• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a 6.0 book have a large "chip" in the back cover edge?

17 posts in this topic

Just received an Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1 that had been graded as Fine/6.0 on eBay and was described as having "some Marvel chipping."

When I looked at the front cover and flipped through the book I was very happily surprised to see that the book looked to be an easy 7.0 and had NO chipping at all.

I turned it over and saw the back was just as nice...EXCEPT for the one very large "chip" on the middle edge of the back cover. This giant chip...aka small missing piece...is a little less than 1/4" tall and about 1/8" deep. To me this is where the "subjective" part of grading really gets tough...so how much do you deduct for the chip? So I'm asking for opinions...if the book is otherwise an easy 7.0 (maybe 7.5), could it still make a 6.0 after factoring in the chip, or do you think it would be better or worse than that? Thanks...

Just received an Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1 that had been graded as Fine/6.0 on eBay and was described as having "some Marvel chipping."

When I looked at the front cover and flipped through the book I was very happily surprised to see that the book looked to be an easy 7.0 and had NO chipping at all.

I turned it over and saw the back was just as nice...EXCEPT for the one very large "chip" on the middle edge of the back cover. This giant chip...aka small missing piece...is a little less than 1/4" tall and about 1/8" deep. To me this is where the "subjective" part of grading really gets tough...so how much do you deduct for the chip? So I'm asking for opinions...if the book is otherwise an easy 7.0 (maybe 7.5), could it still make a 6.0 after factoring in the chip, or do you think it would be better or worse than that? Thanks...

my FF#2 probably got knocked down at least 2 full points for a large chip!!!

but the good news is that the chip was probably twice as big (1/4x1/4) and it was on the front cover......... 893whatthe.gif.

so, i'm thinking your otherwise 7.0 - 7.5 may well still be the 6.0 that it was advertised as................ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If the book is otherwise a 7.0/7.5, I think it's fair to deduct 1.0/1.5 for a chip as described.

That said, if I was selling the book, I would have made it clear as to my rationale for the grading, because it is a very subjective call. For example, I would have stated, "Book appears to be 7.0/7.5, but due to a small chip on the back cover edge, I am grading it a 6.0."

Some collectors don't mind flaws on the back cover if the front has great eye appeal and it presents higher than the "technical" grade. BTW, I have a FF #9 that looks VF-ish from the front, but has a chip on the back cover similar to yours. I can live with it, but each collector has his or her own flaw hang-ups.

Yeah, at first I was really irritated that the seller only described the book as being in fine condition with "some marvel chipping" instead of going into more detail about the fact that there was only the one big chip on the back (which didn't show up on the scans). But since the overall grade is probably very close to being correct and I got the book for a really cheap BIN price ($10), I guess I can't complain!

Wow October...now my "chip" looks downright microscopic compared to that corner!

I guess my book would pull at least a 7.5 based on those standards! But of course...that Detective is a GA book so as we all know the bizarre CGC policy of ignoring missing pieces and chunks in GA books applies!

Yeah, at first I was really irritated that the seller only described the book as being in fine condition with "some marvel chipping" instead of going into more detail about the fact that there was only the one big chip on the back (which didn't show up on the scans). But since the overall grade is probably very close to being correct and I got the book for a really cheap BIN price ($10), I guess I can't complain!

I would take a FN book with no Marvel chipping and a small chip out of the back cover any day over a FN book with no chip out of the back cover but with Marvel chipping on the front. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the ASM #42 book I was talking about with small piece missing from back cover (left edge). I had both books slabbed myself, so the chipping is not a result of SCS damage:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thanks everyone...I feel pretty good about the 6.0 grade...and it seems like it may be a 6.5 based on the examples you've shown. Your feedback is much appreciated...this board and you guys are an AWESOME resource for collector's like me who have recently gotten back into comics after a very long time away!

Thanks everyone...I feel pretty good about the 6.0 grade...and it seems like it may be a 6.5 based on the examples you've shown. Your feedback is much appreciated...this board and you guys are an AWESOME resource for collector's like me who have recently gotten back into comics after a very long time away!

here's the FF#2 that i was referencing. the book is in great shape except for that ragged chunk ULC and a bit of raggedness along the top edge and graded 6.5. this store (where i probably bought no more than half dozen books over the years), hung the books from wires across the top of the wall behind the candy counter and pulled them down from the steel toothed clamps that held them to the wire. Ouch.......... frown.gif

1122137626810_FF_25_001.jpg