• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicSupply Grading Contest Round 11

68 posts in this topic

I have been silent this entire contest because I really just wanted to play and have some fun and practice my grading. However, I think that the "byes" are totally unfair, especially at these late stages of the contest. All five of us should go against each other. What do the other 4 "losers" think?

thanks john

36 pastandpresentcomics.

The Byes are certainly a huge advantage whenever they are awarded. You got one, I think you should take it. Twelve other contestants have gotten that benefit, why stop now?

I would like to see them actually RANDOMLY doled out to Bye-less contestants though. The way the pairings have been done, and the way the Byes have been given out, has typically resulted in the odd-man-out who gets the Bye being a mid-numbered contestant. boo.gif

Actually the Byes are not just given to whoever is the odd man out. They are pulled out of a container that has everyone's number in it that has not received a bye yet. We have went over this many many times now. sumo.gif

I agree the format is not the best. It was put together and it didn't work out very well but live and learn. Next time it will be different. As for the rules they will stay the same for the duration of this contest.

Actually the Byes are not just given to whoever is the odd man out. They are pulled out of a container that has everyone's number in it that has not received a bye yet. We have went over this many many times now. sumo.gif

Yes, I've seen that repeated, but the results have seemed to defy the odds if that is actually the case. Allow me to illustrate:

#5 vs #8

#10 vs #13

#17 vs #20

#23 vs #25

#27 vs #37

#39 vs #41

#45 vs #48

#49 vs #51

#54 vs #55

PLAYER #32 GETS THE BYE THIS ROUND.

#32 is the middleman, with 9 contestant before and after

#1 vs #4

#7 vs #12

#15 vs #16

#18 vs #19

#24 vs #28

#30 vs #33

#34 vs #35

#36 vs #38

#40 vs #42

#44 vs #47

#50 vs #53

#56 GETS THE BYE

#56 is the max numbered contestant

LOSERS BRACKET MATCHUPS

#3 vs #5

#6 vs #8

#9 vs #10

#11 vs #14

#17 vs #21

#22 vs #23

#26 vs #31

#32 vs #37

#39 vs #41

#43 vs #46

#48 vs #51

#52 vs #55

#29 GETS THE BYE

Random? confused-smiley-013.gif#29 is the nearly the middleman, with 13/11 contestant before and after

MEGA LOSERS MATCHUPS

#13 vs #25

#27 vs #45

#49 vs #54

#20 AUTOMATIC BYE

Random? confused-smiley-013.gif

WINNERS BRACKET

#1 AUTOMATIC BYE

#7 vs #15

#18 vs #28

#30 vs #33

#34 vs #36

#38 vs #42

#44 vs #50

#53 vs #56

#1 is the min numbered contestant

LOSERS BRACKET

#21 AUTOMATIC BYE

#3 vs #4

#6 vs #10

#12 vs #14

#16 vs #17

#19 vs #22

#23 vs #24

#26 vs #29

#31 vs #35

#37 vs #40

#41 vs #43

#47 vs #48

#51 vs #52

WINNERS BRACKET MATCHUPS

#1 vs #15

#28 vs #33

#36 vs #38

#44 vs #56

#34 gets a bye

#34 is the middleman, with 4 contestant before and after

LOSER BRACKET

#1 vs #3

#4 vs #7

#18 vs #19

#21 vs #29

#31 vs #33

#36 vs #40

#43 vs #50

#51 vs #53

#30 Automatic Bye

#30 is the middleman, with 8 contestant before and after

MEGA LOSER BRACKET

#5 vs #6

#12 vs #14

#16 vs #17

#23 vs #24

#26 vs #27

#37 vs #41

#42 vs #46

#48 vs #52

#35 Automatic Bye

#1 vs #53

#3 vs #50

#7 vs #43

#19 vs #40

#21 vs #38

#28 vs #36

#30 vs #33

#31 AUTOMATIC BYE

#31 is the middleman, with 8 contestant before and after. C'mon, the contestants

in this round were clearly paired just by starting by pairing the max/min numbers,

and working towards the middle. Obviously the middleman doesn't get paired up and gets the bye.

Mega Losers Bracket

#5 vs #7

#12 vs #17

#19 vs #24

#26 vs #33

#35 vs #37

#38 vs #43

#50 vs #52

#28 Automatic Bye

I just can't believe that JC was actually a random pick at that point! Anyone else?

Losers Bracket

#21 vs #36

#40 vs #44

#53 vs #56

#15 Automatic Bye

#15 is the min numbered contestant

Mega Losers Bracket

#3 vs #5

#17 vs #26

#30 vs #31

#33 vs #37

#38 vs #43

#50 vs #52

#19 Automatic Bye

Random? Or just that the exact middlemen all had already had byes so weren't eligible...confused-smiley-013.gif

Losers Bracket

#15 vs #21

#44 vs #53

#36 Bye

#36 is the middleman, with 2 contestant before and after

To me the results don't suggest random allocation of the byes. But then, maybe JC's

paranoia is just rubbing off on me... 27_laughing.gif

You have the right to think any way you want. If that is the way you want to spin it that is fine with me. If there were different players that got a bye each round you still could make another illustration and make more theories up.

I have nothing to gain giving anyone bye's. I don't give a damn who gets it. I am the one who has pulled these numbers for most of the rounds.

But I can say this if you don't like the way the contest is ran then drop out. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay in. makepoint.gif

I have had it with all the whining. It is a waste of my time to have to sit and read all this [embarrasing lack of self control] just to get to the normal contest posts. I sit and think we are giving prizes out and to boot we have to put up the with whining 24/7.

If the small few of you would like to ruin it for everyone else we can just call this off now. We are far too busy to have to deal with this every 5 minutes when someone else has a new gripe. yeahok.gif

You have the right to think any way you want. If that is the way you want to spin it that is fine with me. If there were different players that got a bye each round you still could make another illustration and make more theories up.

I have nothing to gain giving anyone bye's. I don't give a damn who gets it. I am the one who has pulled these numbers for most of the rounds.

But I can say this if you don't like the way the contest is ran then drop out. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay in. makepoint.gif

I have had it with all the whining. It is a waste of my time to have to sit and read all this [embarrasing lack of self control] just to get to the normal contest posts. I sit and think we are giving prizes out and to boot we have to put up the with whining 24/7.

If the small few of you would like to ruin it for everyone else we can just call this off now. We are far too busy to have to deal with this every 5 minutes when someone else has a new gripe. yeahok.gif

But Bella, Oliver Stone is going to make a movie out of this, It's the "Grassy Bye Theory!"

There is no way that bye could have left me, changed direction,,moved a few numbers up and hit JC, the laws of Physics don't allow for this. No way this could happen with one lone person handing out the byes,,,we should have some kind of group investigation,,,some kind of commision,,ya, that's what we should do! screwy.gif

Thank You BD! That needed to be said a long time ago. I've been frustrated with seeing you an CS take all this grief all along and didn't have the kahonas to tell them to just STFU. (They wouldn't have listened to me anyway) There now I feel better too.

Thank You BD! That needed to be said a long time ago. I've been frustrated with seeing you an CS take all this grief all along and didn't have the kahonas to tell them to just STFU. (They wouldn't have listened to me anyway) There now I feel better too.

Amen Nef. I felt the same way too shy.gif

Having been a past winner of the Grading Contest Drama Queen of the Week....I think the whining and debating and micro-analyzing of the contest rules, scans and grades is part of the whole package....as is fun up to a point. As long as it's mixed in with a very heavy portion of praise for the folks running the contest and an appreciation of the patience needed to run one of these monsters.

So three cheers for the CS/Belladonna Collaboration......don't take too much of the hypothesizing personally,....ignore it and it will go away.

Now GIMME' YER GODDAM LUNCH MONEY!!!! (was that better?)

Red

Having been a past winner of the Grading Contest Drama Queen of the Week....I think the whining and debating and micro-analyzing of the contest rules, scans and grades is part of the whole package....as is fun up to a point. As long as it's mixed in with a very heavy portion of praise for the folks running the contest and an appreciation of the patience needed to run one of these monsters.

So three cheers for the CS/Belladonna Collaboration......don't take too much of the hypothesizing personally,....ignore it and it will go away.

Red

Hip hip horray, hip hip horray, hip hip horray!

Bully stooges.gif

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

If that is the way you want to spin it that is fine with me.

Five of the byes were given to the middleman. makepoint.gif

That's not spin. That's the facts, and nothing but the facts. One of you mathematicians tell me, what are the odds of that happening randomly?

I have nothing to gain giving anyone bye's. I don't give a damn who gets it.

I am the one who has pulled these numbers for most of the rounds.

I have had it with all the whining. It is a waste of my time to have to sit and read all this [embarrasing lack of self control] just to get to the normal

contest posts. I sit and think we are giving prizes out and to boot we have to put up the with whining 24/7.

I think most objective observers would conclude that the results do NOT appear random.

It's not whining to point that out.

The players also have invested their time in reading the threads and submitting grades and hoping that the contest is run smoothly and fairly.

And remember, we were also told, repeatedly, that the pairings would be done randomly after the 3rd or 4th or so round. And that never happened. The best mixup that happened was one round of pairings of the opposite ends of the list of players. I don't believe everything I read...

Nah, I'm not a quitter, I'll submit my grades/guesses for as long as I can manage to hang in there and let the chips fall where they may.

Red

But I gave you my lunch money last week. 27_laughing.gif

If that is the way you want to spin it that is fine with me.

Five of the byes were given to the middleman. makepoint.gif

That's not spin. That's the facts, and nothing but the facts. One of you mathematicians tell me, what are the odds of that happening randomly?

I have nothing to gain giving anyone bye's. I don't give a damn who gets it.

I am the one who has pulled these numbers for most of the rounds.

I have had it with all the whining. It is a waste of my time to have to sit and read all this [embarrasing lack of self control] just to get to the normal

contest posts. I sit and think we are giving prizes out and to boot we have to put up the with whining 24/7.

I think most objective observers would conclude that the results do NOT appear random.

It's not whining to point that out.

The players also have invested their time in reading the threads and submitting grades and hoping that the contest is run smoothly and fairly.

And remember, we were also told, repeatedly, that the pairings would be done randomly after the 3rd or 4th or so round. And that never happened. The best mixup that happened was one round of pairings of the opposite ends of the list of players. I don't believe everything I read...

Nah, I'm not a quitter, I'll submit my grades/guesses for as long as I can manage to hang in there and let the chips fall where they may.

CS is the one who decides who to pair and how. That's up to him. If he does not want to do it then that is the way it is. I pull the number and he pairs the players. I can make sure we pair you with one of our best graders. How's that?

Then the chips will fall 27_laughing.gif

I do not blame you if you do not believe everything you read. That is fine with me. I do not believe everything I read either. But I also do not open my mouth when I cannot back it up with certainty that something is not right. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I just do not think you get it. It makes me a little mad I can admit that. One reasons it makes me mad is this. It takes about 20 minutes just to get the number(s) to give the bye's out. Every week I pull the people who were eliminated. Then I have to go to each container for each bracket and move the numbers to the correct container for that round as people lose and move down a bracket. Then when all that is said and done I count how many people are in each bracket and see which bracket(s) need a bye. Then I put my little hand in that container and pull the little piece of paper out.

Now this is where I have wasted at least 20 minutes of my day for you to tell me this is not random.You are out of your mind. What I can do for you now is this. I will stop wasting my time doing that and I will pick the people myself and give it to who I want. Sorry I wont be doing that, I still will be fair. Although I do remember eating pizza last week and I think your number got some sauce on it and I threw it out. Oops. Now what are the odds of that. Anybody? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok now I feel better. I do not mind people debating and micro-analyzing of the contest rules, scans and grades or any of that. JC did a lot of that and I have no hard feelings about that. I know he did not like the bye's. I don't like the bye's either. It's when it gets out of control and people start to pizz on the entire contest but still stay in the game.

Warlord I have nothing against you at all. You may have pizzed me off but hey no harm no foul. I know people do not agree on these boards all the time. You have every right to your opinion. You have dished and I have dished back (as seen above, it's all in fun). I still have your saucy number 27_laughing.gif.

I am done now. I do not want to argue with the players, this is supposed to be fun. Now if we could move and play the game. flowerred.gif

Red

But I gave you my lunch money last week. 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, but what about this week? Guys gotta' eat ya' know........ confused-smiley-013.gif