• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
7 7

547 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 1:22 PM, drotto said:

Just to be that person.  Imagine if they had done this scene with the woman half naked and a guy drooling over her.  There would be cries to fire the entire creative staff and cancel the remaining episodes. 

Eh. A woman topless is quite different than a man topless. Besides that, nothing was shown.

Edited by I like pie

On 7/9/2024 at 3:03 PM, I like pie said:

A woman topless is quite different than a man topless.

Yeah, it's better...provided certain measurements aren't exceeded. Lol

On 7/9/2024 at 3:03 PM, I like pie said:

Eh. A woman topless is quite different than a man topless. Besides that, nothing was shown.

In today's environment (right or wrong) even if you just showed the woman's back only with a man looking on in the same fashion, it would be considered an issue.

On 7/9/2024 at 7:57 PM, drotto said:

In today's environment (right or wrong) even if you just showed the woman's back only with a man looking on in the same fashion, it would be considered an issue.

I'd have to disagree. One hop on Instagram or Tiktok would also disagree. 

On 7/9/2024 at 9:17 PM, I like pie said:

I'd have to disagree. One hop on Instagram or Tiktok would also disagree. 

Insta and TikTok are full of Thots.  

I find it quite odd that you don't see the issues that would be raised and screamed at if the roles of the two characters had been reversed in the scene.  You can't be that "tone deaf" to what is going on in the world of TV and film.

On 7/9/2024 at 8:22 PM, media_junkie said:

Insta and TikTok are full of Thots.  

I find it quite odd that you don't see the issues that would be raised and screamed at if the roles of the two characters had been reversed in the scene.  You can't be that "tone deaf" to what is going on in the world of TV and film.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong or even acceptable. It's just what it is right now. 

The analogy of a topless man vs a topless woman just doesn't make sense.

On 7/9/2024 at 9:25 PM, I like pie said:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong or even acceptable. It's just what it is right now. 

The analogy of a topless man vs a topless woman just doesn't make sense.

The observation was partially naked not "topless" when I say that I mean the nudity is implied not necessarily shown. Thus if they just showed that back of both characters to leering eyes. 

On 7/9/2024 at 9:49 PM, I like pie said:

Tonight's episode :whatthe:

It's such a shame that this serious will be tarnished with the fake reviews of people who saw one or two episodes or none at all.  

This is great Star Wars.

Hyperspace Disaster reference was nice. I had a feeling Brendok was one of the systems touched by that devastation. 

Glad to see the trend of lying to the High Council is still alive and well during this part of the High Republic as well.

On 7/9/2024 at 10:44 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Another bad review. 

I've enjoyed it enough to watch the next week's episode.   I want to see where they land before I reserve full judgement.  As I have mentioned, I have some ideas where they are headed but I could be wrong. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/9/2024 at 9:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

I've enjoyed it enough to watch the next week's episode.   I want to see where they land before I reserve full judgement.  As I have mentioned, I have some ideas where they are headed but I could be wrong. 

I admire your patience. Even if you end of not liking the series, as a whole, I just don't understand this modern instant gratification neediness.

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet".

On 7/9/2024 at 10:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

Why are we excusing shows for making 8 episodes where 7 are marginal to bad and maybe one is good? Doing enough to string us along to maybe get thrown a bone, if they manage to stick the landing? I think it is reasonable to want every episode to have value, and provide entertainment.  It is the writers and showrunners responsibility to hook us from episode one, not make empty promises the next may be better. That does not mean your need to give us instant gratification, but you must give people something.  Here is another mystery box.  Here is another supposed cliffhanger. Here is another new character you have given me no reason to get invested in. Not to bore people while playing on their hopes there may be something more, with viewers coming up with fan theories that are almost always better than the actual payoff. 

I disagree with some here, this is not good TV let alone good Star Wars, take that for my opinion nothing more. But when your penultimate episode is 70% new footage, 30% reused footage from different angles, unexplained plot points, poorly explained motivations, and almost non-sequiturs, how is that good?  That does not even scratch the poor acting and dialog, or where $180 million went. 

Want to watch good television, go watch House of the Dragon, go watch Shogun, go watch the Bear, where the writing and acting  are so many leagues above the Acolyte it is not even funny. 

Edited by drotto

Was fun seeing the wookie finally use the force and throw the light saber around, wish there was more. The rest of the show is what it is, CW level and really shouldn't have Star Wars attached to it. As a offshoot sci fi show maybe it would be more successful  

Edited by TeddieMercede

On 7/9/2024 at 10:28 PM, drotto said:

Want to watch good television, go watch House of the Dragon, go watch Shogun, go watch the Bear, where the writing and acting  are so many leagues above the Acolyte it is not even funny. 

I love all those shows and agree they are better than Acolyte, yet I still think it's very good:cheers:

On 7/9/2024 at 11:57 PM, I like pie said:

Off topic a bit but does anyone else notice the dolby vision on D+ is very grainy?

Seems fine on mine using an Apple TV 4K. What device are you using to stream? 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 7/9/2024 at 11:03 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Seems fine on mine using an Apple TV 4K. What device are you using to stream? 

OLED55G4SUB. I'll test a torrent tomorrow but it only seems to be an issue on D+ for me(shrug)