• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would CGC grade with a number witten in ink pen back cover ? Downgrade the grade ?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Posted this in another forum but didn't get much response so though maybe get better response here.

So still kind of new to collecting and grading. Lets say I have this book and it has a number written on the back in ink pen. Does this affect the over grade that CGC would assign ?  So lets assume if there was no number written on the back and it would of received a grade of 8.0. Would the book still receive the 8.0 with this on the back or would it be penalized due to this and grade lower ? Thanks

thumbnail_20190406_061205.jpg

Edited by jimjackjett

It's really not a question that can be answered directly. You really have to submit it to see what happens. I once had somethimng similar, called CGC to discuss but was told I would have to submit . I suspect the writing will 'slightly' lower the grade, half point type of range. There is always the situation where they are some other hidden problems that could lower the grade well below your expectations.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:33 AM, jimjackjett said:

Posted this in another forum but didn't get much response so though maybe get better response here.

So still kind of new to collecting and grading. Lets say I have this book and it has a number written on the back in ink pen. Does this affect the over grade that CGC would assign ?  So lets assume if there was no number written on the back and it would of received a grade of 8.0. Would the book still receive the 8.0 with this on the back or would it be penalized due to this and grade lower ? Thanks

thumbnail_20190406_061205.jpg

To Bob's point no one can be absolutely sure unless they submit it but from what I've seen it depends on the overall grade.  The higher the initial grade the more impact these markings have.  So a 9.8 may get a 9.6 or 9.6 a 9.4 but when it comes to a 5.0 I think the graders view other defects as the bigger fish to fry and these indiscriminate markings become less important.  I can see the kid sitting there with one of these practicing their "178" before big brother walks in and cracks it in half.

e91b17568b2ec9c435f3b6b8b7ac6d26.jpg

Edited by comicquant

Yes- it is graded 8.0 white by CBCS. It is a key book . I would prefer to have it CGC but my fear is it grades lower due to the writing on the back  . I realize there is risk either way but knowing if CGC penalizes the grade due to the writing on the back is key in my decision to sending in for CGC grading. If they deduct due to this I probably just leave it alone with the way it is, if they don't hold that against the grade then I take my chances and resubmit to CGC hope for the best. Thanks

On 4/10/2019 at 8:01 AM, sledgehammer said:

It's already graded? By some company other than CGC?

You're hoping to know what additional hit there will be?

I must know these things.

:wink:

:acclaim:

The ink writing on the back was accounted for, but obviously there's still a chance the overall grade will drop.

I don't think it will be because CGC holds that "more" against the book than some other company does.

I agree with everything you said two piece, that's why I want to send to CGC for those reasons, just hate the thought it coming back lower grade than it is. Im no worried about the book condition itself as confident it is 8.0 all day, maybe higher. Just wasn't sure how CGC held such issues against a book as Im still fairly new to the hobby. Will just do it and hope for the best . Thanks to all who chimed in.   

well I know CGC had a promo going on don't know if its till active but it was a crossover promo that if your book dropped a grade they would charge you a reduced rate for grading. That might be a bonus incentive for you to do the crossover grading if its still available.