• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on a trade. X
2 2

84 posts in this topic

I haven't sent anything the other way and wanted the opinion of this board. It just took a day to get approved. 

Initially he accepted an ASM 129 cbcs 9.0 but  then decided he wanted the GSXM. I got tunnel vision on the X Men 1 and not really knowing the potential growth compared to my books I told him I will agree to it once I do a little research. 

Tricky subject since it sounds like he already agreed to the deal.  If he backs out due to comments in this thread will he be in the wrong?  If he said ok to the deal and they are just working out the final details then I think it's a lesson learned.

8 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

This is a nice looking 4.5 and what looks to be a legit Stan sig.  You might be able to trade one book and get cash back.

check out the thread suggested :foryou: 

8 minutes ago, Flamesfan1982 said:

I haven't sent anything the other way and wanted the opinion of this board. It just took a day to get approved. 

Initially he accepted an ASM 129 cbcs 9.0 but  then decided he wanted the GSXM. I got tunnel vision on the X Men 1 and not really knowing the potential growth compared to my books I told him I will agree to it once I do a little research. 

20 minutes ago, Flamesfan1982 said:

the phrase "I will agree to it once I do a little research" is tricky. 

Sounds like you've said you'll agree to it... but you need to do research first? 

So in actuality it's more like to you the terms are in the right ball park, but you need to do a little research before you agree to it 

At minimum I would say loose the cash from the deal. Even doing 2 books for 1 he comes out ahead. Now some people need a sweetener when they are trading away the best of the books in a 2 of 1 deal, so it makes sense if the 2 books are slightly more valuable than the 1. And they are by about $500, which is pretty generous considering all three of the books involved are easy to sell/trade. 

39 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

the phrase "I will agree to it once I do a little research" is tricky. 

Sounds like you've said you'll agree to it... but you need to do research first? 

So in actuality it's more like to you the terms are in the right ball park, but you need to do a little research before you agree to it 

At minimum I would say loose the cash from the deal. Even doing 2 books for 1 he comes out ahead. Now some people need a sweetener when they are trading away the best of the books in a 2 of 1 deal, so it makes sense if the 2 books are slightly more valuable than the 1. And they are by about $500, which is pretty generous considering all three of the books involved are easy to sell/trade. 

Judge Judy might say 'since there was no definition given for what 'a little research' is, there is no contract.  One person's little research might be 5 minutes.  Another's might be 30 years.  Also there has to be an acceptance for a valid contract.

Backing out of a done deal is seen as a big deal on the boards.  you are new so it may not matter to you but if you want to continue to be a part of the boards the attitude of "what is he going to do" is a not a good stance.  I'm not saying you did anything wrong but your initial post said you had a tentative deal.

If this is what you said then it's really up to how you said it.  You can't say - it's a deal and then say I need to do some research. 

"I haven't sent anything the other way and wanted the opinion of this board. It just took a day to get approved. 

Initially he accepted an ASM 129 cbcs 9.0 but  then decided he wanted the GSXM. I got tunnel vision on the X Men 1 and not really knowing the potential growth compared to my books I told him I will agree to it once I do a little research."

Edited by 1Cool

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Backing out of a done deal is seen as a big deal on the boards.  you are new so it may not matter to you but if you want to continue to be a part of the boards the attitude of "what is he going to do" is a not a good stance.  I'm not saying you did anything wrong but your initial post said you had a tentative deal.

If this is what you said then it's really up to how you said it.  You can't say - it's a deal and then say I need to do some research. 

"I haven't sent anything the other way and wanted the opinion of this board. It just took a day to get approved. 

Initially he accepted an ASM 129 cbcs 9.0 but  then decided he wanted the GSXM. I got tunnel vision on the X Men 1 and not really knowing the potential growth compared to my books I told him I will agree to it once I do a little research."

Even if he backs out both people remain “whole” which is the point of the board rules regarding deals

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

Even if he backs out both people remain “whole” which is the point of the board rules regarding deals

Listen to Bird and his Word folks.

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

hmm. so if someone went around agreeing to but not consummating (*shudder*) trades, and throwing up "I'll take it" in sales thread but then immediately backing out you don't think there'd be a case to put them on the naughty list?  I agree the probation list is about being made whole. But the aforementioned actions might get you put on the banned list...

I do think a reasonable person would let you out of the trade deal even if it was sort-of/kind-of/half agreed too.

Now what if he had a cash offer on the X1 that he turned down expecting the trade to be finalized since it was agreed to (ish?)

Edited by miraclemet

6 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

hmm. so if someone went around agreeing to but not consummating (*shudder*) trades, and throwing up "I'll take it" in sales thread but then immediately backing out you don't think there'd be a case to put them on the naughty list?  I agree the probation list is about being made whole. But the aforementioned actions might get you put on the banned list...

I do think a reasonable person would let you out of the trade deal even if it was sort-of/kind-of/half agreed too.

Now what if he had a cash offer on the X1 that he turned down expecting the trade to be finalized since it was agreed to (ish?)

I think a pattern of behavior is different than one time. And sales threads have their own rules, returns have to be stated and this is essentially a return. What are the banned list and the naughty list, if you mean Hall of Shame again one time would not be worth a HoS nomination. No one is out anything.

I think we should not be pressuring a person to accept a bad deal in terms of semantics. Why people are focusing on half of his message and ignoring the other half makes no sense. This place is rough enough to n00bs without forcing people to agree to trades they do not want to do.

Edited by Bird

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

I think a pattern of behavior is different than one time. And sales threads have their own rules, returns have to be stated and this is essentially a return. What are the banned list and the naughty list, if you mean Hall of Shame again one time would not be worth a HoS nomination. No one is out anything.

I think we should not be pressuring a person to accept a bad deal in terms of semantics. Why people are focusing on half of his message and ignoring the other half makes no sense. This place is rough enough to n00bs without forcing people to agree to trades they do not want to do.

Agreed on all points (should we segue into media mail discussions now? *KIDDING!*)

I agree he should just talk to the other party, say he looked at the deal and decided against it. If the other party wants to come back and discuss they can continue to talk about the terms of the trade...

I spoke with him again. This is the first deal I am negotiating online and am not looking to be flaky. I spoke with the guy again and he is super cool. He made another offer if 500 cash instead of 1k and gave me the option of taking it or leaving it. I'll be in touch with him in the next day or two. I understand some of your concerns but I assure you I am very forthcoming. And thanks to those of you who are trying to understand my position.