• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers abusing eBay feedback system as revenge for paying "too much."

73 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

You just respond with - no problem.  However the price of shipping goes up by (Cost of whatever you had the comic listed at)

I am a jerk when it comes to lowball offers. I had something listed for say $200 once and the guy kept making lowball offers.  I think he made an offer for something like $50 I said no problem but who is paying the other $150... never heard from him again.  

I just ignored it and shipped the book he paid for. Will c how It plays out.

52 minutes ago, AJD said:
1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

They are taking 10% of the FV so I sell a slab for $200 they take $20 of it. Since everyone pays w/PayPal that's another 3% so now I've paid $26 to sell a $200 dollar book. Sell 4 slabs like that in a month and you have paid over $100 dollars. That's how I define excessive. 

It's not excessive when you realise that you would have to do a lot to reach those four buyers if not for the platform eBay provides. That said, a bit of downwards pressure through competition on eBay prices would be a good thing.

Yeah I agree as well its not excessive by any means. He neglects to mentions his sales were $800.00 on 4 slabs. 

46 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:
57 minutes ago, AJD said:

It's not excessive when you realise that you would have to do a lot to reach those four buyers if not for the platform eBay provides. That said, a bit of downwards pressure through competition on eBay prices would be a good thing.

Honestly the amount of buyers on ebay has decreased substantially over the past years. I have plenty of options just by looking at my FB groups and this board. You certainly can't sell a high dollar book  by starting a .99 cent auction like you used to. End up loosing your arse big time.

This board I would agree with, but a lot of FB groups are a disaster for the most part. They even want higher prices then ebay.

I do agree auctions better be for a very hot book or you have an established clients that look a lot otherwise you will lose your arse.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 4/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

and there's no way to fix it unless one gives up selling on eBay entirely.

as I did years ago. It's too much of a minefield and that's without factoring in ebay's own disinterest of seller's problems and their (ebay's) staggering greed.

Edited by G G

on a related note I just dinged a guy for over charging on shipping. Charged me more than twice the shipping costs and shipped in a recycled amazon prime box with a couple of reused air packs...

On 4/1/2019 at 9:40 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

They are taking 10% of the FV so I sell a slab for $200 they take $20 of it. Since everyone pays w/PayPal that's another 3% so now I've paid $26 to sell a $200 dollar book. Sell 4 slabs like that in a month and you have paid over $100 dollars. That's how I define excessive. 

Yes, but you have $696 that you would not have had before. The 13% you are giving away to eBay/Paypal is to guarantee a sale.

Tell you what. Stay off eBay. I'll take the bullet for you.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:07 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Honestly the amount of buyers on ebay has decreased substantially over the past years. I have plenty of options just by looking at my FB groups and this board. You certainly can't sell a high dollar book  by starting a .99 cent auction like you used to. End up loosing your arse big time.

Absolutely. BIN w/ Best Offer is the only way to make sure you don't lose your shirt.

There are exceptions. If I'm listing a large lot of items that are all related, auctions can do well. Like I recently listed about 90 or so G1 Transformers toys as auctions. Started them at $4.99 each and let them roll, and was very happy with the results. A large collection coming out can create some excitement and activity on its own. But random 99 cent auctions here and there are a recipe for losing money.

I know I've mentioned it in the FB thread a couple of times, but I seem to be doing most of my buying and selling locally through FB marketplace these days. I never would have thought that would be the case, but here we are. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Potential buyers will look at the "item as described" rating of 4.7 and pass.

It is not just jumping through hoops to be a Top Rated Seller...it's that potential buyers will see that number, which is VERY poor, and not look any further...why would they?

I don't look at those ratings. I only read negative feedback to see what's up and can usually tell if it is worth my time. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

48 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Absolutely. BIN w/ Best Offer is the only way to make sure you don't lose your shirt.

There are exceptions. If I'm listing a large lot of items that are all related, auctions can do well. Like I recently listed about 90 or so G1 Transformers toys as auctions. Started them at $4.99 each and let them roll, and was very happy with the results. A large collection coming out can create some excitement and activity on its own. But random 99 cent auctions here and there are a recipe for losing money.

I know I've mentioned it in the FB thread a couple of times, but I seem to be doing most of my buying and selling locally through FB marketplace these days. I never would have thought that would be the case, but here we are. 

Yep FB groups are the way of the future. You can buy and sell with PayPal less the extra 10% profit off the top. Its win/win. :headbang:

5 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Yep FB groups are the way of the future. You can buy and sell with PayPal less the extra 10% profit off the top. Its win/win. :headbang:

I never would have thought I'd be a local pick-up kind of person, but I'm now totally used to meeting strange men in parking lots.

Waitaminnit, that didn't come out right...

16 minutes ago, D84 said:

One thing I don't understand is people want to use eBay and PayPal, but seem expect them to provide services for free.

It's cost of doing business.  And ComicLink, Heritage and Comic Connect all charge fees.

And I can imagine that it's only a matter of time until FB starts charging to use Marketplace as well.

46 minutes ago, D84 said:

One thing I don't understand is people want to use eBay and PayPal, but seem expect them to provide services for free.

It's cost of doing business.  And ComicLink, Heritage and Comic Connect all charge fees.

PayPal is fine with its 2.9% fee. It offers protection and PayPal will go to bat for you if there's a problem. What does Ebay do that necessitates another 10% of that fee? Provide a place to put photos and price? There are places that do that for zero. Zip. Nada. Nicht. There was a time for Ebay but that is past. Get with the times. Get rid of the mullet. 

8 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

PayPal is fine with its 2.9% fee. It offers protection and PayPal will go to bat for you if there's a problem. What does Ebay do that necessitates another 10% of that fee? Provide a place to put photos and price? There are places that do that for zero. Zip. Nada. Nicht. There was a time for Ebay but that is past. Get with the times. Get rid of the mullet. 

Then don't use them. 

For the 10%, you get a much wider buyer pool, who are more confident because of the buyer protection.  Ebay is a brand like CGC.  A customer pays more because of confidence in the brand.

Also, running a massive website like that costs money.  It is not a charity.

12 minutes ago, D84 said:

Then don't use them. 

For the 10%, you get a much wider buyer pool, who are more confident because of the buyer protection.  Ebay is a brand like CGC.  A customer pays more because of confidence in the brand.

Also, running a massive website like that costs money.  It is not a charity.

I don't use them. But I still have my opinion whether you agree or not. Why come into a negative titled Ebay thread if you know you're probably going to disagree with someone? Take your own advice and avoid that which displeases you. And have a good day.

6 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I don't use them. But I still have my opinion whether you agree or not. Why come into a negative titled Ebay thread if you know you're probably going to disagree with someone? Take your own advice and avoid that which displeases you. And have a good day.

I said I don't understand, not that it displeases me.  Actually, I find it quite amusing.

Have a good day as well. 

On 4/1/2019 at 5:44 PM, gotpong said:

Ya, for me I just care if the seller has a solid amount of feedback, if I'm unsure I also look to see why the negatives were negatives on their feedback.  Since I get big books I also check to make sure the buy has sold other big books before and isn't just random things if I'm unsure about the seller.  I don't ever really look at their item as described score and only check the negative feedback.

yeah I do the same I look at the negative comments and determine if the negative comment is justifiable to buy or not buy. Immediately if I saw someone buy a graded book and say item was not what was described I would probably shrug that off or check with the seller that did they leave that feedback because there was a crack and you didn't disclose this in the listing and I would look at how you disclose information in you other listings. to see if it was just a ignorant buyer.