• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab crackers anonymous

48 posts in this topic

Been debating this for a month or two...got about 80 books all for my personal collection, ranging from 9.2 to 9.6, inclusive of perhaps 20 pedigrees.

They're taking up too much space and quite frankly, they look like arse in the CGC cases. I want them in slick Ernie Gerber mylars, so that I can stroke and smell and all that nonsense.

But I'm basically going to throw away pot-loads of money by doing it...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What to do? What to do?

Try one...and see how it feels. That's how I got started grin.gif

Yeah, I've already done a few and it feels...liberating.

However, although these are books that I have no intention of selling, the loss of 'value' niggles.

I know the argument that they remain the same books, in exactly the same condition, but this [embarrasing lack of self control]-up market says otherwise.

That's why I rarely crack open a 9.6, unless it's something from the 80's or later. I think I only cracked out two bronze 9.6's ever, and both of them had cream to off-white pages so I figured that their "value" was just as diminished being in the case as out (I find the the page quality desigination to be the most inconsistent facet of CGC grading, but that's just me). Plus I never plan to sell them, anyways.

Generally, though, if it's a 9.0 or less, and it's not golden age, out of the case it goes. I have cracked open some GA, too. The highgrade GA, though, I figure that you never know when I might want it in a trade for something more desirable. So I've kept a lot of it slabbed for its purported liquidity.

Though here's a quandry---I KNOW that I will never sell or trade this book (unless somebody's offering 10x guide?), I know it will present better in mylar, and yet I cannot uncrack it all the same. Is that weird?

AllStar6.jpg

Been debating this for a month or two...got about 80 books all for my personal collection, ranging from 9.2 to 9.6, inclusive of perhaps 20 pedigrees.

They're taking up too much space and quite frankly, they look like arse in the CGC cases. I want them in slick Ernie Gerber mylars, so that I can stroke and smell and all that nonsense.

But I'm basically going to throw away pot-loads of money by doing it...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What to do? What to do?

Indulge yourself! sumo.gif

gossip.gifnobody else will! gossip.gif

headbang.gif

Man, talk about a liberating experience! I just cracked open my first slab --- Fantastic Four # 3 in CGC 2.0. It's a very tight book for the grade, and the page quality seems to be more of a nice OW rather than Cream-OW. It feels good in-hand, and looks great in a mylar.

Look for it to be listed on eBay in the next few days as a raw Very Fine. stooges.gif

This particular book probably didn't need to be slabbed in the first place, but CGC certification really is a great buying and selling tool. It'll take some time to build up the courage to crack the FF # 5 I bought in SD, though! yay.gif

Hey - when can I see these puppies??? hi.gif

Hey David! hi.gif

How's the new house? You're welcome to come over anytime for an in-person viewing, but here are some scans:

FF # 3 pre-slab crack:

FF3_Heritage_Win-600sm.jpg

FF # 5:

FF_5-fr-600sm.jpg

That's why I rarely crack open a 9.6, unless it's something from the 80's or later. I think I only cracked out two bronze 9.6's ever, and both of them had cream to off-white pages so I figured that their "value" was just as diminished being in the case as out (I find the the page quality desigination to be the most inconsistent facet of CGC grading, but that's just me). Plus I never plan to sell them, anyways.

I cracked 5 9.6s for my last Sig series submission, and just cracked 2 more for Chicago.

I'll probably keep cracking until I'm down to just the slabs I submitted myself. I may even crack some of those...if McFarlane makes another appearance. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm seriously considering cracking out my HULK 181 tonight........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I cracked my 9.2 ASM 194 just to keep myself from throwing it up on Ebay. I cracked my WBN 37 double-cover in order to make it less liquid as well.

As I said...I'm thinking about cracking my Hulk 181 to ensure that it doesn't make it's way to Ebay. It's the only copy I've ever owned, and I would like it to remain a permanent fixture in my collection.