• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s X-MEN '97 animated series (2023)
4 4

168 posts in this topic

I LOVED seeing Gambit charge up Wolverine's claws. Even though that probably should have ended in an explosion of Wolverine's arms, rule of cool prevailed and gave us a shoe-stopping moment. 

WAY too much story compression of the Madelyne Pryor and Inferno stories.  Her proclaiming "I shall be Madelyne Pryor!" at the end was goofy and made no sense, plus we got no indication for why she became so enamored with and closely tied to demons.  Liked it, just not as much as the trial of Magneto because it felt overly-compressed.

Edited by fantastic_four

Good news! They're well into production of season 3, which has been greenlit. 

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-97-season-3-confirmed-marvel/

On 4/1/2024 at 6:10 AM, fantastic_four said:

WAY too much story compression of the Madelyne Pryor and Inferno stories.  Her proclaiming "I shall be Madelyne Pryor!" at the end was goofy and made no sense, plus we got no indication for why she became so enamored with and closely tied to demons.  Liked it, just not as much as the trial of Magneto because it felt overly-compressed.

+1

X-Men 97 - good episode, aaand then it went into Lifedeath. Blurgh. Another whole episode of this? Please, no. I'll take the worst of the OG series over Lifedeath. 

On 4/4/2024 at 12:00 AM, Cat said:

X-Men 97 - good episode, aaand then it went into Lifedeath. Blurgh. Another whole episode of this? Please, no. I'll take the worst of the OG series over Lifedeath. 

I didn't really enjoy that story in the comics either, so yea, wasn't a fan on-screen either.  Hated how Storm blames Forge for "working for the government" at one point.  How did she think he got that hand and leg blown off in a war--something he started himself?  :screwy:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 4/4/2024 at 10:23 PM, fantastic_four said:

I didn't really enjoy that story in the comics either, so yea, want a fan on-screen either.  Hated how Storm blames Forge for "working for the government" at one point.  How did she think he got that hand and leg blown off in a war--something he started himself?  :screwy:

Thank you!! I also hate the story in the comics, but apparently you can't say that. It's like saying I peed in the sauerkraut everyone! 

This is cool. For anyone whose watched episode 3, they've apparently changed Jean in the intro for episode 4.

Spoiler

pryor-experience-v0-vamaqkydpjsc1.thumb.jpeg.0a763ddda112d6c123b2c20710d3b824.jpeg

On 4/10/2024 at 4:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

Gambit was hardcore deadly in this episode.

So many of the classic mutants make an appearance. Including Cable.

^^

Also a quick appearance by the Watcher!

On 4/14/2024 at 5:00 PM, szav said:

Decided to watch in on recommendation from a friend at work who's not really into all the comic book and hero stuff.   Going to have to have words with this friend after watching the first four episodes.

Goofy, contrived, stiff animation, cringe dialogue, and several of the characters are downright annoying.  They even mad Wolverine seem pretty uncool so far....I mean I guess that's comic books for you. My kids 5-9 are very into it, so I'll keep watching an episode or two a week as long as they bother to ask to watch it.  

I feel like they're trying to pull some mind trick by calling it X-Men 97 too, because it gives them an excuse for the low budget low quality "throwback" animation.  Not digging the style at all tbh.  I give the series a 3/10 so far.

You should watch Episode 5.

I'm enjoying the show, just wish they let the storylines breathe!  

Not perfect, but the best X-Men content in years. My son, who is 13, is also totally engaged and is going back and exploring more about the X-Men.

This show has already done more to help rebuild the X-Men brand that anything since its trashing years ago in Avengers vs. X-Men (If not earlier as that was pretty much the last nail in the coffin).

On 4/15/2024 at 12:09 PM, Magneto said:

Not perfect, but the best X-Men content in years. My son, who is 13, is also totally engaged and is going back and exploring more about the X-Men.

This show has already done more to help rebuild the X-Men brand that anything since its trashing years ago in Avengers vs. X-Men (If not earlier as that was pretty much the last nail in the coffin).

What about HoX/Pox by Hickman?

So many of my non-comics friends have texted me after watching Episode 5. Who is this character? How are these guys connected? How does this mutant do that? It's been fun