• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED: PGM Uncanny X-Men 120

13 posts in this topic

Just bought this off eBay for $80 shipped and was wondering if I made a decent deal.  The seller claimed this should be around an 8.5-9.2 as is.
It looks great except for two corner creases (small/minor color breaking).  Pardon the pictures as I am posting what was included in the auction post.

Would you think with or without a press the book could be an 8.5-9.2? 

s-l1600-9.thumb.jpg.c11d225f6e2a308a5c0507e84db56a2c.jpgs-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.4e75896409505eb91b7ce63bce0e7550.jpg

s-l1600-5.thumb.jpg.935fc86217cc48999999f9e7420d0952.jpg

s-l1600-7.thumb.jpg.d1bc9877c95295602ce732cdf86100ad.jpgs-l1600-6.thumb.jpg.73189d3cd4a2d1f2fee8324690520096.jpg

s-l1600-8.thumb.jpg.7ee94a1b7674746c47d17169260638b1.jpgs-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.78bebd42781853cbf5579e1828220431.jpg

Edited by BobBain

I don't think its that high. The spine looks bent...is there a roll near the spine, because the book appears curled. The creases in the corners look fairly noticeable too. I would lean more to an 8.0-8.5 personally.

As for what you paid, I would have tried to get this issue in VF condition for around $40. You could have grabbed a 9.0, confirmed and slabbed, for close to what you paid. Several are online with best offers. End of the day it comes down to if you are happy. However, if you are going to grade it and are hoping for 9.2 or better (even with a press), you could be disappointed. 

On the 3rd pic, that thin light  white line above 'comics' on the top front edge. Is that a crease?

The 3rd pic also looks like it has 2-3 pretty small color breaking lines along the spine as well as those in the upper corners (ULC looks like it has a couple whisps of white - not sure if that's a crease)  & LRC

What is that along the barcode by the spine - those small white curved lines?   front right edge also looks like a small crease ( a little bit under N in X-Men)

In my uneducated opinion, I don't think it would grade a 9.0 - everything there is small but maybe adds up enough to be under a 9

Thanks. The seller is a member here (hasn’t given his username) but swears this has great color and minor color breaking creases; mostly on the corners as easily seen.  He would be surprised if it did not grade 9.x after pressing. 

With a 14 day return policy I will wait until it comes in to make a decision.  

I may just keep it and buy locally going forward.

10 minutes ago, BobBain said:

Thanks. The seller is a member here (hasn’t given his username) but swears this has great color and minor color breaking creases; mostly on the corners as easily seen.  He would be surprised if it did not grade 9.x after pressing. 

With a 14 day return policy I will wait until it comes in to make a decision.  

I may just keep it and buy locally going forward.

I can see it getting an 8.5 on a good day, and it may present better in hand. You're probably going about it the right way. (thumbsu

I am the very definition of 'amateur' so don't take whatever I say to heart.

I'm just going off the Heritage grading scale and the Overstreet grading guide I have (neither of which are the CGC grading scale - whatever that is)

Neither of them state color breaking creases in corners for any level of mint.

That URC now looks, to me, like it doesn't break color.  There's another by the ULC which also looks to me like it doesn't break color.

So I see it as that LRC with also both left side front corners having a little wear. There's also something on that middle A in CANADA but I dont think that's a big deal.

For those reasons, I'd say 8.5. 

Maybe it presses to  a 9