• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing Comic Books

28 posts in this topic

OK, I'm in a dilema (did I spell that right??) Now I store my comics in the long white boxes like most everyone else that collects comics. But right now I just have them stacked on top of each other (I only have two long boxes, just getting back into it) I was wondering if you guys have any better ideas or things you use yourselves, like a shelving unit or something, besides having them stacked like boxes of old clothes.

Ahh Comic storage, one of my favorite topics

I drew up some plans to give to a local carpenter for a custom made bookcase to hold about 10.000 comics and also hold about 500 TPBs.

The unit is about 80% filled now....

here's a pic

cabinet1.jpg

kast2.jpg

here's the empty unit

newstorage.jpg

Once the books are bagged and boarded I put them in an upright cardboard box.

These are not your usual long and shortboxes, but magazine-storage type boxes which display and protect better and are acid-free

I get about 50 comics in each box and they are very easy to access.

Each box also has a label telling me which series or books are inside

kast1.jpg

kast4.jpg

None of the comics get squashed, and none can move at all, I place boards in the the boxes at both ends to ensure a perfect fit

Also a good way to store heavy HCs and TPBs

kast3.jpg

Hey Chromium, I don't think I have the room for that type of setup but I was just wondering how much it ran you? If you don't mind me asking.

wasn't cheap....paid about 2K for the unit, designed and drew the plans myself, then had a local carpenter pick out the wood, build it, bring it to my house and assemble it.

The magazine boxes are great, but expensive as I went for a nice design. they're about $1.50 per box and I'm up to 175 boxes.... crazy.gif

I'm pretty sure you can get cheaper boxes, but I picked up the ones usinc acid-free cardboard.

Show off! poke2.gif

Whatever you do, don't buy the steel shelving from Home Depot. 893naughty-thumb.gif It's cheap enough (something like $35-40/unit - each unit will hold 6 long boxes and still leave the top shelf open), but they are poorly designed. I had to buy extra hardware to make them work.

I actually wrote the manufacturer (something I never do) to complain about the design and assembly issues. Never heard back from them. mad.gif

You had to show off that complete run of Avengers didt you 893censored-thumb.gif

Well I had to, as I couldn't get the complete run of the FF in one picture confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe if I try with ASM ??...

879714-asmfull.jpg

Nope, need a wider lens devil.gifdevil.gif

879714-asmfull.jpg.e6de9ffb8329cc101d34c502a0a3e420.jpg

You had to show off that complete run of Avengers didt you 893censored-thumb.gif

Well I had to, as I couldn't get the complete run of the FF in one picture confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe if I try with ASM ??...

879714-asmfull.jpg

Nope, need a wider lens devil.gifdevil.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Awesome way to display the collection Chrom!

wasn't cheap....paid about 2K for the unit, designed and drew the plans myself, then had a local carpenter pick out the wood, build it, bring it to my house and assemble it.

The magazine boxes are great, but expensive as I went for a nice design. they're about $1.50 per box and I'm up to 175 boxes.... crazy.gif

Absoutely the sweetest setup chrom. But did you ever think that you could have picked up a $3,000 book for the cost and just stacked up white boxes on top of each other?

Just kidding. Very impressive set up and an equally impressive collection!

Elvis

Absoutely the sweetest setup chrom. But did you ever think that you could have picked up a $3,000 book for the cost and just stacked up white boxes on top of each other?

Just kidding. Very impressive set up and an equally impressive collection!

Elvis

Thanks dude smile.gif As I have no real high grade in my collection, I need something to obsess over and brag about wink.gif

BTW, loved you in "King Creole" thumbsup2.gif

hey chromium I like the set up do you think it would work for CGC books as well as raw books. could you send me a PM with some more pictures and the plans to build those shelves

Unfortunately the carpenter made off with my plans, which were hand drawn and the only workable copy sign-rantpost.gif

But I'll be making some more shots of the set-up and will post them next week.

Anyone got anything that doesn't cost so damn much !!!!??!?!? No offense (and i'm sure you guys won't take any) but I don't have as much money as you guys do, I'm just a 22 year old Army Veteran going to college now. Maybe someone has something in the 50 to 100 dollar range that they have seen????

Ill try and post some pics of my closet in a little bit. What i did is I took an empty closet and built shelves in it. The bottom shelf is about 6 inches off of the floor (its in my basement) to guard against flooding. I then placed 1 piece of 5/8ths sub-flooring. I then placed 7 16" 2x4" on the sides and in the middle to support it. I then placed another peice of sub-flooring on it. I attached the top peice to the bottom by simply drilling into the 2x4 brace underneath it.

I use the bottom shelf to store runs im either not working on or have completed a run that fits in a short box. I.E. Thor 200-299 300-399 400-502 Avengers 200-299 300-402 (sorry had to slip that in yay.gif

Here are the pics of my storage shelves in my closet. I forgot to mention that I put up a half shelf where the ceiling slopes down and meets the back wall. I put all of my bags, boards and stuff to sort and read up there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, is that an Avengers 1 i spy in one pick? cloud9.gif

Closet2.jpg

Closet1.jpg

I was going to wait until I got a bit more organized before taking/posting a pic, but I didn't.

Got these shelves at LOWE'S for about $65 per. Holds 16 short boxes (20 if you use the top shelf) perfectly. I took an empty short box to the store to make sure I got the proper depth when I bought the first set. Heavy duty yet you'll be able to move them yourself.

9a93s0.jpg

I see everyone pretty much uses short boxes. I started by buying long boxes, are there any advantages about short boxes to long boxes. Or are they just better for storing in shelving units and such