• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can the inner-well of a CGC case damage the book?

26 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would say yes, contact with the lips may result in bends to possible damage. Not sure what you can do about it preventing it but it's not a 'common' occurence either. 

If that's the case (no pun intended), then it seems like a flawed design. After-all, isn't one of the main points of a slab to protect the comic?

4 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

If that's the case (no pun intended), then it seems like a flawed design. After-all, isn't one of the main points of a slab to protect the comic?

I don't think there is any such thing as a flawless design. Note the corners of the two lips have room to allow movement. Take away all movement and the books cannot handle a shipment, sometimes resulting in tears at the staple area. In my opinion, most damage occurs from shipping.  

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think there is any such thing as a flawless design. Note the corners of the two lips have room to allow movement. Take away all movement and the books cannot handle a shipment, sometimes resulting in tears at the staple area. In my opinion, most damage occurs from shipping.  

How would damage occur to a book that didn't move (and i don't mean shipping)? Isn't SCS caused exactly by movement of the book itself?

Edited by Darkowl

Your book should never be removed from that case again.  It is trapped.  Trapped like a rat in a trap.  Now you have a label with a grade.  If you remove it who knows what grade it is now.  It's a catch 22 ain't it.   

(P.S. All of the above were said with sarcasm.  I am not a big fan of this encapsulation business, but I understand it has its place.  I think I own 2 total, and that is probably 1 too many).   But the process is still pretty new.  Do we really know what the long term effects of slabbing are?  It may be nothing, it may be something.  I like a good board, with mylar, temperature control and no sunlight.  Done and done. 

24 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Your book should never be removed from that case again.  It is trapped.  Trapped like a rat in a trap.  Now you have a label with a grade.  If you remove it who knows what grade it is now.  It's a catch 22 ain't it.   

(P.S. All of the above were said with sarcasm.  I am not a big fan of this encapsulation business, but I understand it has its place.  I think I own 2 total, and that is probably 1 too many).   But the process is still pretty new.  Do we really know what the long term effects of slabbing are?  It may be nothing, it may be something.  I like a good board, with mylar, temperature control and no sunlight.  Done and done. 

I feel like i might be headed that direction, tbh (slab free). I do like the restoration check CGC performs though, and with signed books, it's incredibly important to know that it is 100% authentic.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

CGC inner-wells don't damage comic books - people damage books.

Just for the record, I have experienced damage from poor installation of the inner well. I even experienced a situation where the cover was partially heat sealed to the inner well causing the cover to tear off. Stuff can happen, not often, but it's possible. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Just for the record, I have experienced damage from poor installation of the inner well. I even experienced a situation where the cover was partially heat sealed to the inner well causing the cover to tear off. Stuff can happen, not often, but it's possible. 

Wells don't just fire- I mean, seal, themselves!

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Did CGC take responsibility for it?

On 4/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, Darkowl said:

I feel like i might be headed that direction, tbh (slab free). I do like the restoration check CGC performs though, and with signed books, it's incredibly important to know that it is 100% authentic.

It has it's place.  I am amazed at some of the mid-grade, non-key, quite common silver and bronze age stuff people send in and waste money on slabbing.  Does a Fantastic Four #98 in 5.0 really need to be debated it's a mid grade book?

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

It has it's place.  I am amazed at some of the mid-grade, non-key, quite common silver and bronze age stuff people send in and waste money on slabbing.  Does a Fantastic Four #98 in 5.0 really need to be debated it's a mid grade book?

I agree with you but it seems like new collectors are now perfectly fine with owning and submitting lower grades. I'm sure CGC is fine with this = more submissions. Part of the problem is high grade has gotten so expensive. The lower grades have attracted more collectors. As long as the lower grade present well, why not submit them, collect them. Golden Age is currently in that category. 

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree with you but it seems like new collectors are now perfectly fine with owning and submitting lower grades. I'm sure CGC is fine with this = more submissions. Part of the problem is high grade has gotten so expensive. The lower grades have attracted more collectors. As long as the lower grade present well, why not submit them, collect them. Golden Age is currently in that category. 

Not that everyone does this but I remember my first submission way back when CGC first started.  I was scared to death to send one of my better books.  First having them leave my hands, potentially getting damaged or even worse lost in transit, and then being handled my other human hands and subjugated to some foreign machinery.  So I sent in some mid-grade BA books and since then have subbed hundreds of books.