• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if?

31 posts in this topic

Im amazed AF 15's fetch the price that they do....do you know how many of those suckers exist ? OVER-RATED book that will soon correct to the down-side BIG TIME !!!!! If you like Spidey,...one would be better off purchasing an ASM Original Art Cover . . .

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...&hdnSearch=true

817003016o.jpg

Hey, I am no champion of the cause when it comes to defenidng the abundance and availability of silver age comics and the silly prices sometimes realized, but how can you honestly call AMF15 "OVER-RATED?"

That's kinda astonishing to me. It's the first appearance of Spidey, for goodness sake. What even halfway serious collector wouldn't consider that book a staple of their collection?

And I don't even LIKE Spider-man. sumo.gif

Hey, I am no champion of the cause when it comes to defenidng the abundance and availability of silver age comics and the silly prices sometimes realized, but how can you honestly call AMF15 "OVER-RATED?"

That's kinda astonishing to me. It's the first appearance of Spidey, for goodness sake. What even halfway serious collector wouldn't consider that book a staple of their collection?

And I don't even LIKE Spider-man. sumo.gif

Over-Rated in terms of scarcity. It is by no means a RARE book that warrants the absurd prices the book garners. Golden Age is where the future is at in terms of value.....in the 80's I thought the day that Golden Age out-paced SA was right around the corner....I was perhaps wrong....but there will be a day when people recognize,....the 'SERIOUS' collectors are into Golden Age....(that is,..if they are collectong book),..and that day is fast approaching.

It doesn't have to be scarce to command high prices or to retain its current value. makepoint.gif

There are thousands of collectors out there who would love to have an AF 15, far more than the available supply allows. Unless Spider-Man takes a serious nose dive in popularity, the prices on AF 15s are justified. It might not be as rare as many GA books, but the market for Spider-Man FAR outstrips the one for esoteric golden age books with mostly defunct characters. It seems to me that current prices on many GA titles are far less secure than prices for SA keys.

Over-Rated in terms of scarcity. It is by no means a RARE book that warrants the absurd prices the book garners. Golden Age is where the future is at in terms of value.....in the 80's I thought the day that Golden Age out-paced SA was right around the corner....I was perhaps wrong....but there will be a day when people recognize,....the 'SERIOUS' collectors are into Golden Age....(that is,..if they are collectong book),..and that day is fast approaching.

So you've been holding on this idea for over 20 years, but you're sure that retribution is right around the corner, eh? Sheesh, sounds like waiting for the second coming or something.

In a perfect world, I'd say you're 100% right. I wish you were right, as GA is my main interest and will stay that way regardless of "the market." But the public has so far proven otherwise. I could be crass about this, and quote Ezra Pound: "The Masses are Stupid." Or, I could simply say that desirability/demand has often proven to be a greater factor in the marketplace than scarcity.

Hmmm....maybe I can ammend Pound: The masses are stupid, and will remain so?

But even if the masses "smartened up," AMF15 will always be an easy book to sell in any grade. Period.

NOPE

THE CHARACTER WOULD HAVE TANKED IN 1938.

Yucky icky spiders gave people the creeps back in them thar daze.

stooges.gif

There was already an arachnid character in the GA.

sp069.jpg

The Spider disappeared it would seem.

If only Batman had debuted in the golden age.

makepoint.gif

NOPE

stooges.gif

sp069.jpg

The Spider disappeared it would seem.

If only Batman had debuted in the golden age.

makepoint.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You thinking 'bout "The Black Bat"? Pulp character appeared before Batman.

NOPE

stooges.gif

sp069.jpg

Isn't Stan Lee on video tape stating that the pulp character "Spider" was his influence for "Spider-Man"????? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyway, the question is interesting, but moot. You might as well ask, "if you had a time machine & went back & bought as many GA books as you could afford, would they be worth as much today because of supply???" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To quote Bill Murray in "MEATBALLS".... IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! insane.gif

Don't think it would matter if he tanked then, his popularity now would make up for it. I think if it did come out in the 30's and was as scarce as Action comics 1 now, I think it would be worth double that of Action. Last years guide

Action comics 1 $440,000

Batman 1 $125,000

Captain America comics 1 $125,000

Detective comics 27 $375,000

Superman 1 $270,000

Amazing Fantasy 15 $42.500

Obviously NM- unrestored would fetch multiples, but considering they have 30 years on AF 15, and it is not scarce. If it were 1938, and as many in existence as Action 1, todays market it would be $650'000 easily. Well then, wheres that time machine, 27_laughing.gif, I've got some books to pick up.

Im amazed AF 15's fetch the price that they do....do you know how many of those suckers exist ? OVER-RATED book that will soon correct to the down-side BIG TIME !!!!! If you like Spidey,...one would be better off purchasing an ASM Original Art Cover . . .

Hair Shirt, where've you been? I've truly missed the mental self-mortification that comes from forcing myself to read your pathetically predictable posts. It seems impossible that anyone could keep playing the same note for so long, and yet you do so, so effortlessly.

Isn't Stan Lee on video tape stating that the pulp character "Spider" was his influence for "Spider-Man"????? confused-smiley-013.gif

If you read "The Comic Book Makers" by Joe Simon, he writes that he came up with a character in the mid/late 50's named The Silver Spider. He talked with Kirby about it. Kirby talks to Stan Lee about it,... 893blahblah.gif .......Lee hands it over to Ditko with blueprints.

Ditko scraps most of the ideas (like a gun that shoots spider-webs) and refashions it in his own image, complete with a web-shooter. It's an interesting book. thumbsup2.gif

If you read "The Comic Book Makers" by Joe Simon, he writes that he came up with a character in the mid/late 50's named The Silver Spider. He talked with Kirby about it. Kirby talks to Stan Lee about it,... 893blahblah.gif .......Lee hands it over to Ditko with blueprints.

Ditko scraps most of the ideas (like a gun that shoots spider-webs) and refashions it in his own image, complete with a web-shooter. It's an interesting book. thumbsup2.gif

Very interesting, Fuel! thumbsup2.gif

I believe what I was thinking of was a little segment in the Overstreet World of Comics (I'm not exactly sure of the name) VHS that came out around 1996 or so? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyway, we all know by now that Stan Lee plays it fast & loose with the facts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems to me he made a comment about how the pulp Spider had a ring that would leave a mark on his victims after he hit them, and how that "left a mark" on his own imagination.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Seems to me he made a comment about how the pulp Spider had a ring that would leave a mark on his victims after he hit them, and how that "left a mark" on his own imagination.... confused-smiley-013.gif

4311_11377_10.jpg

Isn't that an idea stolen from The Phantom? confused-smiley-013.gif

Stan Lee claims to have the world's worst memory (fact or fiction? confused-smiley-013.gif) ,...but who knows. I tend to believe Joe Simon. He and Kirby came up with so many concepts that his version (Joe Simon's) makes sense.

For Stan's credit, I DO believe he had the "Flawed Super-Hero" concept.

Keep in mind, he was editor from 1941 (?) up, and didn't really do all that much Earth shattering until Kirby & Ditko joined the team. Close to 20 years of somewhat mediocre (sp?) books until FF # 1. He was a top-rate promoter with a keen sense of his fan base though!