• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab crackers anonymous

48 posts in this topic

Man, talk about a liberating experience! I just cracked open my first slab --- Fantastic Four # 3 in CGC 2.0. It's a very tight book for the grade, and the page quality seems to be more of a nice OW rather than Cream-OW. It feels good in-hand, and looks great in a mylar.

Look for it to be listed on eBay in the next few days as a raw Very Fine. stooges.gif

This particular book probably didn't need to be slabbed in the first place, but CGC certification really is a great buying and selling tool. It'll take some time to build up the courage to crack the FF # 5 I bought in SD, though! yay.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I prefer to use the term "liberate"...but the feeling is always the same

So far I've liberated books from

CGC

CGG

PGA

& PGX

What were those other Mickey Mouse outfits that were slabbing comics for a while...?

I remember "Ace" but there was another one, surfaced about the same time as CGG ??

Never cracked any of those... confused-smiley-013.gif

I would never crack a book unless I was getting it signature series'd and reslabbed. There is no need. I mean if I want to read the book there are plenty of TPB's and practially everything is reprinted these days except for some pre-code indy books like ACG or FOX and some platinum books besides most of that stuff is either pulps which are too large to slab or very boring. I mean who reads Yellow Kid or More Fun 1-10

I would never crack a book unless I was getting it signature series'd and reslabbed. There is no need. I mean if I want to read the book there are plenty of TPB's and practially everything is reprinted these days except for some pre-code indy books like ACG or FOX and some platinum books besides most of that stuff is either pulps which are too large to slab or very boring. I mean who reads Yellow Kid or More Fun 1-10

so you're not interested in reading...

- the letters

- Stan's (and the others) editorals

- cool cool 60's ads

And you don't care to smell the pages ?? (perish the thought) confused-smiley-013.gif

- the letters

- cool cool 60's ads

And you don't care to smell the pages ?? (perish the thought) confused-smiley-013.gif

Not if I'm paying a premium for CGC's grading. I can buy a beater reader copy.

don't get me wrong I have reader copies of some books because they haven't came out in trade yet. plus I have plenty of raw books that I can smell and read. But once the books are graded and certified they should stay that way unless they are extremely low grade books that you bought to read or restore. I the case of restoration the books should be re-submitted just for documentation purposes

- the letters

- cool cool 60's ads

Which is sort of why I was curious about not breaking out Stan Lee File Copies. I mean, they are all pretty much beater reader copies. I haven't thought about it too much, but they might well be the first books I'd crack out, not the last.

That's my sentiment as well.

- the letters

- cool cool 60's ads

Not everyone likes beater copies, just like not everyone likes high grade copies.

I don't like either, my ideal book is between 3.0 and 5.0 and if you buy smart, there is hardly a premium between a raw Silver Age 4.0 and a CGC 4.0.

- the letters

- cool cool 60's ads

Not everyone likes beater copies, just like not everyone likes high grade copies.

I don't like either, my ideal book is between 3.0 and 5.0 and if you buy smart, there is hardly a premium between a raw Silver Age 4.0 and a CGC 4.0.

4.0 would be a reader copy.... laugh.gif

But once the books are graded and certified they should stay that way

I hope you are talking about high grade books,which you want to keep for possible future resale otherwise I don't really see it that way... confused-smiley-013.gif

- the letters

- cool cool 60's ads

4.0 would be a reader copy.... laugh.gif

Oh, I agree...but not a beater tongue.gif

Mid-grade highway all the way baby....all the way yay.gif