• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2022 at 12:12 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 4/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Fishler mentioned to me that he had paid something like only $800 for the cover way back in the day.

Good to know. Will email him with a $1,000 offer today :wishluck:

I already offered to double his money when I was in NYC a few years ago, so I think you might have to offer him at least a triple if you really want a shot at getting it. :takeit: lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/23/2022 at 8:15 AM, lou_fine said:

I already offered to double his money when I was in NYC a few years ago, so I think you might have to offer him at least a triple if you really want a shot at getting it. :takeit: lol

:gossip: $1,000 was for both covers (28 and 30)

Might need to revise my strategy :shiftyeyes:

I take it OA to the other preRobins doesn't exist if all he managed was 28 and 30 ?

On 4/23/2022 at 12:18 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I take it OA to the other preRobins doesn't exist if all he managed was 28 and 30 ?

Your guess would be as good as mine's when it comes to cover artwork, but there are a lot of long held private collections out there.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

On 4/22/2022 at 6:38 AM, tth2 said:

So saying that CGC has gotten looser on the defects that constitute 99% of book defects and tighter on NCBs that constitute 1% (at most) of book defects, and then concluding from this that CGC has therefore become overall tighter on grading, makes no sense. 

Well, that's because I never said that about CGC grading because it would be wrong to generalize and say that it has to be either one or the other.  What I said is that CGC grading has shifted and rather quite different from the old school grading in place prior to CGC in that they are seemingly a lot tighter on what you call the 1%, while at the same time seemingly a bit looser on what you call the 99%.  hm

Although I would generally agree with you about the makeup of the defects, I believe the numbers are probably more like 90% and 10%, but your general idea is right.  As such, that's why I prefer the old school grading because the grades seems to be much more proportional or in line with both your percentage quantity of defects along with how severe and egregious they are.  Not sure, but maybe it's just me, but CGC's current grading system seems to be more in line with the types of defects and seemingly hitting harder on the defects which they deemed to be "fixable" and able to eliminate.  (shrug)

Like I said, since a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes, another example of this would be this book here:  :eyeroll:

fou3.200a.jpg

Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light spine stress lines breaks color
Once again, maybe it's just me, but this seems like a pretty tight grade on a book where they seem to be hitting your 1% defects, which are in some part or to a certain extent probably "fixable" for a price of course.  :devil:
Edited by lou_fine

On 4/23/2022 at 4:04 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, that's because I never said that about CGC grading because it would be wrong to generalize and say that it has to be either one or the other.  What I said is that CGC grading has shifted and rather quite different from the old school grading in place prior to CGC in that they are seemingly a lot tighter on what you call the 1%, while at the same time seemingly a bit looser on what you call the 99%.  hm

Although I would generally agree with you about the makeup of the defects, I believe the numbers are probably more like 90% and 10%, but your general idea is right.  As such, that's why I prefer the old school grading because the grades seems to be much more proportional or in line with both your percentage quantity of defects along with how severe and egregious they are.  Not sure, but maybe it's just me, but CGC's current grading system seems to be more in line with the types of defects and seemingly hitting harder on the defects which they deemed to be "fixable" and able to eliminate.  (shrug)

Like I said, since a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes, another example of this would be this book here:  :eyeroll:

fou3.200a.jpg

Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light spine stress lines breaks color
Once again, maybe it's just me, but this seems like a pretty tight grade on a book where they seem to be hitting your 1% defects, which are in some part or to a certain extent probably "fixable" for a price of course.  :devil:

I don't know whether the notes are comprehensive. Many Dell file copies have tanning on the inside covers, and if they do, they probably won't get graded above 8.5 even if they're otherwise perfect, or so I've been told.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, Point Five said:
On 4/23/2022 at 8:18 AM, Gotham Kid said:

:gossip: $1,000 was for both covers (28 and 30)

And shipping. Make sure he throws in the shipping. 

you damn right ! :sumo:

On 4/22/2022 at 11:31 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Interesting! I had no idea that ink could come through the cover like that. I've never seen that before. I've see a little bit of red ink peek through—faintly—but I've never seen black ink come right through the cover inks. (I have seen ink transferred from other covers many times, which is why I thought that's what it was.)

It's not coming through the cover, it's likely from when the covers were printed and placed in stacks while the ink was fresh.  

On 4/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, Aman619 said:

So somebody bought this AS8 last year… and is now selling it?  Feels like a failed upgrade gamble so now sell it.  Lightning didn’t strike twice!

ebay auction (Pristine Comics) that sold in 2017 for $936,223

Went to a couple dealers (brothers) who bought all 3 WW books in that ebay auction. Listed it on their site with 2Mil asking price for some years.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 4/24/2022 at 9:12 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 4/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, Aman619 said:

So somebody bought this AS8 last year… and is now selling it?  Feels like a failed upgrade gamble so now sell it.  Lightning didn’t strike twice!

ebay auction (Pristine Comics) that sold in 2017 for $936,223

Went to a couple dealers (brothers) who bought all 3 WW books in that ebay auction. Listed it on their site with 2Mil asking price for some years.

Well, if the SF copy of Cap 1 sold for only $915K back in 2019 and then was successfuuly resold for $3.12M earlier this month, why not give it a shot with the single highest graded copy of AS 8 that sold for some $936K back in 2017.  :wishluck:

On 4/24/2022 at 5:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if the SF copy of Cap 1 sold for only $915K back in 2019 and then was successfuuly resold for $3.12M earlier this month, why not give it a shot with the single highest graded copy of AS 8 that sold for some $936K back in 2017.  :wishluck:

Or not. And just hold on to it for many more years. Anyway, I was misunderstanding about it having been sold recently. 

On 4/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, buttock said:
On 4/24/2022 at 4:25 PM, Aman619 said:

Or not. And just hold on to it for many more years. Anyway, I was misunderstanding about it having been sold recently. 

No you weren't.  It sold more recently.  

Any idea when and what it sold for and I imagine it must be some buyer with a speculative day trading mentality in order to try to flip it so quickly?  hm