• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will we ever see another true key comic?
3 3

147 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, tv horror said:

He is a one character appearance except for parody, all of the other Key characters such as Superman lend themselves to appear in multiple comic titles, that's what makes them important. Spider-Gwen and Harley appealed to a growing young female readership that has worked in their favour, Captain Marvel won't have the same appeal because she is just too powerful and a carbon copy of her male counterpart. I think that if there were to be another Key that it would come from this target audience and be young feisty cute.(thumbsu  

She wouldn't be a new character, but Batgirl sure has the potential to be a big hit if DC can manage to not mess it up with the movie. She is NOT a carbon copy of her male counterpart. And, she has to use her wits because brute strength just won't do.

Edited by CycleGirl

NO. I;m going to tell you why. Under FULL influence of a HOT TODDY.

I didn't even read this thread but only the title and I can attest that those days are gone. The reason is partly the lack of creativity. The characters are riding the coattails of already existing characters and claiming the terms 'diversity' the politics is really what is oversaturating the medium and dragging it down. You HAVE to have a female, you HAVE to have a minority, you HAVE to hire a female writer for the book, you HAVE to hire a gay/lesbian for the art.

I was in a movie theater and saw those commercials before the movie previews and it was some girl for marvel and she said something about she was a lesbian female latina. The last time I checked being those 3 things wasn't a qualification for doing art or writing. The qualification is talent OR knowing someone. or asking the question what are you good at and going from there.

Now MAYBE there is merit for a non Marvel or DC book. look at the walking dead and image. BUT is it mainstream? its got a Tv show. is that the measure of success. I got into collecting comic books because I enjoy the art and story when I first walked into a comic book store my imagination ran wild looking at all the wall books and colors and awesome art in the late 80's early 90's. well the books don't hardly have words anymore. and most of the time the art is abysmal at best. This is the generation of kids that were on medication growing up because their parents didn't want to deal with them and the creativity is gone. Look back at the comic books from the 70's 80's and even some 90's the stuff they tackled would not even be touched today because everybody gets too offended and the fans aren't being listened to. The biggest thing is creativity. im not seeing it. it will be gone by the wayside when the 90s kids grow up. until people dig through some relatives "old" stuff and say ' This is awesome" and the natural imagination of a kid will take over and then and only then will something come from it but we wont be here when that happens. characters that stand the test of time are gone. the original creators are gone. its the generation of piggy backing now. look at miles morales. " hey, lets take spiderman and make him into another race." or spidergwen. "hey lets take spiderman and a iconic popular character and change the universe and so on, and so on. lets take the hulk and turn him Chinese. because why not? my point is, until the creative juices flow by some next comic book star the days of a key book of iconic status are done. IF there is such a thing it will be something technological and something only kids will get. YOU GOT TO HAVE CREATIVITY. a key book will NOT exist without it. There will be attempts, but it will feel bland and not have that wow factor. for crying out loud Detective comics 1000 is being advertised as the first appearance of the arkham night in dc universe. he was a video game character that was a lie from the studio. it was really Jason todd. when they could of easily kept him as red hood. but... marketing and expense associated with the entertainment industry. whattayagonnado?

oh man right after I posted that I just thought of an iconic character to define this generation. ready for this?... "CopyCat" powers and abilities to mimic those of other characters and their abilities with slight differences and variations coming to book stores near you... You're welcome.

what's that you say?,,, theres already a character like that called chameleon or mimic? guess what? then he's done his job...or she.. nobody really knows because they are DON DON DON the COPY CAT.

man, all I was looking for was the topic of actual release dates of comic books vs the cover dates on the books and finding the website where they are listed by daves world or something and it turned into this. I should get examined.

seriously. how else are some of these no talent individuals employed? qualification ...knowing someone. prove me wrong. and I should point out, again.. copy cat did his job.

I realize some of that may be a bit much to take but its the truth. people want to believe there will be another big key but without talent and imagination it isn't going to happen. plain and simple. You have to have those things in order for the next true big key to happen. there are more books people are getting just for the covers than the actual content. That isn't helping when they put all the effort into doing a good looking cover and put doo on the inside.

Edited by talesof...
i didnt know i couldnt say c our a p

14 hours ago, talesof... said:

seriously. how else are some of these no talent individuals employed? qualification ...knowing someone. prove me wrong.

That's not how it works. You have a theory, *you* have to prove it. Good luck with that, though... 

On 3/21/2019 at 1:20 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Any good Valiant modern reads you like to recommend? I got the Comixology app, so I am more than willing to try some of them. I really fell behind on modern Valiant comics. Was a big fan in the 1990s when Jim Shooter was their editor. It`s really a shame Valiant can't even get 2% of the current market.

If you like to read digitally, this was just announced. Less than $1 per trade: http://www.gitcorp.com/valiantcdcbc.html

9 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

That's not how it works. You have a theory, *you* have to prove it. Good luck with that, though... 

ok. easy. ill use ONE example. Harley Quinn smith. you think she got jobs because she is really THAT talented? guess who's daughter she is.? As a bonus  Mica Barden. her Dad you might know from reading rainbow or star trek. That's just the entertainment industry. The comics world is no different. it may not be relatives but people that ' know people' i could go on but unfortunately I don't have that much time. Detective comics 1000 midnight release awaits...

8 hours ago, talesof... said:

ok. easy. ill use ONE example. Harley Quinn smith. you think she got jobs because she is really THAT talented? guess who's daughter she is.? As a bonus  Mica Barden. her Dad you might know from reading rainbow or star trek. That's just the entertainment industry. The comics world is no different. it may not be relatives but people that ' know people' i could go on but unfortunately I don't have that much time. Detective comics 1000 midnight release awaits...

What?

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The old, "I could go on with factual details but can't be bothered, instead, read my prior ramblings about meaningless conjecture", post...

A solid discussion finisher.

I could of mentioned that stan Lee's brother....you know stan Lee right?. He was the face of marvel comics.... his brother was hired at marvel too. I wonder how he got the job? HMM..... how's that for a finisher? now PROVE to ME it doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, bc said:

"Will we ever see another true key comic?"

Nope.

We may see manufactured keys that pop in and out of favor though.

I agree 100 percent. "Fad keys" "stock market keys" I like the term manufactured keys.

19 hours ago, talesof... said:

That may be an explanation, but it's definitely not a qualification.