• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

How's WWBN #32 doing? That was the biggie going up the charts when I jumped back in a couple of years ago. I said to myself, "That's crazy. Can't last forever. I'll pick it up on the downturn." Was I right or was I right?! :tonofbricks:

No, I don't want to Goggle the answer.

No, I don't want to look at GPA.

I want someone to tell me. I'll trust a stranger's opinion before I'll do the work myself. >:(

Don't wanna do nothing but finish the new John Waters' book. :banana:

EDIT: Oh, Yeah :gossip:       -     POST CLOSED!

Edited by NoMan

On 6/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

In respect of comics - graded comics - and I've said this a few times recently - and like sentences with lots of dashes in them - the five figure 9.8 could actually be the 8K 9.6 but for one grading decision on a given day. The next day, it might have been 9.6. Or 9.9. The whole thing is one big pile of nonsense. But a fun one, if you're rich. 

+1

This is actually so very true, as evident from the many board discussions here in the past talking about resubs that have come back with different grades.  (thumbsu

This is to be expected though since as we all know, grading is really nothing more than a subjective opinion by a human grader at a particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science with fixed and measurable grading standards.  Heck, the grading standards aren't even published anywhere at all and hence, subject to changing interpretation over time which is something that has clearly happened in the past.

As a result, it is in fact quite conceivable that the CGC 9.6 graded copy could possibly be graded as a CGC 9.8 copy the next day, while the CGC 9.8 graded copy could also possibly be graded as a CGC 9.6 copy the next day.  If you read the fine print on the back of their labels, the only guarantee is that the book has been "inspected" by their graders and anything beyond that is really nothing more than just a subjective opinion.  hm

So, if somebody is willing to pay double or more for a label that is (a not always set in stone) 0.2 points higher on a particular day, than all I can say is more power to them. (thumbsu

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

People were paying multiples of Guide for raw copies well before certification became established.

The multiple depended on how nice a book was, how desirable it was and how important it was. If you didn't pay the multiple, you didn't get the nice book.

I think the op was aiming at how crazy the price multiples were for grade increments of .2 which could be determined by defects not entirely visible through the naked eye. It's a valid point. 

I don't know if the valuations for a NM/MT & NM raw back in the day were on par with the difference in 9.6 & 9.8 today for older keys? I think overstreet was the main authority in comic grading back in the day? If you look at overstreet guide there's more ground covered between the grade increments than CGC with the 9's so I may have been easier to detect differences in condition? Of course all this is assuming they were able to spot restoration or trimming back then which is another matter.

I don't know since I was only collecting them to read before CGC came out.

Hmmm...  These expensive books are being fueled by old men who have money from a lengthy career and used to buy comics as a kid.  What about modern kids?  They like video games iPhones and social media.  They don't even like cars anymore!  When is the last time you have seen a comic book for sale in a store?  They used to be in every 7 11 and corner market in this country!  I am not really worried about it because I don't look at my books as investments and I am planning on giving them to my niece when I croak.

As for TwoPiece good luck with your silver age collecting!  A 9.0 is going to be your new 9.8.  Prices are up and conditions are low.  I think its more fun than modern books but it aint cheap, especially below 1965.  Captain Obvious speaks.

11 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Hmmm...  These expensive books are being fueled by old men who have money from a lengthy career and used to buy comics as a kid.  What about modern kids?  They like video games iPhones and social media.  They don't even like cars anymore!  When is the last time you have seen a comic book for sale in a store?  They used to be in every 7 11 and corner market in this country!  I am not really worried about it because I don't look at my books as investments and I am planning on giving them to my niece when I croak.

As for TwoPiece good luck with your silver age collecting!  A 9.0 is going to be your new 9.8.  Prices are up and conditions are low.  I think its more fun than modern books but it aint cheap, especially below 1965.  Captain Obvious speaks.

What's going to happen when all these old men die off?

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

What's going to happen when all these old men die off?

Their demand disappears and their supply becomes available.

So prices will obviously continue to increase, because logic doesn't exist and everybody has unlimited disposable income.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:47 AM, justafan said:

That is part of it but with comics the other 2 reasons is the combination of fear of missing out (FOMO) coupled with faith/confidence that the books are actually worth that much and will continue to be worth that much to future collectors, if not more, in the future. In other words, people with money are willing to pay that amount because they see it as an investment just as much as a hobby.

When you have less than 30 copies in 9.8 but over 100 in 9.6, that drives the fear of missing out factor (FOMO) + the demand factor + the desirability factor formula.  What you will have to pay later may be greater than what you have to pay now for it so you'd better get it for whatever you're willing to afford now. 

Being a GA collector where there are so many HTF in demand books that have less than 20 or even 10 graded copies in total across the entire condition spectrum, your definition of FOMO is actually a bit of a stretch.  hm

The only FOMO which I would see from your example above would be from the seller's point of view in the sense that they might miss out on selling the book at these ridiculous dollar amounts (especially for movie hype books) before they inevitably come crashing back down to Earth.  lol  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 6/4/2019 at 12:21 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

In respect of comics - graded comics - and I've said this a few times recently - and like sentences with lots of dashes in them - the five figure 9.8 could actually be the 8K 9.6 but for one grading decision on a given day. The next day, it might have been 9.6. Or 9.9. The whole thing is one big pile of nonsense. But a fun one, if you're rich. 

+1

This is actually so very true, as evident from the many board discussions here in the past talking about resubs that have come back with different grades.  (thumbsu

You guys make it sound like it's a total crapshoot and they're just throwing darts but that's not the case.

There is some variance in a minority of submissions where either in-betweeners could go between two grades or something changes about the book between submissions but as a general rule books don't bounce between 3 different grades as the norm.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You guys make it sound like it's a total crapshoot and they're just throwing darts but that's not the case.

There is some variance in a minority of submissions where either in-betweeners could go between two grades or something changes about the book between submissions but as a general rule books don't bounce between 3 different grades as the norm.

How is that knowable, Roy? What test can be applied to the 5 million books that have been graded? I don't mean to be difficult; I agree it's far from a total crapshoot is also my anecdotal sense. But in fairness, I'm just not sure how to prove either argument. Both sides are easy to assert but difficult to either confirm or refute.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, Black_Adam said:

I think the reason so many 9.8s have awful wraps is because that miswrapped white back cover (now on the front) hides any spine ticks that would have normally shown on a correctly-wrapped cover. I will never understand how perfect centering doesn't affect the grade of a comic like it does with nearly every other collectible...

It seems as though you still don't understand how the grading game is played after all this time.  :facepalm:

CCG is a business after all, and as such, it's really all about the money.  Obviously, clearly visible and fugly miswraps are not an additional revenue generating defect in the same sense as some of the other near invisible defects which they apply a heavy sledge hammer to in order to generate repeat business on the same book.  :gossip:

4 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

The Rule of 25 and its codicil The Rule of 75 are non forgiving demons. 75 years ago = 1944....things will start to fade.

When were Classics ever not dogs?

While never exactly "hot", I used to have a fair number of Classics collectors.  And in each case, they ONLY collected Classics.  Some wanted only 1sts, a couple wanted every variation.  But they sold slowly but steadily.  But all of these collectors were older gentlemen.  I think one actually completed his collection.  The others drifted away (or passed away I'm afraid).  At any rate... I have no local collectors for them at all anymore.  I even had a greater number of collectors for media-westerns... Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Lone Ranger, etc.  They are all gone too.  I used to get about $75 (minimum) for any original B-western movie one-sheet (nothing special... just basic movies).  Now, if they sell it all, it would be for under $20.  When I opened the business in 1984... Tarzan comics were still pretty popular... I sold a lot.  Today, nobody ever asks about them.  This isn't a complaint btw... it's just the way of things.  Every generation has different things they hold dear.

Unfortunately... my rule of 75 counts days, not years.  If it's over 75 days old... I've probably forgotten about it.  If I made this same post 11 weeks ago... I apologize.

8 hours ago, bc said:

This is nowhere near the full list of the "market crash" threads that have appeared here over the last 17 years.

For the record, I used a google search for "site:cgccomics.com market crash" to find these.

Hey this is a legit question!!:roflmao:Kids nowadays have all this media entertainment On Demand and most likely don't "need" comics like my generation :preach:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So you are telling everyone to wait 20 years and then pick up the surplus...

Yes - it’s highly likely you will get some great books at fantastic prices in 20 years.