• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS vs CGC books FIGHT!

38 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

You act as if eBay is the absolute authority here.  Was the transaction done on eBay?  Sure.  Does that mean that eBay's terms of service (which were written solely and strictly to protect eBay's own interests), trump all other terms, contracts, and agreements made by and between all other parties involved?  That simply cannot be the case, as eBay has no authority over the agreements made between the seller and USPS.  These terms have no legal standing outside of their own platform, and only give the buyer recourse (through the platform) an ability to return the item.  This does not give them legal authority to dictate responsibility when another party is involved (which in this case is USPS).

The buyer has a choice to return the item, as granted (NOT required), by eBay's terms.  Just because the buyer is provided this option, it does not mean that the buyer should exercise that option.

But if you must spout eBay terms and policy, why do you ignore the fact that they state the first step is to always contact the buyer first to try to resolve the problem or work it out?  Is this omission because it is counter to your argument on how this case should be handled?  Or is it because this supports MY original statement of contacting the buyer first (because you just can't help yourself when it comes to arguing with me)?  And no, jumping straight to demanding a return is not an attempt to "resolve the problem".

It's spelled out at the very top of the page here: https://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/
We always encourage our members to communicate with each other when there's a problem with a transaction. The first step is to contact the member through the Resolution Center and try to resolve the problem.

Need another example?  How about here:  https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returns-missing-items-refunds-buyers?id=4008#section2
If something's gone wrong with your order, the first step is to let the seller know there's a problem. If your item has gone missing, or if it's damaged or faulty, most sellers are happy to work with you to resolve the issue.

Still not proof enough?  Let's try another:  https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/resolving-issues-sellers?id=4011
If you're having an issue with an eBay seller, try contacting them directly to resolve your problem. If you can't work things out, we're always here to step in and help.

6 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

In my opinion, this "emotionally charged" language is no different than calling someone out and flat out telling them that they're wrong.  Instead, let's keep the emotion intact, as I'm happy to tell you EXACTLY how I feel about your (or anyone else's) posts.  Without these words, there's a chance you misinterpret what I'm trying to convey.

I take no offence to your disagreement, nor your own choice of words.  I would request you handle this in a similar manner, otherwise that will be your own personal issue to deal with.  In other words... sorry, not sorry.

I'm sorry you disagree, but the facts are what they are. You're arguing against positions no one has taken, and disputing facts that are beyond dispute, as laid out above. Since it always and forever takes two to argue, and arguing with people who dispute plain facts and are offended by correction doesn't accomplish much, I will now do what everyone has the ability to do: stop arguing. Always reserving, of course, the right to pick it up in light of new information.

Take care! (thumbsu

Wow, this took quite a turn haha.

The seller has been great and has gone the extra mile to ensure that no matter what I decide to do they have my back.  Also, I finally got fed up with USPS and have filed numerous damage claims and so far one has resulted in an award of $100 for $113 worth of comics so that is a good sign.

More then likely, I will end up getting the comic re slabbed if I am awarded money from USPS and will return it if not since the seller lives less than an Hour from CGC headquarters and can just do a drop off.

Since i posted this I have gotten 2 more cracked CGC cases and one is just a minor crack along the front ( impossible to tamper with the book and it's not even big enough to allow air in.

The second one, it's getting returned to seller today.  These pics show why :

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.435f43e71fabee41d8328e7332bde37a.JPG1826604923_X-men119.thumb.JPG.47e62ab4f96edc4a72cef8e498fc32c6.JPG

4 minutes ago, IMRavnos said:

The seller has been great and has gone the extra mile to ensure that no matter what I decide to do they have my back.  Also, I finally got fed up with USPS and have filed numerous damage claims and so far one has resulted in an award of $100 for $113 worth of comics so that is a good sign.

More then likely, I will end up getting the comic re slabbed if I am awarded money from USPS and will return it if not since the seller lives less than an Hour from CGC headquarters and can just do a drop off.

Since i posted this I have gotten 2 more cracked CGC cases and one is just a minor crack along the front ( impossible to tamper with the book and it's not even big enough to allow air in.

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.435f43e71fabee41d8328e7332bde37a.JPG1826604923_X-men119.thumb.JPG.47e62ab4f96edc4a72cef8e498fc32c6.JPG

Sounds like you need to find a new shipping service.  Maybe even unladen swallows would be a better choice!

On 6/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, IMRavnos said:

This your book:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCANNY-X-MEN-119-CGC-9-2-MOSES-MAGNUM-SUNFIRE-MISY-KNIGHT-/183831450213?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

...?

If so, you gotta watch out for those selling slabs with a cheapo (not free) ship costs. Boxed slabs weigh a minimum of 2 pounds, which is going to be at least $8 or so, and that's if the seller and buyer are local to each other. Most slabs cost $10+ to ship USPS Priority mail.

Was the book itself damaged?

@RockMyAmadeus That's impressive detective work, if that's his book.  How the heck did you figure that out? 461 with the orange edge? (worship)

@IMRavnos Seems like you're having bad luck with sellers not packaging their books with sufficient protection.  Favorite any seller that double boxes (1092 inside a 1095) their books with sufficient packaging. Cheaper shipping costs is not always better. As RMA pointed out, 2 pounds is about what a package should weigh.  Older slabs can be double boxed around 1lb 13-15oz and the new cases are right at 2 pounds to 2 lb 2oz.  Double size or ginormous Tec 1000 comics will weigh more.

yup, that was the book. I already returned it and the seller was super apologetic and very cool about it.  It was indeed shipped priority mail and to be honest, it was wrapped first in a double sheet of thin bubble wrap, then a thick wrap of the thick bubble wrap, then it was sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard that were 1/2" longer and wider than the slabbed book.  then that was in a priority mail if it fits it ships box that had even more bubble wrap around all that.

How this occurred is truly beyond me as the box looked only slightly damaged at the most unlike some boxes I have received that look like a gorilla used it as a seat cushion.

I guess USPS just hates me.

Although to be honest, I have nearly 60 CGC slabbed X-men books that managed to arrive with zero damage so... I guess there just must be some USPS transfer and sorting station in the mid-west or in Seattle that has Tuck-Fards working there.

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.f2195523faad704150d5236d45bc102c.JPGIMG_0316.thumb.JPG.b6e73304c48bb62e73ecdef34970d3c3.JPG

This shipment was on the LOW damage side ( no contents damaged ) as far as the boxes are concerned.

10 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

@RockMyAmadeus That's impressive detective work, if that's his book.  How the heck did you figure that out? 461 with the orange edge? (worship)

Only one Marvel book had a Curtis circulation code ending in 461 - X-Men, which is 02461.

From that, there were only 4 books that would have fit the bill with that cover dress: X-Men #98, 99, 114, and 119. The other three had the Comics Code right beneath the circulation code box, so that ruled those out. Interestingly, the label verbiage for #119 has changed multiple times, so there was only a specific timeframe that the word "and" appeared on the label like that. Once I found that label, though, it was a done deal.

Or - Magic!

1 hour ago, IMRavnos said:

yup, that was the book. I already returned it and the seller was super apologetic and very cool about it.  It was indeed shipped priority mail and to be honest, it was wrapped first in a double sheet of thin bubble wrap, then a thick wrap of the thick bubble wrap, then it was sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard that were 1/2" longer and wider than the slabbed book.  then that was in a priority mail if it fits it ships box that had even more bubble wrap around all that.

How this occurred is truly beyond me as the box looked only slightly damaged at the most unlike some boxes I have received that look like a gorilla used it as a seat cushion.

I guess USPS just hates me.

Although to be honest, I have nearly 60 CGC slabbed X-men books that managed to arrive with zero damage so... I guess there just must be some USPS transfer and sorting station in the mid-west or in Seattle that has Tuck-Fards working there.

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.f2195523faad704150d5236d45bc102c.JPGIMG_0316.thumb.JPG.b6e73304c48bb62e73ecdef34970d3c3.JPG

This shipment was on the LOW damage side ( no contents damaged ) as far as the boxes are concerned.

Those are ugly. However, if you keep making claims, someone is going to notice and tell your local PO to start being a lot more careful. What a mess.