• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Aparo... RIP

52 posts in this topic

Wow...that sucks..big time...

Aparo was one of my all time favorites and it wasn't until about 4 months ago when I found out that he also lived in Connecticut (as I do)..My LCS was sponsering a local con and had mentioned that he was going to try and get some local talent to appear, of which Aparo was one of them...

To say the least I was ecstatic...a man that had done awsome work on Batman, Aquaman, Spectre and tons of other stuff that I truly enjoyed in my teen years was going to be in my neighborhood (actually he was here all the time)...

Any way...as the months rolled on my LCS dealer said that he was having a tough time getting through to Aparo and was not optomistic about his appearance...apparently , it seems, there were health issues and now I can see that they must've been very serious..

R.I.P. Mr. Aparo...you were truly appreciated by this Connecticut native... frown.gif

He was one of the bright spots at DC during one of my very favorite periods, the late 1960s, early 1970s.

- that long Brave & Bold run grounding Bob Haney's often gonzo scripts in the real world

- part of the classic S.A.G. (Skeates/Aparo/Giordano) creative team on Aquaman

- The Spectre in Adventure Comics

- A couple of excellent Batman solo stories for Archie Goodwin's tenure on Detective Comics

- And (I don't think anyone's yet mentioned this), his defining run on Phantom Stranger:

550107-ps21_pg2.JPG

550105-ps21_pg3.JPG

I loved Aparo's Batman art in the late 80's when I was a huge 10 year old Bat-fan. He was my first "favorite comic artist." I'm bummed. frown.gif