• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Spook #23!

12 posts in this topic

Interesting case here. Slight cover oxidation resulting in some chips on both covers. But electric color strike and gloss make it look super fresh. Tight staples, all attached. What do you think?

spook23.jpg.74d0e5a65c3872cc35b7326f91c1dc96.jpg

spook23back.jpg.5176186a05dc15eeb286ed9b79a31702.jpg

4.0 - 4.5, the combination of the missing piece and the back cover water stain (CGC is ridiculously harsh on these) and accumulation of minor defects hold this otherwise gorgeous book from a higher grade.  I suspect this would receive a CGC 4.0 due to their extreme prejudice towards stains, and despite their curious leniency on missing pieces.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

I am expecting everyone will jump on me.

Due to several stains, few tears and two small missing pieces.

It has to be VG- 3.5.  4.0 would be a borderline grade unless the graders have a good day.

Yup, that’s fair! I tend to agree. If submitting, I’d *hope* for an eye appeal bump to the 4s but a 3.5 wouldn’t surprise me. CGC does grade on structure more than anything.

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Yup, that’s fair! I tend to agree. If submitting, I’d *hope* for an eye appeal bump to the 4s but a 3.5 wouldn’t surprise me. CGC does grade on structure more than anything.

Guess what?  I just found one in eBay. It's eerily similar to your copy except one big piece is missing. The spine may have mold.  Here is a copy - https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPOOK-23-CGC-3-0-GD-VG-CR-OW-PRE-CODE-HORROR-L-B-COLE-COVER/264259186715?hash=item3d8713301b:g:BlcAAOSweEFcdZ47:sc:USPSPriority!60004!US!-1

I bet your book may lock at VG- 3.5 at least.