• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superhero recommendations for a smart 10 year old

31 posts in this topic

I started with Archie digests. Then Bone, Elfquest, and Usagi Yojimbo. He likes the super hero movies and asked for some super hero comics. I got him DKR, BWS Weapon X, Spider-Man Alien Costume Saga and the first two Venom storylines. He said he prefers Marvel over DC but he’s liked everything so far. I already plan on getting him some TMNT vol.1 but drawing a blank on super hero stories.

He still thrashes his comics and donates them to the school library when he’s done if they’re appropriate so I prefer cheap softcover TPB’s still in print or easy to find. They don’t have to be kiddie comics but I don’t want to see Spider-Man’s 🍆 or anyone’s face getting peeled off. What’s just a good story he will enjoy? He is interested in Deadpool and Avengers as well as Spider-Man and X-Men, but he’s up for anything awesome

The Dark Phoenix saga and most of the Byrne run on X-men are must reading- X-men 107-137.

Miller Daredevil are truly awesome reading as well between the epic battles with Bullseye and the first appearance of Elektra- Daredevil 158-181

Any of the Romita Spider-man run (or Ditko for that matter) but particularly Amazing Spider-man from the petrified tablet story line to the death of the Green Goblin- Amazing Spider-man 65-122

The entire run of the Kirby FF is top quality material- Fantastic Four 1-95 is a great group (more Kirby issues but I'm a big fan of the Torgo saga)

Likewise, the Byrne run on FF is also pretty amazing-  Fantastic Four 232-260 is another awesome run.

I could go on but that's a lot of stuff already.  Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Joosh said:

Kraven’s Last Hunt

current Venom series by Cates. 

Others I was thinking if are already mentioned.

I’ve had some ideas, but concerns about the material being a bit dark in places stopped me posting.

Kraven ends up that way.

Perhaps the ABC line written by Alan Moore. Certainly Tomorrow Stories (an anthology) and Tom Strong. Promethea gets a bit deep and has some weird sexuality but Top 10 was a fantastic police procedural series.

I have a set of Tomorrow Stories I think somewhere if you decide you want them feel free to PM me and I will do you right.

Alan Moore's Supreme was good as well, basically Superman stories better written than Superman. Some good scenes with the Krypto analog!

Ultimate X-Men was fun, the Al-New X-Men is good as well. Maybe the Incredible Hulk run when Hercules takes over. Secret Warriors and Young Avengers as well. Runaways too.

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve had some ideas, but concerns about the material being a bit dark in places stopped me posting.

Kraven ends up that way.

Agree.  Not sure Kravens Last Hunt is appropriate for that age.   A little too dark/mature, IMO.  

I do like the Byrne FF run "nomination". 

Most of the Kirby and Romita stuff might seem dated to him unless he is into the whimsy of it all in so far as the style, older looking cars and language. 

What do I recommend?  Get him excited... Guardians of the Galaxy... Annihilation Conquest or something like that.  It is an over the top giant Cosmic Marvel series in of itself. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Most of the Kirby and Romita stuff might seem dated to him unless he is into the whimsy of it all in so far as the style, older looking cars and language. 

What do I recommend?  Get him excited... Guardians of the Galaxy... Annihilation Conquest or something like that.  It is an over the top giant Cosmic Marvel series in of itself. 

I have him reading the Archie Archives and he likes the old stuff too. I was going to get him the Batman Chronicles I think it’s called? But he said Batman doesn’t interest him. I think the Ditko Spider-Man stuff might be right up his alley, at least for the first appearances

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Define "smart".

I was a "smart" 10-year old. I read Garfield & Calvin and Hobbes... I started reading 90's X-Men in middle school.

I plan on getting him Calvin And Hobbes too. By smart I just mean he can understand the plot of a typical super hero comic so it doesn’t have to be X-Men Adventures or some kiddy imprint stuff 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I plan on getting him Calvin And Hobbes too. By smart I just mean he can understand the plot of a typical super hero comic so it doesn’t have to be X-Men Adventures or some kiddy imprint stuff 

I personally liked X-Men Vol 2, X-Men Unlimited, and X-Man. I was 12-13 when I started them. Has he seen any of the animated cartoon shows? I would say to figure out what characters he likes from them and go from there.

One of my best friends has a 1-year old and he's been feeding him Teen Titans Go and stuff. I told him the same. When he gets into middle school and you wanna see if he'll read 'em - start from the characters he already likes.

If not, well, that advice is useless. lol