• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying cases of comics
1 1

85 posts in this topic

I just talked to a guy who said he sold 200 copies of Spider-Man #252 in 2014-2015. I know a comic shop that has a bunch of #252's, all in high grade. I figure (Correct me if I'm wrong) that these guys must be buying either cases these books or buying them from some person who happens to have a bunch of copies. 

Though, What I really want to know is: How on earth do you find these people that have these unopened cases and/or huge piles of a single issue?? Craigslist ads, Ebay ads, cons?

Help the newb!

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

How many people here have huge piles of high grade copies of a particular issue? It’s not uncommon 

But where did they get them? Buying old stock? Buying a bunch when ti came out? I don't like gambling and buying a bunch of modern age comics, so...

1 minute ago, obiedagod said:

But where did they get them? Buying old stock? Buying a bunch when ti came out? I don't like gambling and buying a bunch of modern age comics, so...

Usually they're unsold copies from an LCS that went under...

Edited by comicquant

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Usually they're unsold copies from an LCS that went under...

That would be my guess. I went by Half Price Books once and they were selling back stock for like 10 cents a book.....

They had New Mutants #27? Or #28? Anyway they had like 30 copies throughout all the stuff of the 2nd or 3rd appearance of legion..... I wasn't going hog wild so I bought most of the NM condition newsstands....

I have yet to hear of a LCS going out of business in my short return so far, in fact my LCS from child hood is celebrating 30 years this month with 30% off $30 And under  :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm not complaining though...

Lol even on the days that the owner is at the shop (as he has multiple locations) 

If you give him a high five you get an extra 5% off lol

black-cat-high-five-gif.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That would be my guess. I went by Half Price Books once and they were selling back stock for like 10 cents a book.....

They had New Mutants #27? Or #28? Anyway they had like 30 copies throughout all the stuff of the 2nd or 3rd appearance of legion..... I wasn't going hog wild so I bought most of the NM condition newsstands....

I have yet to hear of a LCS going out of business in my short return so far, in fact my LCS from child hood is celebrating 30 years this month with 30% off $30 And under  :shy:

We've had a few go out of business and some consolidate several years ago but they seem to be doing well now.  We have one which opened in September of 1975 right down the street from my dads office (I was born in '76) and its the most popular and doing very well.   

I saw a guy buy 250 copies of Spawn 1 from the LCS back in the day. He gave the owner the $ and he put them on his order.

Read about Rozanski's Mile High 2 collection.

A dealer that used to be on the boards said he was ordering 10,000 copies of X-Men per month by issue 108.

I told the LCS owner one time I scored a book I had been hunting for in the dollar bin and he said he had 500 copies in the warehouse.

32 minutes ago, obiedagod said:

I just talked to a guy who said he sold 200 copies of Spider-Man #252 in 2014-2015. I know a comic shop that has a bunch of #252's, all in high grade. I figure (Correct me if I'm wrong) that these guys must be buying either cases these books or buying them from some person who happens to have a bunch of copies. 

Though, What I really want to know is: How on earth do you find these people that have these unopened cases and/or huge piles of a single issue?? Craigslist ads, Ebay ads, cons?

Help the newb!

Likely someone bought a lot of that issue believing it was important and sat on it or it was overstock from a store or distributor that's now coming up for sale.  I know there was a long box of New Mutants 98 being shopped at local comic stores around town 

2 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

I saw a guy buy 250 copies of Spawn 1 from the LCS back in the day. He gave the owner the $ and he put them on his order.

Read about Rozanski's Mile High 2 collection.

A dealer that used to be on the boards said he was ordering 10,000 copies of X-Men per month by issue 108.

I told the LCS owner one time I scored a book I had been hunting for in the dollar bin and he said he had 500 copies in the warehouse.

108 of UXM or the 1990 X-Men Book?

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

108 of UXM or the 1990 X-Men Book?

Bronze age first Byrne. He also said he went to a con with 600 mint copies of Conan 1. The thread is still around somewhere.

This guy is on ebay now and will sell you as much as you want.

nwe.JPG

MH2 quote:

he began by explaining that his father had been "investing" in back issue comics since the late 1950's, and he now had a warehouse filled with approximately two million issues in it that he needed to dispose of immediately. He estimated that at least 400,000 of his father's comics had a cover price of 12 cents, or less. The remainder were at least 5 years old, as his father had stopped purchasing comics in 1979. He then went on to tell me that the majority of the books were in "Mint" condition, as his father purchased all the books new, and just stashed them away.

34 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

Beerbohm...whom you're referring to....wasn't ordering 10,000 copies of X-Men per month. He's often repeated that story, but it's simply not true; that would have accounted for...one dealer, now...8-10% of the entire distribution of these books.

I know it sounds like a great story, but no one was buying "10,000 copies of X-Men" by issue #108. That was about 9 months before X-Men even became a "thing"; prior to that, it was pretty standard fare, on par with Iron Man and Daredevil. There's a reason why X-Men was bi-monthly until issue #112....it was the opposite of "great sales." That would be like saying they bought 10,000 copies of Daredevil #150, or 10,000 copies of Iron Man #105. It didn't happen. It's fiction. 

No, the summer of 1978...that was the breakout for X-Men. 

And if anyone doubts this, check out the sales numbers from the Statements of Ownership from the time period. For example...the SOO printed in X-Men #120, which would have covered issues #109-116, report this: 115,260 average sold per copy for the year (1978), 104,915 actual issue closest to the filing date (which *probably* was #116.)

That means sales went down during the year (probably because it went monthly, and kids couldn't afford it every month.)

But Bob wants people to believe that he was nearly 10%....one dealer, in the SF Bay Area....of the number of copies sold at that point...?

Doesn't add up. 

As Byrne has said before, the numbers didn't go crazy until after he left the book, and the SOOs line up with that.

4 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

Did you ever buy cases RMA or just stacks off the racks? I think it was you that has a long box of each Death In The Family.

I have, in my time, handled a case or two of comics....

:whistle:

I only have two short boxes of DITF....but I have 600 copies of Brigade #1 Gold, Supreme #1 Gold, Youngblood Strikefile #1 Gold, and Youngblood #0 Gold.

Each.

Anybody wanna buy a copy....?

:D