• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 5:31 PM, RareHighGrade said:

including a few from the Promise collection.

I noticed that too. I haven’t read the back story, so maybe it’s explained in there. But, like him,  I’ll probably be buying right up to the day I unload

and yes, we are all about to learn what effect the current stock and crypto markets will have

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, RareHighGrade said:

This should be an interesting and informative indicator of current market conditions.  Many of the Palos Verdes books were bought within the last couple of years, including a few from the Promise collection.

The three Batman Promise books went for around 30% less than they just sold for only 6 months ago.  Ouch.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The three Batman Promise books went for around 30% less than they just sold for only 6 months ago.  Ouch.

Certainly an ouch for the consignor.  Gut instinct is thinking every result is a possible trend (i.e., economic), but patient analysis usually pays dividends.  

After all parameters are factored in, some results may just be unforeseeable outliers (luck, good or bad) when analyzed from the POV of grade/pedigree marketing (over/under-promotion/saturation), auctioneering quality (live, good/bad/ugly/automated) or consignment timing (more/fewer collectors with eyes on the prize).

In the end it still comes down to the last two bidders standing and who's quicker on the draw ...err button. 

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 5/12/2022 at 5:43 PM, circumstances said:
On 5/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

Supes 1 CGC 5.0 sold for $720k..  A 3.0 sold at Goldin earlier this year for the same price :eek:

I'm thinking that was a hefty reach on the Goldin, and this is a somewhat more realistic result?

Yes, this one is definitely more realistic.  It's around $150k a point currently.

A book that I won on Heritage last month, sold in the same grade tonight for about  25% less than I paid. Mine has white white/ow pages, this one is cr/ow, but I was surprised. I've been watching another issue in the series that went at least 20% lower than I expected.

Edited by skypinkblu
corrected page color after I looked it up;)

On 5/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, skypinkblu said:

A book that I won on Heritage last month, sold in the same grade tonight for about  25% less than I paid. Mine has white pages, this one is cr/ow, but I was surprised. I've been watching another issue in the series that went at least 20% lower than I expected.

I was mostly watching the Batmans and I would say about on par on several but some under performers beyond just the Promise books.  Next HA auction will be very telling.

Prices seem soft. I wanted the Superman 4 7.5 white, forgot to bid, then felt gross when I saw the hammer price. $6.6k final....a 4.5 went for $5.2k and a 7.0 at $8.4k, both last month. :(

Edited by october

On 5/12/2022 at 9:17 PM, october said:

Prices seem soft. I wanted the Superman 4 7.5 white, forgot to bid, then felt gross when I saw the hammer price. $6.6k final....a 4.5 went for $5.2k and a 7.0 at $8.4k, both last month. :(

That was one of the books I was tracking. I stopped tracking because it had a rusty staple and some glue on the spine. the glue I didn't care so much about the rust I was concerned about...still I would have bid if I knew it as going that "low".

On 5/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, skypinkblu said:

That was one of the books I was tracking. I stopped tracking because it had a rusty staple and some glue on the spine. the glue I didn't care so much about the rust I was concerned about...still I would have bid if I knew it as going that "low".

Yeah, maybe the glue was a turnoff for some.

Still, a really really pretty copy for the grade, and nice pages. I would have gone higher. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:17 PM, batman_fan said:

I was mostly watching the Batmans and I would say about on par on several but some under performers beyond just the Promise books.  Next HA auction will be very telling.

I never look at the stock market except on here...but it seems to be a concern. I guess I have to watch auctions more carefully for a bit.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, october said:

Yeah, maybe the glue was a turnoff for some.

Still, a really really pretty copy for the grade, and nice pages. I would have gone higher. 

It was pretty...but I keep thinking rust spreads and then I have to think about replacing a staple and making it purple. I have done that before, lol. 

On 5/12/2022 at 8:31 PM, skypinkblu said:

It was pretty...but I keep thinking rust spreads and then I have to think about replacing a staple and making it purple. I have done that before, lol. 

Good for you making the tough call for the betterment of the hobby

On 5/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Market correction? You be the judge!

A8E3A77E-648A-46B3-B624-08704A94F621.jpeg

D5F8D785-9649-4608-8ADF-928686FAB655.jpeg

Well, without having the book in hand or even bothering to take a closer zoom in look at both of these copies here, I would have to say from this distanced front cover view, it would appeared that the Metro/CC copy presents much nicer than the Heritage copy even though both of them are sporting the same equivalent CGC 7.0 grade.  hm  (shrug)