• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is Mister Magik Woo ? He is marked on label from his collection
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I obtained a book and on the label it has from the personal collection of Mister Magik Woo . Obviously he is somebody to be noted on the label. Pretty much my question is -should I leave this alone and keep as it is or should I get recased and have his name removed form label? I personally don't care for that label with his name on it that is why Im asking, but at same time don't want to recase and remove if he is somebody special and it adds to the overall appeal or value of the book with him noted on it ? Still new to the hobby that is why Im asking. Thanks    

As you can see from the linked thread, your book is from a collection, and isn't from a pedigree.  The former was amassed in the secondary market, in the case of Magik Woo by a collector of exceptional high grade material and a lot of it.  The latter are original owner collections of exceptional quality, depth, and breadth of vintage material.

I wouldn't expect the designation to add anything to the value of every comic, but there may be some keys that Woo owned truly outstanding copies of, and may become known in the marketplace as standout copies.  Personally, I collect comics and neither cases nor the labels that come with them, and so wouldn't care a lick about your "from the collection of" designation.

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

As you can see from the linked thread, your book is from a collection, and isn't from a pedigree.  The former was amassed in the secondary market, in the case of Magik Woo by a collector of exceptional high grade material and a lot of it.  The latter are original owner collections of exceptional quality, depth, and breadth of vintage material.

I never knew this. I thought they only notated Pedigrees.

Edit: I lied. I forgot about seeing, "from the collection of Nicolas Cage", before. I just forgot about it until now.

Edited by TwoPiece

23 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I forgot about seeing, "from the collection of Nicolas Cage", before.

Mr Woo was based out of Seattle, WA about 33 years ago and drove all over the USA and Western Canada to buy/sell/trade vintage comics and newer hot comics of the day (e.g. Killing Joke, etc). He was later based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada. He basically did not buy or restock any vintage back issues for about 25 years before having his high grade :foryou: SA and GA comics slabbed by Voldemort grading and auctioned off by HA.com.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Edit: I lied. I forgot about seeing, "from the collection of Nicolas Cage", before. I just forgot about it until now.

And more recently ‘From the collection of Jon Berk”.

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

I wouldn't expect the designation to add anything to the value of every comic, but there may be some keys that Woo owned truly outstanding copies of, and may become known in the marketplace as standout copies.  Personally, I collect comics and neither cases nor the labels that come with them, and so wouldn't care a lick about your "from the collection of" designation.

This sounds about right.  But I would think there would be SOME value added to nearly every comic in the collection, though that value might not be significant.  Given the choice of most of the books at an exact same grade that you were going to buy anyway, I think most people given the opportunity and evidence would pay at least a $1 more for the 'collection' book.  Not a significant value added in every case, but value added nonetheless. 

9 hours ago, jimjackjett said:

I obtained a book and on the label it has from the personal collection of Mister Magik Woo . Obviously he is somebody to be noted on the label. Pretty much my question is -should I leave this alone and keep as it is or should I get recased and have his name removed form label? I personally don't care for that label with his name on it that is why Im asking, but at same time don't want to recase and remove if he is somebody special and it adds to the overall appeal or value of the book with him noted on it ? Still new to the hobby that is why Im asking. Thanks    

Some collectors are exclusively interested in the book itself while others have an interest in the history of a book. Can only speak for myself and will say that there are great books out there that were once part of incredible collections not designated pedigrees. There are also books out there that have been in collections belonging to interesting owners. A few collections that come to mind are Jerry Robinson, Edenwald, Nick Cage, Jon Berk, Pinnacle Hill, and Sid's Luncheonette (Edenwald & Sid's books are original owner collections). Some collectors will pay a premium for copies coming out of these collections while others won't. Comes down to a collector's interest. Btw, welcome to the hobby and buying what you like is an enjoyable experience!

best,

john

Edited by bronze johnny

On 4/12/2019 at 7:32 AM, jimjackjett said:

Obviously he is somebody to be noted on the label.

One of the main reasons he got the designation is because he had the highly sought after Gerber Photo Journal (Philly) copy of Suspense Comics #3 in his collection.  This was before the once thought to be non-existent Church copy came out of nowhere and was unearthed about a year later.

In addition, he also had an uber HG collection of SA Marvels including the then highest graded copy of ASM 14.