• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 8:00 PM, Gotham Kid said:

With tonight's Cap1 result, Heritage holds #1 (AF15 9.6) and #2 spot for most expensive comic sales ?

I believe that is correct, as does Marvel. Of course, DC comics top offerings in grade would shatter these numbers. Nobody sells those, though.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:22 PM, Professor K said:

Good post. The words "lose importance" did trigger me I must say. WE all don't agree Aman. I think you're giving Disney, Marvel, Hollywood way to much credit. I could be wrong about that but I'm one of those who couldn't care less about who and when has a movie coming out (most of whic that I've seen I think are mediocre to terrible).  I suppose the upcoming movie schedules do have an effect but I'm pretty sure these wonderful books , especially Golden Age, would be in about the same degree of desirability with or without the Hollywood money makers (movies). No offense, like you said just talk. 

we may not agree ... To my eyes, these current million dollar buyers of our comics are "obviously" new to comics.  If I have to backtrack from that Id say 85% of them are.  Can anyone think of ANY of us buying at these prices?  millions for a comic book?  By definition they HAVE to be new collectors because if they aren't, and have loved and coveted and built collections for years, they'd have bought their copies already for far less.  I suppose there may be a few who have been collecting but are now very successful and rich and are spending their money to buy them because they only recently CAN afford them. but, doesn't sound right to me except for a handful of people, and they'd have to have spent 20-30M so far to be responsible for ALL the recent big sales.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:47 PM, Joshua33 said:
On 4/7/2022 at 8:00 PM, Gotham Kid said:

With tonight's Cap1 result, Heritage holds #1 (AF15 9.6) and #2 spot for most expensive comic sales ?

I believe that is correct, as does Marvel. Of course, DC comics top offerings in grade would shatter these numbers. Nobody sells those, though.

Hard to keep track of all these $3M+ sales, but which book is in the #2 spot as I thought it might have been the CGC 8.5 graded copy of Action 1 that was sold through CC for something like $3.25M back in April of 2021?  hm  (shrug)

On 4/7/2022 at 12:56 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I wonder what the Batman 1 9.4 would sell for now  hm

That was also the first thing that crossed my mind the eve before the auction when I noticed the Cap 1 sitting just one bid increment away from where the single highest graded copy of Batman 1 finished up at last year.  (thumbsu hm  hm

On 4/7/2022 at 1:18 PM, Mmehdy said:

It was just a matter of time.....the secret is out......I expected at a minimum 2.5m but 3.1 puts this book in a different level, wonder if there are any owners of Cap 1 still pricing it at the "old" price after this or not knowing about this significant price breaking sale....watch the main stream pick this up and watch 2-10  prices feel the effects of this great sale.

On 4/7/2022 at 5:50 PM, buttock said:

Ah yes.  The secret is out!  Nobody knew about Cap 1 before. 

No secret at all about Cap 1, but the real secret is whether @Mmehdy's own personal copy of Cap 1 is also going to finish up into the 9's and give some of these copies a run for their money.  hm

Especially since I feel that Mitch and probably some of the other first generation collectors from the 60's and earlier just might already have some nice copies squirreled away in their personal collections that have yet to see the light of day, but I guess only time will tell. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 4/7/2022 at 9:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Hard to keep track of all these $3M+ sales, but which book is in the #2 spot as I thought it might have been the CGC 8.5 graded copy of Action 1 that was sold through CC for something like $3.25M back in April of 2021?  hm  (shrug)

Did the Cap not cross 3.25? If not,  the Action is in the 2nd position.

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

On 4/7/2022 at 10:20 PM, Joshua33 said:

Did the Cap not cross 3.25? If not,  the Action is in the 2nd position.

No, the SF Cap 1 finished up at $3,120,000:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-1-san-francisco-pedigree-timely-1941-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7270-91053.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

Not even good enough for the bronze medal as I believe the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Action sold on eBay for $3.2M back in 2014 and the so-called Rocket copy of Action Comics 1 sold for $3.18M earlier this year.  (thumbsu

On 4/7/2022 at 10:31 PM, lou_fine said:

No, the SF Cap 1 finished up at $3,120,000:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-1-san-francisco-pedigree-timely-1941-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7270-91053.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

Not even good enough for the bronze medal as I believe the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Action sold on eBay for $3.2M back in 2014 and the so-called Rocket copy of Action Comics 1 sold for $3.18M earlier this year.  (thumbsu

That's right. I was told the Cap did 3 point high 2s. I should've verified. Thanks for the info. :highfive:

On 4/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, Joshua33 said:

That's right. I was told the Cap did 3 point high 2s. I should've verified. Thanks for the info. :highfive:

No problem and what's a hundred thou give or take when you are talking about millions for what were viewed as "throwaway" kid's comic books way back in the day.  :takeit:  

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/7/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dark Knight said:

Same copy that Bob S sold recently.. I think it sold for $200k+?

On 4/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:

tec338.0.thumb.JPG.46850dc8d3eb613213fdd1593c147c4b.JPG

The FLIP that went FLOP ! lol

Any idea how close it was to the $350K ask price because $200K+ is a long ways away from that, but then $192K is even further away.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

On 4/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, tth2 said:
On 4/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, Terry JSA said:

Better question.. will it surpass the Amazing Fantasy #15 sale of $3,600,000? hm

No.

So it didn't beat out the AF 15 sale, but still broke $3m, which I wouldn't have predicted.

On 4/7/2022 at 11:51 PM, Aman619 said:

we may not agree ... To my eyes, these current million dollar buyers of our comics are "obviously" new to comics.  If I have to backtrack from that Id say 85% of them are.  Can anyone think of ANY of us buying at these prices?  millions for a comic book?  By definition they HAVE to be new collectors because if they aren't, and have loved and coveted and built collections for years, they'd have bought their copies already for far less.  I suppose there may be a few who have been collecting but are now very successful and rich and are spending their money to buy them because they only recently CAN afford them. but, doesn't sound right to me except for a handful of people, and they'd have to have spent 20-30M so far to be responsible for ALL the recent big sales.

I agree they are new to comics. I was referring to the power of Hollywood. These new multi millionaire "collectors" are in it for the money. I doubt they are influenced very much about which character has a movie scheduled. I don't think that factors in to the real big money books very much, which I thought you were stating in you other post. That's the point I was saying. :peace:

Edited by Professor K

On 4/7/2022 at 11:51 PM, Aman619 said:

I think there are more factors.  

Before the films, the GA and SA interest-to-sale price ratio was, generally speaking, quite different. Prime examples: (1) I used to buy and sell AF15 in V/VG to VG range in the general ~$2k - $3k range as a matter of course. Everyone wanted a copy, no one was paying more. (2) Captain America Comics #1.  There were 3 CGC8.0 copies that did the show circuit for a few years, all priced ~$50k, with no buyers. (3) Detective 33 was a dog for years.  At the height of (pre-film era) desirability for lower grade copies, I was getting offers - from only 3 dealers - who wanted to buy my VG copy because they had customers who could be pushed to pay $5k and no more.

And I don’t agree that everyone who wanted a copy of a given book would have bought it before the price explosion.  That assumes a lot.  I have several friends who were avid collectors in the 1990s but then entirely disconnected to get married and have families. They have now made their proverbial fortunes, are now empty nesters, and want back into the game.  Just this week, two of those friends told me they want to buy certain key SA books in 9.4-9.8 (books that currently sell for $100k+++) “before they are no longer affordable.”  

All this to say, the films definitely changed things, but the answer to current dynamics is more complex.   

On 4/7/2022 at 10:51 PM, Aman619 said:

I totally agree this is new money to the hobby. I see too many buying errors to be otherwise 

On 4/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Coverless Tec 27 hasn't budged in a while.

It hasn't budged since the first 2 days of bidding you mean.

Edited by Gotham Kid