tales 13, both by Harvey Comics, all have rat covers.

Torture Jar! :headbang:

WitchesTales13.jpg

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are thinking about a BIGGER book, I don't think you'll be able to find many that's bigger than this one here:

com15.4a.jpg

A 200-page whaler which is definitely much bigger than those scrawny SA books or even the standard 68-page GA books.  Since it's only running at a shade over $200 right now, page for page it's probably a steal at only a dollar a page.  lol

Now if you are talking about nice, I just wish the front cover was as nice as the bulldog of a back cover here:

com15.4b.jpg

Seriously though, I love these big squarebound books as the first vintage collectible comic book I ever purchased was a snow white copy of New Book of Comics #2 which was a 100-page squarebound book with the sturdy cardboard covers.  Just couldn't resist it as the front cover was even better than this book here and the back cover was just spotless white.  :cloud9:

Unless of course, you are talking bigger in the sense of quality as opposed to quantity, then I can't help you there.  :wink:

Not normally one to brag about size, but...

123.jpg

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, my bad then...........if you want a bigger value book, then how about this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-whitepages....

And if that one there doesn't rock your boat, how about going for this big enchilada then:  lol

action-comics-1-cgc-9.0-white-600x946.jpg

Always glad to help a new board member out.  :bigsmile:

Could you please direct me to where i can sell my kidneys on the black market? (:

9 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

Could you please direct me to where i can sell my kidneys on the black market? (:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I think you are going to have to sell more body parts than just your liver if you want to get either one of those 2 books. lol

I was reading an article on organ harvesting in China from the Epoch Times recently, and from their valuation metric, even if you sell every organ in your body it would not be enough for the Action 1.  :frown:

How many other members do you have in your family?  hm  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/12/2019 at 4:51 PM, Lukesaurus said:

Three options:

1. Read through the PCH threads on the Boards. where people have randomly posted their copies.

2.  Systematically look through all the PCH issues on GCD (there are about 1500 of them).  I have a copy of a list.

3. Create a thread on the Boards asking people to post their PCH rat covers.  I don't think there are many beyond the ones listed.

There will be some great interior stories involving rats like in this issue.

https://www.comics.org/issue/9518/cover/4/

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Systematically look through all the PCH issues on GCD (there are about 1500 of them).  I have a copy of a list.

I like Western covers with horses on them. Would you suggest I look at all ~5000 of them :insane:

I agree that systematically looking at the entire genre is the best way to go from 0 to 60, if not 0 to 100.