• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s X-MEN '97 animated series (2023)
4 4

217 posts in this topic

I'm almost to the finale, I really enjoyed the adaptations and story alterations/truncations on the show - it made them interesting to watch. Hopefully I can wrap it up this week!

I went to go read some news about the show since I wrapped it all up and saw this load of tripe infecting the first page of my search results:

https://deadline.com/2024/08/x-men-97-beau-demayo-marvel-disney-exit-1236041972/

X-Men 97 Writer claims he was fired - from Disney - for posting Gay Pride fan artwork? lol

The Disney corporation lol firing someone lol for showcasing a belief they vehemently promote lol across every single media platform they have? lol

Too funny. I can’t wait to hear the real reason this guy got fired.

Edited by Dr. Balls

The story continues.

Screenshot_20240816-0539162.thumb.png.8826e7707e3a96373f6bd6f3ebc7e584.png

Marvel Studios has issued an official statement saying that “X-Men ’97” creator and head writer Beau DeMayo was fired from the series in March 2024 for “egregious” misconduct. The studio released the statement shortly after DeMayo posted on several social media accounts, claiming that he was stripped of writing credits for the show’s second season because of a gay pride post he shared to social media.

“Mr. DeMayo was terminated in March 2024 following an internal investigation,” the studio said in a statement. “Given the egregious nature of the findings, we severed ties with him immediately and he has no further affiliation with Marvel."

A source with knowledge of the investigation said evidence was discovered of sexual misconduct, and that DeMayo repeatedly violated his termination agreement, which led to the removal of his credits for Season 2.

That didn’t take long - I figured there was some other reason. I’m sure the sordid details will be out soon.

Join Xavier's students as they navigate through the fallout of Magneto's tweets where he claimed "He Was Right" and the Brotherhood of Factcheckers launched a retaliatory TikTok campaign exposing his past misdeeds, while simultaneously fighting the Anti-Defamation League of Superheroes who are defending Magneto. 

Morph suddenly finds himself in the crosshairs of the Legion of Virtue for cultural appropriation of mimicking heroes of different heritages! Will Scott Summers be forced to pay back child support for Nathan Summers during the Paternity Trial Of The Century, where She-Hulk guest stars as Madelyn Pryor's legal representation!

Charles Xavier is in the hot seat due to allegations that he's not medically handicapped, and the City of Westchester files suit against him for illegal use of a handicap parking permit! Wolverine faces continued scrutiny over being caught on camera at a local grocery store telling some "broad" that she has more than 14 items in the express lane and that he's got "six reasons to kick her in the keaster!"

All this and more in the new Disney+ series X-Men '24!

X-Men '97 Creator's Lawyer Issues Statement Over Disney Firing

The lawyer for former X-Men '97 showrunner Beau DeMayo has issued a statement after Disney removed his credits from Season 2. DeMayo was fired from X-Men '97 shortly before the animated series premiered on Disney+, with no explanation given for the removal. DeMayo has mostly remained silent regarding the whole issue, aside from the random post on social media to comment on various X-Men '97 episodes and the overall positive reception from fans. However, Thursday night DeMayo alleged that he was stripped of his X-Men '97 Season 2 credits after sharing fan art of himself as a shirtless Cyclops during Gay Pride Month in June. Disney responded by releasing a statement claiming DeMayo was "terminated in March 2024 following an internal investigation." Beau DeMayo's lawyer has released a statement as well to refute the misconduct allegations against their client. 

"Having much experience with Disney, the playbook is always the same," attorney Bryan Freedman of Freedman Taitelman + Cooley said in a statement to Variety. "Family friendly on the outside, but secretly attempting to plant illegal unconscionable items in contracts that silence the truth and stop the employee/customer from asserting basic constitutional rights."  

You can read the full statement by Beau DeMayo's attorney below:

image.thumb.png.03a78848f0e2d254087070aa714f0195.png

On 8/20/2024 at 8:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

In case anyone is eating the full Disney public relations meal being served up.

Screenshot_20240820-2027152.thumb.png.90aa8b5269f382e0ee7c46650cf0f926.png

So much lawyer double speak here.

--He never sent them to his direct reports leaves the door open to he could have sent them to people that did not report directly to him.

-- nobody that reported him to HR directly received a video or picture means that people who received the questionable materials talked to other people higher in the hierarchy, who then went to HR. 

It really is disappointing, because he actually seems to understand the X-Men, and was good at separating who he is in real life from that which he was making.  He seems to have a history of respecting the source material (remember he also worked on and left the Witcher when it was not respecting the source material), which many creators seem to lack right now. I think X-Men 97 will suffer creatively from him being removed from the show. It seems Disney gave him a chance to save face and move on, despite what he has allegedly done, but he decides to take legal action anyway. Furthermore, he seems to be making accusations primarily based on certain personal characteristics, that Disney has been very publicly supportive of.  I am not saying he is guilty, but I do not see how this will look good for either side in the long run. 

On 8/21/2024 at 12:23 AM, drotto said:

So much lawyer double speak here.

--He never sent them to his direct reports leaves the door open to he could have sent them to people that did not report directly to him.

-- nobody that reported him to HR directly received a video or picture means that people who received the questionable materials talked to other people higher in the hierarchy, who then went to HR. 

It really is disappointing, because he actually seems to understand the X-Men, and was good at separating who he is in real life from that which he was making.  He seems to have a history of respecting the source material (remember he also worked on and left the Witcher when it was not respecting the source material), which many creators seem to lack right now. I think X-Men 97 will suffer creatively from him being removed from the show. It seems Disney gave him a chance to save face and move on, despite what he has allegedly done, but he decides to take legal action anyway. Furthermore, he seems to be making accusations primarily based on certain personal characteristics, that Disney has been very publicly supportive of.  I am not saying he is guilty, but I do not see how this will look good for either side in the long run. 

Plenty of words for, "He's guilty, your Honor!"

Let's not forget the women empowerment accusations of Disney. Yet then it tried to trash Scarlett Johansson as being a spoiled Hollywood actress that was 'paid enough'. And even posting her base salary for the Black Widow role - which is normally an HR fact kept private, other than insiders leaking details for a fee. Along with accusing her of being dismissive of the pandemic for self-gain.

Disney “Shamelessly” Attacked Scarlett Johansson Over Lawsuit

On 8/21/2024 at 3:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

Plenty of words for, "He's guilty, your Honor!"

Let's not forget the women empowerment accusations of Disney. Yet then it tried to trash Scarlett Johansson as being a spoiled Hollywood actress that was 'paid enough'. And even posting her base salary for the Black Widow role - which is normally an HR fact kept private, other than insiders leaking details for a fee. Along with accusing her of being dismissive of the pandemic for self-gain.

Disney “Shamelessly” Attacked Scarlett Johansson Over Lawsuit

Disney seems to have become very two faced when it comes to dealing with employees. Outwardly a very accepting and even progressive company, then active very aggressively to oust people they do not agree with. I do not feel the DeMayo case really falls in that category, since it seems like Disney was attempting to protect his reputation, but he decided to poke the bear.  The Gena Carano case is also interesting here as it is officially heading towards discovery. 

On 8/21/2024 at 9:35 AM, drotto said:

Disney seems to have become very two faced when it comes to dealing with employees. Outwardly a very accepting and even progressive company, then active very aggressively to oust people they do not agree with. I do not feel the DeMayo case really falls in that category, since it seems like Disney was attempting to protect his reputation, but he decided to poke the bear.  The Gena Carano case is also interesting here as it is officially heading towards discovery. 

It really has become quite messy. That latter case is going to be interesting for sure.