• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCM Comic Con London 24-26 May 2019
1 1

177 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mrc said:

Thanks for the report & photos. I had no idea CGC were setting up there. For the comic book collectors, the MCM website is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Yes. It's a bit like a fart in a spacesuit isn't it. Unhelpful. 

4 hours ago, mrc said:

I often wonder if there are any mid to high grade silver / bronze books left to buy in the UK?

Not at reasonable prices, no. If it wasn't for ebay, I think I'd have to give up. It's more or less the only place left where I can find what I'm looking for now, alas. It's quite depressing seeing the 70% Marvel / 30% DC box routine everywhere. There are other publishers. But I'm probably the only one looking for them. 

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Fair play to them. The kids seemed to be having a great time and I was a little envious if I'm honest. Us old farts may moan and lament the passing of our golden comic collecting era. These kids? They're just having fun. I lost count of how many fabulously dressed girls I would have married on the spot, if I were young and carefree again.

Steve the UK con's are second rate affairs but funny enough they have already caught up with the US con's being less comic collecting related. I set up a stall at the second Belfast con after judging the stalls and attendances. There was nothing affordable as the comics were priced for mint and in fact most were 4.0 at best priced through the roof, I took the chance and sold my stuff at the second con built on this info. I priced my comics at £1 each even though they were from the 70'a and 80's and before the show opened I was nearly cleared out. I was okay with that as I had bought them for 10p each at the time and there was nothing special just nice books. As for my extra toys I did the same thing and sold them cheap but again more than I paid for them so it all worked out, my problem was I'm soft hearted and every time a child in costume passed I gave a plush or comic and also to disabled children. I had a great time and made a profit but it was hard work. The only problem I had was the older cosplay attendees they had a trade union meeting right in front of my stall and I had to use a fly swatter to shush them away.  Here is my humble little stall "Affordable collectables"

stall 2 (13).jpg

stall 1.jpg

stall 3.jpg

17 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Steve the UK con's are second rate affairs but funny enough they have already caught up with the US con's being less comic collecting related. I set up a stall at the second Belfast con after judging the stalls and attendances. There was nothing affordable as the comics were priced for mint and in fact most were 4.0 at best priced through the roof, I took the chance and sold my stuff at the second con built on this info. I priced my comics at £1 each even though they were from the 70'a and 80's and before the show opened I was nearly cleared out. I was okay with that as I had bought them for 10p each at the time and there was nothing special just nice books. As for my extra toys I did the same thing and sold them cheap but again more than I paid for them so it all worked out, my problem was I'm soft hearted and every time a child in costume passed I gave a plush or comic and also to disabled children. I had a great time and made a profit but it was hard work. The only problem I had was the older cosplay attendees they had a trade union meeting right in front of my stall and I had to use a fly swatter to shush them away.  Here is my humble little stall "Affordable collectables"

Any pence copies? :bigsmile:

That happens at the regular London fair. If someone new turns up, the existing dealers swoop in and buy everything before it opens. People are different. I was at the London fair and found a copy of the AF15 Alan Class reprint. The seller wasn't aware it had sky rocketed. Instead of buying it and making a £100 profit on eBay, I told him to up his price. I liked the guy though, as he'd helped me out before. It doesn't pay to be kind hearted I suppose Maurice. If I was a dealer, I think I'd be rubbish at it. 

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Thanks for the pics, the laughs and most importantly the cheeks (well.. at least most of them) this Monday morning Gee Em & Eye 🙏🏻👏🏻👍🏻

You are very welcome Awe and Board Her!  Of the three cheeks, one was indeed a cheek too far. But as Maurice would say, overall I enjoyed the craic :bigsmile:

47 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Only the Alan Class comics Steve I only had a handful of them.(thumbsu

1676000887_tenor(1).gif.fe5fe87a77e9b898442d60138bb179e8.gif

Thanks for the enjoyable report (thumbsu

Is there actually a UK con that is worth visiting nowadays? I travelled all the way from Sweden just to attend the LSCC, I think 3 years ago. I wasn't disappointed, despite picking up only two books from Bob Storms that I had pre-ordered. It probably costed less to come by and pick them up however, than it would cost to have them shipped and pay the import taxes. Metropolis and Heritage was also present, as well as other UK dealers, so I would say that there was a good bunch of comics.

The Stockholm Comic Con is huge, but honestly there is bigger chance I find comics in the trash on my way to work than there.

11 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Thanks for the enjoyable report (thumbsu

Cheers :)

11 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Is there actually a UK con that is worth visiting nowadays?

This was my first for a few years. As I said earlier, the inaugural LSCC (now merged with MCM) was good and had lots of dealers including many from the US which was great for me - lots of new stock to rummage through. But this one was poor. Bob storms was the only US dealer I saw, and his stock was small. The only UK dealer who you may have heard of was Incognito. They took their expensive wall stock but the table boxes were mostly clearance junk. Not what you'd expect really - just the same old stock that they bring to the regular London fair. The fact that the dealers were scattered about, and not concentrated in one zone / area was telling for me. Had they been together it would have been immediately apparent how few they were in numbers. 

So I won't be going again myself to one of these 'event' cons. I'd be surprised if the comic content covered 0.1% of the total exhibitor floor space. No, I'll stick to the regular bi-monthly London Con that has been in place for 8,000 years and which comprises just comics.  And the unwashed of course. 

51 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

No, I'll stick to the regular bi-monthly London Con that has been in place for 8,000 years and which comprises just comics.  And the unwashed of course. 

(thumbsu

55 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

London Con that has been in place for 8,000 years and which comprises just comics.

Is that the Comic mart event held in I think the Marriott hotel? I used to read about one near the Thames in some hall or other, I would like to see a few photo's if ever you attend the mart, thanks in advance Steve.(thumbsu

4 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Is that the Comic mart event held in I think the Marriott hotel? I used to read about one near the Thames in some hall or other, I would like to see a few photo's if ever you attend the mart, thanks in advance Steve.(thumbsu

No, it's at the Royal National Hotel. I did a few reports in my Marvel Pence thread. I'll see if I can find em, give me a second...

5 minutes ago, tv horror said:

That looks very promising for comics, now we all have to find Steve? 

download.png

Yes. Where is that wally?  :grin: