• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,959 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 7:51 PM, tth2 said:

If you're patient and wait for them to come back on the market, the premium may evaporate a bit.

The Promise 9.6 Kid Colt #4 just sold in this auction for $4080.  It sold on Heritage back in September for $4800.  That's a bad flip, particularly after you factor in fees.

Yeah, I agree with this.  A lot of hype around the Promise collection now.  Perhaps a lot of the new money people only know about the Promise collection as a pedigree without knowing that there are others that have been discovered so they see it as a once in a lifetime chance of owning a copy with a pedigree status. Of course I'm just speculating on why it's been selling for a crazy amount.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Dude . . . THAT 8.0 went for $10K? ? ? ?

That's a 6.5 all day long.

Well, the world's fine and everything's in perfect balance then....................winner paid 3 grade increments up for a book (if lucky) for a book that should actually be graded 3 grade incements down.  (:

On 4/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Dude . . . THAT 8.0 went for $10K? ? ? ?

That's a 6.5 all day long.

Hey buddy.................................CGC wants to know when was the last time you went and got your eyes checked.  (tsk)

There's absolutely zero visual difference between that beautiful green cover CGC 8.0 Bat 89 from this horrid looking green cover WP Planet 44:  :wink:

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1457891#detail

00003352380000113766065006.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/10/2022 at 5:27 PM, lou_fine said:

Not only am I shocked at the price here, but also shocked at the grade considering what I am seeing here down the entire spine for a CGC 8.0:  :fear:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F4%2F4%2F4%2F25444792%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Grader Notes
light wear left bottom of front cover breaks color
light wear left top of front cover breaks color
very light spine stress lines breaks color ?????
very small chip out right top of back cover
On 4/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, batman_fan said:

I think my copy has way better eye appeal and white pages

batman89.jpg

Nice example of an 8.0 graded 20 years ago compared to 2021. Actually sad example. 

On 4/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, goldust40 said:

One thing I have noticed regarding the Promise collection - a seemingly endless supply of Airboys.

Everything Promise is commanding a premium, so I'm sure those will, too. Even the raw Blondie Comics that sold a week or two ago were selling for several times guide. Normally you wouldn't be able to give those away.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, Professor K said:
Grader Notes
light wear left bottom of front cover breaks color
light wear left top of front cover breaks color
very light spine stress lines breaks color ?????
very small chip out right top of back cover

Certainly does not appear ro be very light spine stress lines on the Bat 89 to me, but for comparison purposes, what are the Graders Notes on the Planet 44 with CGC serial number "3766065006" since it also received the same equivalent CGC 8.0 grade?  hm

On 4/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Certainly does not appear ro be very light spine stress lines on the Bat 89 to me, but for comparison purposes, what are the Graders Notes on the Planet 44 with CGC serial number "3766065006" since it also received the same equivalent CGC 8.0 grade?  hm

light bends to cover
light cover tanning
light staining to cover
moderate creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

On 4/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, lou_fine said:

I thought the final grade was an average of 3 grades from 3 graders. I'm probably wrong on that, but the fact that 1,2,3 or whatever "professional graders" could deem that jungle of spine ticks as being "Very Light" is not good. 

Hmmmmm..................Very Light spine stress lines breaks color:  hm

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F4%2F4%2F4%2F25444792%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

As compared to Moderate creasing to cover and Moderate spine stress lines to cover:  :screwy:

I really do believe I need to go to my little dictionary and check out the definition of Very Light versus Moderate here.  (:  :devil:

On 4/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, Professor K said:

I thought the final grade was an average of 3 grades from 3 graders. I'm probably wrong on that, but the fact that 1,2,3 or whatever "professional graders" could deem that jungle of spine ticks as being "Very Light" is not good. 

I don''t believe the final grade is based upon an average of the 3 grades like before in the prior grading regimes, as I have heard from some other boardies here that the final grade is now determined by the Finalizer and it's up to him whether he takes the grade input from the other graders into account or not.  hm  (shrug)

If this is actually the case which I find rather hard to believe and I certainly hope not true :wishluck:, then it really raises all sorts of potential issues from my own personal point of view.  Then again, maybe that's just me once again and nobody else here is concerned with this. :frustrated:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/11/2022 at 7:09 AM, goldust40 said:

One thing I have noticed regarding the Promise collection - a seemingly endless supply of Airboys.

Which are not going cheap!

It's actually been interesting checking the census on a lot of the Promise books and realizing there are so few slabbed high grade copies of books from the late 1940s. 

I knew this was the case with books from the early 50s, as Edgar Church's buying petered out, but I thought he was still going strong into the late 1940s and therefore the census would already be populated with slabbed high grade Church copies.  But apparently that's not the case, particularly with non-mainstream titles.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Hmmmmm..................Very Light spine stress lines breaks color:  hm

As compared to Moderate creasing to cover and Moderate spine stress lines to cover:  :screwy:

I really do believe I need to go to my little dictionary and check out the definition of Very Light versus Moderate here.  (:  :devil:

@lou_fine take your reading glasses off :makepoint:See the source image

In all honesty, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that so-called CGC 8.0 Batman 89 sell for $10,200 or a mere 16X condition guide was that at least it wasn't that bad in comparison to this so-called CGC 8.5 book that sold for $10,800 or over 40X condition guide valuation:  :fear:  :screwy:

7480D70A-0A59-4E45-A8F8-C469FEB5CCB0.jpeg

54D047AB-E75F-4D79-8C11-DA2049BA574D.jpeg

As per the previous discussion on the comparison of Graders Notes for equivalent graded books, I wonder if it's the same type of situation with the above Gangsters Can't Win 2 being flagged for Very Light spine stress lines while the equivalently graded, but visually nicer presenting File Copy of Crackajack Funnies 13 from way back in 1939 as pictured below was possibly flagged for Moderate spine stress lines and creasing:  hm  (shrug)

cra2.217.jpg

Almost makes me wonder if both the Gangsters Can't Win and the Crackajack Funnies were submitted by the same consignor or not.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine