• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,935 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2022 at 10:10 PM, tth2 said:

It'd be pretty awesome to be able to buy back the FC 178 and the (now 9.6) FC 9 at half the price I sold them for last year. 

It'd be like getting paid $65k to rent them out for 18 months!  (and the tenant even "renovated" the FC 9 for me)

So now we know the "tenant" was Schmell, which makes me root even harder for you to be able to buy them back at half price.

I wonder if Fishler will also go the Heritage route when he sells his collection? lol

On 10/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, Crowzilla said:

So now we know the "tenant" was Schmell, which makes me root even harder for you to be able to buy them back at half price.

Yeah, looks like Dougie is keeping the pressers busy as it looks like pretty much all of those Crackajack Funnies have been bumped up in grade and it would certainly be nice to see them sell for less than what they sold for in their unpressed condition a couple of years ago, although I would highly doubt this happening.  :(  :popcorn:

On 10/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, Crowzilla said:

I wonder if Fishler will also go the Heritage route when he sells his collection? lol

Don't think so since I believe the Church run of Planet was owned by Fishler himself and it was auctioned off on CC a few years ago.  (thumbsu

As for Schmell using Heritage to auction off his own books (like his multi-million SA Marvel collection years ago), I see two scenarios here:  hm

1)  A positive from the POV that he does not want the sale of his books to be seen as a potential conflict of interest if auctioned off on his own Pedigree website;  or

2)  A negative since he is well aware that his Pedigree website would not bring him top dollars for his own books and his site is meant only for unwitting "losers" who don't mond leaving money on the table when selling their books?  :devil:

Not sure about other boardies' opinions here, but based upon Doug's rather "sterling" reputation, I am tending to lean towards the second scenario here. (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/29/2022 at 2:46 AM, Crowzilla said:
On 10/23/2022 at 10:10 AM, tth2 said:

It'd be pretty awesome to be able to buy back the FC 178 and the (now 9.6) FC 9 at half the price I sold them for last year. 

It'd be like getting paid $65k to rent them out for 18 months!  (and the tenant even "renovated" the FC 9 for me)

Weird, I would never have figured Duck books were in Schmell's wheelhouse.  Anyways, only the (now 9.6) FC 9 is coming from his auction.  I'm assuming the FC 178 is owned by someone else since it's in the regular November Signature Auction.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

What are folks' thoughts on the Heritage PCH auction this week? The Atlas titles ended about where I expected these days (a little higher than I'd care for as a buyer), I didn't see any crazy jumps or drops. Am I off base?

Some books went even better than I expected, and there were very few bargains. One or two Atlases went for more than I expected. There were some pre-code crime and horror books in there (notably crime) that are rarely seen, that went for decent change. Some books elicited the predicted feeding frenzy (Beware 10, several of the Crime Mysteries, Dark Mysteries 10, Dynamic 11 (a bit early for pre-code, but it fits), Exposed 1,2, Haunted Thrills 5, Horrific 3, JIM 6, Mysterious Adventures 13, Punch 12, STT 11, etc.)

On 10/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, goldust40 said:

Some books went even better than I expected, and there were very few bargains. One or two Atlases went for more than I expected. There were some pre-code crime and horror books in there (notably crime) that are rarely seen, that went for decent change. Some books elicited the predicted feeding frenzy (Beware 10, several of the Crime Mysteries, Dark Mysteries 10, Dynamic 11 (a bit early for pre-code, but it fits), Exposed 1,2, Haunted Thrills 5, Horrific 3, JIM 6, Mysterious Adventures 13, Punch 12, STT 11, etc.)

(thumbsu Tx!

On 10/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, tth2 said:

Weird, I would never have figured Duck books were in Schmell's wheelhouse.

Yes, especially since I thought from his auctions, that he was really all about HG early SA Marvels and pretty much nothing before that.  (shrug)

On 10/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, Crowzilla said:

I would never have figured Duck pressable books were in Schmell's wheelhouse.

Now, if you are into pressing even relatively lower value Crackajack Funnies, then I assume everything in that auction must have been squashed and flattened to the absolute max.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, especially since I thought from his auctions, that he was really all about HG early SA Marvels and pretty much nothing before that.  (shrug)

I just figured he was into shooting any angle he can (and cheating old ladies out of their money, but that's a different story).

On 10/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, looks like Dougie is keeping the pressers busy as it looks like pretty much all of those Crackajack Funnies have been bumped up in grade and it would certainly be nice to see them sell for less than what they sold for in their unpressed condition a couple of years ago, although I would highly doubt this happening.  :(  :popcorn:

Don't think so since I believe the Church run of Planet was owned by Fishler himself and it was auctioned off on CC a few years ago.  (thumbsu

As for Schmell using Heritage to auction off his own books (like his multi-million SA Marvel collection years ago), I see two scenarios here:  hm

1)  A positive from the POV that he does not want the sale of his books to be seen as a potential conflict of interest if auctioned off on his own Pedigree website;  or

2)  A negative since he is well aware that his Pedigree website would not bring him top dollars for his own books and his site is meant only for unwitting "losers" who don't mond leaving money on the table when selling their books?  :devil:

Not sure about other boardies' opinions here, but based upon Doug's rather "sterling" reputation, I am tending to lean towards the second scenario here. (shrug)

No doubt in my mind that it is #2.  I concur with your comment on his reputation.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:30 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like Heritage will again crush ComicConnect with auction material for the next round.

It is easy for ComicConnect to get crushed since they seem to be using their auction platform to move their own inventory that few want.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:25 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

It is easy for ComicConnect to get crushed since they seem to be using their auction platform to move their own inventory that few want.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:39 PM, jmg3637 said:

Wasn't  it ComicConnect   that sold  "The Tailor to Stan Lee"s  collection?   Mr Parsow  did quite well on  that

Or the Jon Berk Auction with all of the truly HTF rare vintage GA books that all long time collectors wanted a piece of for their own collection.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Also believe that Metro/CC has been in on the buying or selling end of way more copies of Action 1's than any other dealer or auction  platform to date.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/29/2022 at 1:13 PM, Crowzilla said:

I just figured he was into shooting any angle he can (and cheating old ladies out of their money, but that's a different story).

Are you talking about BB:headpat:

Edited by woowoo