• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you pay $3.99 for media mail?????

41 posts in this topic

Hey gang. Just wondering how many of you would pay $3.99 for media mail for one comic that was BIN for less than $2.00 ???confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's take into consideration that I mailed the seller & told them I had no problem with $3.99 shipping if they could ship it Flat Rate Priority instead, which would be $3.85 & I didn't care if they made a few extra cents shipping.

The seller then mailed me back stating that "competition was stiff" and they could not afford to send it Priority for $3.99 because then they would " lose money. "

Is this "Fee Avoidance", or no??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Would you still buy? Would you report??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Charging *a bit* more over actual shipping is fine. One must pay for materials (things like packing tape, labels, yadda yadda), and I think a seller should have the option of having the buyer cover the Paypal fees on the cost of shipping.

Tell him you'll give him an extra buck if he ships Priority Flat Rate. *shrug*

I don't really care what sort of mail is used to ship a book as long as the packaging is secure - and I factor the shipping costs into my bid on anything less than $50, and even sometimes for more expensive books - especially if shipping and insurance are listed as $8-$12. It doesn't really matter to me on a cheap book if the seller is adding a couple of bucks to the shipping or to the min. bid or BIN. I also understand that selling & shipping $2 books isn't worth most peoples time unless they can add "handling charges", and even then it's probably not worth it unless most buyers are buying a number of books.

Almost anything one buys mail order from a retail outlet will cost less to ship than the amount charged, and major comic dealers have for years charged a little extra for handling - I don't understand why sellers are constantly raked over the coals for charging an extra buck or two for shipping. Sure egregious examples like $15 shipping on a relatively inexpensive comic deserve condemnation, but $3.99 for media mail is far short of abusive.

Charging *a bit* more over actual shipping is fine. One must pay for materials (things like packing tape, labels, yadda yadda), and I think a seller should have the option of having the buyer cover the Paypal fees on the cost of shipping.

OK, point taken. However, if one uses Priority Flat Rate there is no extra seller expense for packing tape, labels, or even envelopes. The Post Office provides the Flat Rate envelope for free, and there is no need for packing tape (it has an adhesive strip) & you don't need a label as you can write freehand in the provided space. ( & labels are free should you indeed need one.)

Let's also say that there are no Paypal fees, as payment options include MO or check.

A "bit" is fine, but where does one draw the line when the seller has basically stated between the lines that he "makes money" on shipping? Even if it is only $2 or $3 , what would you do? confused-smiley-013.gif

A "bit" is fine, but where does one draw the line when the seller has basically stated between the lines that he "makes money" on shipping? Even if it is only $2 or $3 , what would you do? confused-smiley-013.gif

Pay it, and mark him down as someone in the business of selling shipping fees, and not comic books.

In my experience, the really good sellers with quality books, will charge exact shipping or close to it. They want you coming back, whereas the profiteers do not care, and just want the next sucker that comes along.

Pay it, and mark him down as someone in the business of selling shipping fees, and not comic books.

In my experience, the really good sellers with quality books, will charge exact shipping or close to it. They want you coming back, whereas the profiteers do not care, and just want the next sucker that comes along.

Thanks, JC. thumbsup2.gif

It just feels weird to me that I would be paying more for shipping (& knowing that the seller was making $$ from shipping) than for the actual book itself. crazy.gif

Thanks, JC. thumbsup2.gif

It just feels weird to me that I would be paying more for shipping (& knowing that the seller was making $$ from shipping) than for the actual book itself. crazy.gif

Buy more books...? confused-smiley-013.gif

Did he mention the $3.99 fee in his auction description?

You still haven't answered this question. $4 to ship a comic certainly isn't outrageous. By the time you factor in backing boards, the envelope, etc, it would cost a minimum of $2 to ship it, if not more. He might be making a buck or 2, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, even if your high bid was 10 cents, that doesn't change how much it costs to ship something, so the buy price shouldn't factor into the equation at all.

Would you buy the book from this seller or not? confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, I'm not a stickler about "Reasonable" charges as they relate to shipping--I've done plenty myself and know the costs involved. I'm personally more focussed on getting the product that was advertised. I've done plenty of bit_ching here about misgraded books for that to be apparent. I've done research from some sellers that charge 1/2 of the original shipping cost to add one book---needless to say that is beyond my understanding of "reasonable" charges and as such I don't buy from that seller--a shame too because they have some good stuff...your mileage may vary...

For me, the value of the shipment and the cost of shipping are two different items (hence my previous statement). If he is following his shipping policy for his listing, then I don't see the big deal. If you didn't like the terms of the auction, don't bid.

What is unacceptable to me is when someone says they will ship Priority for $5 and then send it media mail. If a seller misrepresents shipping that to me is unacceptable altogether. But in your case, unless I don't understand--his shipping charges are listed up front. If that's the case, they are not an item for negotation.

Personally though, I don't know what the shipper's big deal is in shipping it priority for cost + $1.00 or so.

Ultimately, how you feel is what matters. If you don't feel good about the deal, all I can say is sorry--but if he is following his stated policy, I don't think your beef is legit (although I can emphathize with you on the situation).

I would most definitely not do business with someone whom I feel isn't being upfront and flexible. It sounds like you've hit that mark with this seller, so I think my opinion here is just that-it is you that has the option to take action here.

Now, with all of this said and done, this isn't a big deal in the order of things--but his shipping policy stinks and I wouldn't go out of my way to order from him again. Where I usually pay more for shipping is the "for each additional item". I would be curious as to what this seller's policy is for that.

HTH....

Did he mention the $3.99 fee in his auction description?

You still haven't answered this question. $4 to ship a comic certainly isn't outrageous. By the time you factor in backing boards, the envelope, etc, it would cost a minimum of $2 to ship it, if not more. He might be making a buck or 2, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, even if your high bid was 10 cents, that doesn't change how much it costs to ship something, so the buy price shouldn't factor into the equation at all.

Sorry, Bonds. I thought I cleared this up, but guess not. The $3.99 IS the listed shipping cost for MEDIA Rate.

My "beef" is that I mailed the seller & told them I had no problem with $3.99 if the shipping was Priority (which would be $3.85). Seller then told me he could only do Media as that was the only way he could "make money" on shipping. It's not much of a $$ beef; I'm just looking for feedback as to what other forum members would do. Buy or no? confused-smiley-013.gif

And like I said earlier, I don't need to "factor in" envelope, tape, etc. , as the PO gives this to you for "FREE" with Priority, which I told the seller I would gladly go with.

The vibe I'm getting so far is "don't sweat it it", so it looks like I may just suck it up & go with it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sterling, your 2nd post is very much along the lines of what I was looking for. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks to all of you who have been honest with your replies. wink.gif

On a $50 book I wouldn't think twice about this, but on a $1.00 book I had to stop & think. Hey, that's what the forum is about right?! If I can't get feedback from fellow collectors, then who can I turn to?! insane.gif

Keith, while I am one of the harshest shipping critics out there, I do not think that $4.00 is excessive - I would have thought the shipping could at least be First Class at that price, but I think we've all seen worse.

I personally charge $4.00 for 1-4 comics and if you buy one book I make about $1 (not including tape and bags and boards, even though I ship First Class and use a bubble mailer. If you buy 2 books I make about 60 cents or less if you live on the East Coast. If you buy 3 its usually bang on within a 10 cents either way. If you buy 4 books - I use the Flat rate envelope and its even again.

The reason for the flate rate is simple - its too unruly to calculate every auction so this saves time and allows for quicker shipments. I believe however that comics SHOULD NOT BE SEND MEDIA - unless requested by the buyer and even then its not worth the risk for a few cents.

Having said all that, I do not charge for Mylars and FBs for more expensive books. I do not charge for bags, boards, tape, packing peanuts, bubble wrap etc. In the end I think it all works out. The few dollars I make on single books about cover 50-75% of the costs of materials.

I think he should have shipped first class, but then again as Bonds said the charge was not outrageous. He stated his shipping, I think he should also state that the shipping charge is for media mail. Just my 2 cents though - there are far worse perps out there that this guy.

Sorry, Bonds. I thought I cleared this up, but guess not. The $3.99 IS the listed shipping cost for MEDIA Rate.

I guess you have no beef then. If he didn't agree to ship it priority mail for $3.99 and you still bid on the book, then you need to pay the $3.99.

well, is it a $3.99 flat rate for as many wins as you compile? if so there are are scenarios where he might lose money.

the box/mailer i send comics out in costs me 50 cents. sure, i guess you can say that's my problem, but I'm not interested in dumpster diving to collect pieces of cardboard to pack comics with and even then it can be bent in half. a bag and board are 10 cents. delivery confirmation on media mail costs 13 cents and I forget, put paypal used to charge 20 cents for the postage/label, but maybe they stopped.

let's just say tape and other padding scraps are free. so one comic by media mail is going to cost $1.43 + 83 cents in costs, so $2.26. $1.73 in "handling" seems like a lot for a $2 book, but you're the one buying the $2 book, nt the $40 book.

I charge a flat $3 with the above factored in. 1-2 comics can generally go first class (which, by the way, I LOSE money on, so I wouldn't expect everyone else to do it (I lose 50+ cents sending 2 comics first class because postage is $3.03), 3 or more go out media.