• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2022 at 5:30 PM, Terry JSA said:

It rarely comes up in a 4.0 or above

ummm ... no

more like 7.5/8.0 and above

some examples ( ComicLink also had 1 maybe 2 recent )

image.thumb.png.751d57f612ecc9e957b935099c6c756f.png

image.thumb.png.97fb3a0465a1f4f2a30ca72ba4448a52.png

image.thumb.png.a4f62c04a91128de11922f9593f6bd32.png

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/13/2022 at 11:24 AM, Superman2006 said:

If I was a betting man, I would be that the line running down the spine is just light from the scan reflecting off the spine at the point where the curvature of the spine begins, and that it isn't really a crease, and hence why you might be seeing it show up on a lot of HG books.

This is correct.(thumbsu

The spine is so unmarred and glossy the light reflection could deceive you.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, Gotham Kid said:

ummm ... no

more like 7.5/8.0 and above

some examples ( ComicLink also had 1 maybe 2 recent )

image.thumb.png.751d57f612ecc9e957b935099c6c756f.png

image.thumb.png.97fb3a0465a1f4f2a30ca72ba4448a52.png

image.thumb.png.a4f62c04a91128de11922f9593f6bd32.png

I totally get your point. They’re harder to come by in a 7.0+ but at the same time, not many come up for sale in the 4.0 - 6.5 range either.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:24 AM, Superman2006 said:

If I was a betting man, I would be that the line running down the spine is just light from the scan reflecting off the spine at the point where the curvature of the spine begins, and that it isn't really a crease, and hence why you might be seeing it show up on a lot of HG books.

Lou Fine knows this, he's just throwing bombs at CGC and Heritage.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 10/13/2022 at 9:24 AM, Superman2006 said:

This is correct.(thumbsu

The spine is so unmarred and glossy the light reflection could deceive you.

Oh wow, thanks guys...................greatly appreciate this as this is absolutely the most sound, logical, and reasonable explanation for what we are seeing on some of these scans of HG books here.  (thumbsu

Maybe I need to win more high end books from Heritage to know this, but I thought it was just CC that always took crappy pictures or scans as their books in hand are almost always pleasantly nicer that what you see on your computer screen.  :)

Like they say, I guess this is another reason why you can never grade accurately from a scan as you need the actual book in hand to do this.  It's just that with improving technology over time, you would think that with the new slabs and better photo scanning improvements this would have taken care of these image artifact issues, instead of exacerbating them..  hm  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

Have always been trying to acquire a copy of this classic cover book for my collection since way back in the day, but sadly never came across a nice enough copy back then:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/jungle-comics-11-fiction-house-1940-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40199-81121.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Jungle Comics #11 (Fiction House, 1940) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages....

Based upon a rather stunning price point of $7,200 for the above mid-grade copy in last night's Fiction House Auction, looks like I'll never be acquiring a nice copy of this HTF book here.  :(

On 10/12/2022 at 1:05 PM, Gotham Kid said:

This is one of the nicest 1.5s I have ever seen

26948548%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

26948549%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Anyone aware of a high grade copy of this book anywhere on the planet?  I believe the highest graded is an 8.0, then a 7.0.  But my guess is one or more of the forever raw collections out there has a minty copy

On 10/15/2022 at 12:58 AM, eschnit said:

Anyone aware of a high grade copy of this book anywhere on the planet?  I believe the highest graded is an 8.0, then a 7.0.  But my guess is one or more of the forever raw collections out there has a minty copy

Church Tec31

On 10/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, lou_fine said:

Oh wow, thanks guys...................greatly appreciate this as this is absolutely the most sound, logical, and reasonable explanation for what we are seeing on some of these scans of HG books here.  (thumbsu

Maybe I need to win more high end books from Heritage to know this, but I thought it was just CC that always took crappy pictures or scans as their books in hand are almost always pleasantly nicer that what you see on your computer screen.  :)

Like they say, I guess this is another reason why you can never grade accurately from a scan as you need the actual book in hand to do this.  It's just that with improving technology over time, you would think that with the new slabs and better photo scanning improvements this would have taken care of these image artifact issues, instead of exacerbating them..  hm  :frown:

Well, you should refer back to this post next time you trash the Promise (And any other) books you never saw raw up close. ; (. Scans gonna be scans. 

On 10/15/2022 at 8:26 AM, Aman619 said:

Well, you should refer back to this post next time you trash the Promise (And any other) books you never saw raw up close. ; (. Scans gonna be scans. 

You might be confusing me with some other boardies as I don't believe I've ever made any negative comments about the Promise Collection books with respct to that aspect of their books except that they have absolutely stunning colors that look like they just came off the printing press.  :luhv:

My negative commment on the Promise books have been primarily limited to pieces out, edge & corner tears, indented staples, and clearly visible stress lines which seems to have been given a soft pass by the graders when compared to other non-Promise books graded in the past.  Unless the light reflection and photo artifacts of the Promise Collection books also comes into play with these types of defects due to the stunning high quality of these Promise books.  :p

So, I guess you are saying the supposed visible defects which I am seeing on this Promise Collection book here is just from the scan and most likely not there when the book is actually held is hand:  hm (shrug)

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F5%2F7%2F1%2F24571047%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by lou_fine

In comparion, from a strict visual point of view only since we do not have the book in hand and Graders Notes were not free and available at the time, I would tend to say that this pedigree book also certified in the exact same equivalent CGC 8.5 grade would most probably appear nicer not only in the scan, but also when actually held in hand:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/676934

sen1.1047a.jpg

The Gangsters Can't Win, although not really pretty, seems to have defects associated with printing.  While it's not a pretty 8.5, it seems within range for the grade. 

The grader's notes for the Sensation include back cover creasing, so front cover scans aren't going to tell the whole story. 

But Dean, for you to say you haven't trashed the Promise books is comical.  But since 95% of your posts are trashing something, I could see how you don't see it that way.  

On 10/14/2022 at 12:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Have always been trying to acquire a copy of this classic cover book for my collection since way back in the day, but sadly never came across a nice enough copy back then:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/jungle-comics-11-fiction-house-1940-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40199-81121.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Jungle Comics #11 (Fiction House, 1940) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages....

Based upon a rather stunning price point of $7,200 for the above mid-grade copy in last night's Fiction House Auction, looks like I'll never be acquiring a nice copy of this HTF book here.  :(

Only 18 of them graded. I was watching that auction too , 7,200, that's a crazy price. Problem is with these books that only come around every few years is that the previous sale really sets the bar. Not that much opportunity for "the market" to adjust the price to an accurate or realistic point. 4.0 in 2019 - 900.00 , 4.5 in 2021 4,000, 6.5 in 2022 7,000. This could have been two people just bidding each other up and up and now its a big money book. BTw there is, as you know I'm sure, a 9.8 out there plus a few other high grade copies. Maybe this sale will cause more to become available soon.

I really just came here to say to me that's the best Dinosaur cover I can think of. Love it. 

On 10/15/2022 at 1:45 PM, buttock said:

The Gangsters Can't Win, although not really pretty, seems to have defects associated with printing.  While it's not a pretty 8.5, it seems within range for the grade. 

The grader's notes for the Sensation include back cover creasing, so front cover scans aren't going to tell the whole story. 

But Dean, for you to say you haven't trashed the Promise books is comical.  But since 95% of your posts are trashing something, I could see how you don't see it that way.  

Thanx.  I wasn’t expecting pushback cause we’ve all read the same posts for months,,,  

On 10/10/2022 at 10:27 PM, tth2 said:

The 9.6 FC #9 in the upcoming "Doug's Dell & Gold Key Comics Showcase Auction" in November is the 9.4 copy that I sold on Heritage back in June 2021.

When I first saw it, I was like "Wow!".  Then I clicked on the listing to look at the book and thought the book looked very familiar.

Man I love this hobby! 

Also, the 9.6 WDC&S #2 in the same auction is the 9.4 copy that was sold on Heritage back in August 2013.

Man just when I thought I couldn't love this hobby any more!

Edited by tth2

On 10/15/2022 at 12:45 PM, buttock said:

I'm not trying to crowd anyone's opinion as official grader opinions still qualify as opinions even if they're considered the last word. Sadly, it's clear to me that I'd be a lousy grader judging from current CGC standards. Based on the cover alone I'd be hard pressed (no pun intended) to grade that Promise Collection copy of Gangsters Can't Win above 6.5 tops, ...and that's even if the interior pages were graded Pepsodent white.  

Alas, tellers have to be careful (just ask Owen & Ives). Obviously I'm not trashing Promise Collection books, owning several held in high regard (much higher grades therefor unfair to compare), but the spine on that one ...just wow.  

This isn't a pushback on anyone's opinion, but Dean has a point here. You're right, it'd be nice to look at the back cover of the Sensation #39 for comparison's sake, just to get a more thorough picture of both book's covers, but something tells me the back cover creasing on the Church copy is much less pervasive. Anyway, that's my 2 cents (pre-interest hike and inflation adjusted).

On 10/16/2022 at 12:37 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm not trying to crowd anyone's opinion as official grader opinions still qualify as opinions even if they're considered the last word. Sadly, it's clear to me that I'd be a lousy grader judging from current CGC standards. Based on the cover alone I'd be hard pressed (no pun intended) to grade that Promise Collection copy of Gangsters Can't Win above 6.5 tops, ...and that's even if the interior pages were graded Pepsodent white.  

Alas, tellers have to be careful (just ask Owen & Ives). Obviously I'm not trashing Promise Collection books, owning several held in high regard (much higher grades therefor unfair to compare), but the spine on that one ...just wow.  

This isn't a pushback on anyone's opinion, but Dean has a point here. You're right, it'd be nice to look at the back cover of the Sensation #39 for comparison's sake, just to get a more thorough picture of both book's covers, but something tells me the back cover creasing on the Church copy is much less pervasive. Anyway, that's my 2 cents (pre-interest hike and inflation adjusted).

Yes, that does not look like an 8.5 spine. Only thing that makes sense to me is the 8.5 grade got awarded because the rest of the cover looks 9.6 = The pages are white and the corners are razor sharp. The back of the book has dust shadows, so I don’t know

EE67D310-FCB5-4AFE-A9D1-EF71911E5E27.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost