• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What must I do to get your grade... on this True Life Secrets #23?

28 posts in this topic

I've owned a few of these over the years, and I always find this issue hard to grade for some reason. I believe the scuff in "Life" is a printing flaw. Cover whites are creamy. A faint smudge or two but pretty nice overall.

truelifesecrets23fvf.jpg.89785ccede851ba194502973bd223ed3.jpg

truelifesecrets23fvfback.jpg.e4faabcc1c556b1f40be1a4ccc3c8950.jpg

46 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Whoever asks the grade of comic must answer me these questions three, and the grade opinion he see...

Ain't nobody got time for that.  :taptaptap:

You guys kill me...  lol  

Point Five, one of my friends (also a grader) always used to ask me: "What's wrong with the book?" Meaning, what flaws bring it down, and why? But some books just seem to be a certain grade, and it's tough to see them any differently. Granted, there are times where a book has too many flaws to fall within a certain range, but on this copy, it appears many of those perceived flaws are actually printing flaws, not real damage. But most people would tend to downgrade for them anyway, because they're noticeable. This may be one of the reasons this book seems difficult to grade. You're an excellent grader, one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. But every grader I've ever worked with has certain areas they're stronger in than others, and everyone likes to get another opinion on the tough books...  :gossip:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

You guys kill me...  lol  

Point Five, one of my friends (also a grader) always used to ask me: "What's wrong with the book?" Meaning, what flaws bring it down, and why? But some books just seem to be a certain grade, and it's tough to see them any differently. Granted, there are times where a book has too many flaws to fall within a certain range, but on this copy, it appears many of those perceived flaws are actually printing flaws, not real damage. But most people would tend to downgrade for them anyway, because they're noticeable. This may be one of the reasons this book seems difficult to grade. You're an excellent grader, one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. But every grader I've ever worked with has certain areas they're stronger in than others, and everyone likes to get another opinion on the tough books...  :gossip:

Thanks for the kind words, Lion! I have learned a lot here. Right back atcha, always enjoy your posts. (thumbsu

26 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

The cover seems dull but this may be a time period thing...

You know, I don't disagree. It's not faded IMO but I've had other copies with a little more color snap to the yellow. Hard to say if that would be factored into the grade at this level.

23 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

My older copy which I thought floated around a 7.0 ... similar scuffing within the 'F' in 'Life', and around the 'True' in the black banner ...

Yep. There you go!

So how much evidence is needed to determine those marks are, in fact, printer defects? (not that I'm asking boardies to start posting covers on a rampant scale) ... but I thought it would be interesting to see compare covers ... how would CGC respond to, say, 30 covers of similar defects?

The yellow on that second copy looks crisper. Is it foxing or tanning affected the original poster's comic? Would cleaning brighten it up at all? Again, noob here in terms of stuff like cleaning. 

@BuscemasAvengers

I would rate yours closer to an 8.0 personally. Simply because of the brightness on the yellow.

Edited by comicginger1789