• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2022 at 4:02 AM, Ryan. said:

On 11/21/2022 at 7:26 AM, Point Five said:

That was kind of an odd one though. The cover color seems a bit lackluster... like, the reds are bold but the yellow seems pretty weak... even if production-y in nature I find it a big qualifier.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:46 AM, drbanner said:

Yeah, I thought the price was fair as the color was off and that copy is falling apart (big chunks out of the back cover and the spine looks just about split if not already).

Totally agree with the both of you as it would appear the cover defects were so visually obvious that the bidders most likely looked right pass that big number on the top left hand corner of the slab and decided to go old school here by buying the book and not the label.  (thumbsu

On 11/21/2022 at 3:17 PM, Robot Man said:
On 11/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are thinking about Hulk 181, then how about the continuing downward trend for CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1:  :frown:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7283-91062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Expand  

I remember seeing that on the rack and thumbing through it. I thought it was stupid and put it back…

it still is ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 11/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes. The 7.5 went for $14k and some change. A year ago a different 7.5 went for $15k, so the price seems to be dropping just a tad

Yeah, I was surprised as the one that just sold was a much better looking 7.5, the previous 7.5 that sold for more was off-center and appears a bit faded.

Most recent copy which sold for $14.4K:

26721074%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Previous copy sold for $15.6K:

23882338%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On 11/21/2022 at 7:49 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes. The 7.5 went for $14k and some change. A year ago a different 7.5 went for $15k, so the price seems to be dropping just a tad

Well, the point to remember here is that even in a rising market (which we don't necessarily have right now BTW), nothing ever goes up in a straight line.  (thumbsu

Especially since we really probably need a couple more data points before a trend can actually be determined, considering that this is only a 7% drop based upon one auction result while many other books have been trending downwards by solid double digit percentages based upon multiple auction results.  For all we know at this point, this might be nothing more than the prices consolidating before it takes the next jump higher up and might actually be a good time to buy.  hm  (shrug)

Price consolidation at various intervals is actually a healthy sign when the price of an item is going up longer term.  Especially after a spectacular price increase which some can say took place here, especially considering that prices for Blue Bolt 105 in this grade range was selling for only low 4-figures back about 5 years ago and even into the 3-figures about 15 years ago before starting to make their move upwards a few years ago.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/23/2022 at 2:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, the point to remember here is that even in a rising market (which we don't necessarily have right now BTW), nothing ever goes up in a straight line.  (thumbsu

Especially since we really probably need a couple more data points before a trend can actually be determined, considering that this is only a 7% drop based upon one auction result while many other books have been trending downwards by solid double digit percentages based upon multiple auction results.  For all we know at this point, this might be nothing more than the prices consolidating before it takes the next jump higher up and might actually be a good time to buy.  hm  (shrug)

Price consolidation at various intervals is actually a healthy sign when the price of an item is going up longer term.  Especially after a spectacular price increase which some can say took place here, especially considering that prices for Blue Bolt 105 in this grade range was selling for only low 4-figures back about 5 years ago and even into the 3-figures about 15 years ago before starting to make their move upwards a few years ago.  (thumbsu

Yep, I was thinking the same. A market where a BB #105 "only" reaches $14K is still pretty crazy robust.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:37 AM, Point Five said:

Yep, I was thinking the same. A market where a BB #105 "only" reaches $14K is still pretty crazy robust.

Yep, definitely still a strong price for a CGC 7.5 graded copy, as that's also still well over 4X Overstreet condition guide value. :applause:

It's not like some of the other more readily available so-called movie hyped books that were selling for multiples of condition guide value and now only able to sell at a discount to condition guide value.  Or like some other higher risk speculative investables like Bitcoin or some of the Nasdaq stocks which have dropped by as much as 80% from their highs of a year or two ago.  Now, that's what I call a big drop and taking a massive body crunching hit.  :tonofbricks:

On 11/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, Professor K said:

Imagine how much more awesome if it was simple like Contact 12? L.B already struck gold with that cover, no way anyone who sees it won't buy it. Everything else like you said is detracting. https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/12460928-classic-sci-fi-comic-cover

Blue_Bolt.jpg

I would actually tend to disagree with you here as the only part that I found distracting was all the exploding word balloons and the oversized title sidebar.  :p

If you take a look at Contact 12 which I agree is a great cover, both the foreground and the background gives you a complete si-fi image: :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955), Contact Comics #12 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Aviation Press, 1946) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

To each their own, but the picture above without the background artwork just kind of makes the whole image appear a bit "naked" and it kind of loses it's si-fi feel at the same time.  (shrug)

On 11/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but the picture above without the background artwork just kind of makes the whole image appear a bit "naked" and it kind of loses it's si-fi feel at the same time.  (shrug)

While I agree that Contact 12 is a minimalist masterpiece, probably my favorite comic cover ever, and in my mind should be considered up there with the great artistic works of 20th century fine art, I went ahead and ordered one of those BB105 t-shirts because I'm nerdy like that and it looks cool.

On 11/20/2022 at 2:27 PM, Dark Knight said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-pr-05-brittle-pages/a/7283-96017.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Can't believe someone paid $40k+ for this brittle paged copy of Bat 1.  You can see a bunch of brittled scraps inside the holder itself :eek:.  Basically paying for this book to deteriorate even more and soon turn to dust lol

Books like that do not need to turn to dust if they are conserved.    I've heard people say books like that have an incurable disease and in the next breath say but it's not allowed to give it chemo.  

On 11/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, lou_fine said:

I would actually tend to disagree with you here as the only part that I found distracting was all the exploding word balloons and the oversized title sidebar.  :p

If you take a look at Contact 12 which I agree is a great cover, both the foreground and the background gives you a complete si-fi image: :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955), Contact Comics #12 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Aviation Press, 1946) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Happy Thanksgiving. I don't think we are not agreeing at all. Other than the main image on BB 105 there is the green side panel, the 4 exploding things (three on top, one big one on bottom), and dialogue bubbles. That's it right? I'm saying without the exploding boxes and greenside bar it would have looked better. 

On 11/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, Professor K said:

I'm saying without the exploding boxes and greenside bar it would have looked better. 

If you are referring only to the exploding word boxes and title sidebar on the left, then I am in  110% total agreement with you. (thumbsu

It's just that the image which you had posted in your post also left out the background stars and planets, along with the jagged mountain landscapes and volcanoes at the bottom, all of which I found completed the si-fi image as a whole.  :luhv:

On 11/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, Gotham Kid said:

image.thumb.png.9331cc87d620b4d586558775914bcd4d.png

On 11/17/2022 at 10:30 AM, Terry JSA said:

That’s a very strong price.

Most definitely and for a moment there, almost reminded me of the 'Tec 140 selling for the rather astronomical price $456K in the summer of 2021.  :whatthe:

Then it got me thinking as to what the single highest CGC 9.4 graded copy of 'Tec 40 with the first Joker cover (along with the first appearance and origin of Clayface) might go for in today's marketplace and if it could be right up there in the same ballpark as both of these single highest graded copies of 'Tec 168 and 'Tec 140?  hm

On 11/24/2022 at 12:20 AM, lou_fine said:

If you are referring only to the exploding word boxes and title sidebar on the left, then I am in  110% total agreement with you. (thumbsu

It's just that the image which you had posted in your post also left out the background stars and planets, along with the jagged mountain landscapes and volcanoes at the bottom, all of which I found completed the si-fi image as a whole.  :luhv:

Ah the image. No that's just a t-shirt logo I found. Only 13 bucks. Good. We are 110%. (thumbsu

On 11/24/2022 at 1:38 AM, lou_fine said:

Most definitely and for a moment there, almost reminded me of the 'Tec 140 selling for the rather astronomical price $456K in the summer of 2021.  :whatthe:

Then it got me thinking as to what the single highest CGC 9.4 graded copy of 'Tec 40 with the first Joker cover (along with the first appearance and origin of Clayface) might go for in today's marketplace and if it could be right up there in the same ballpark as both of these single highest graded copies of 'Tec 168 and 'Tec 140?  hm

This sale really highlights the fact that there are two camps in comic collecting: people who collect books for the art (especially the cover art) and people who collect key issues. Obviously, the people buying those two books are in the latter camp.

As someone who collects for the cover art, neither 'Tec 140 nor 'Tec 168 appeals to me much. I do want to pick up some D.C.s because I don't have many, but the cover art seldom grabs me. In every auction that comes along, there invariably ends up being something I like better than whatever D.C.s I'm thinking about pursuing.

'Tec 31 is one of my favorite DCs, but I've basically been priced out of that one. (I don't buy lottery tickets, so I can't even say, "Unless I win the lottery.") Back when it was affordable, I could never find a copy with nice pages. Now I wish I'd bought a copy with C/OW pages so I could trade up in page quality.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/24/2022 at 6:49 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

This sale really highlights the fact that there are two camps in comic collecting: people who collect books for the art (especially the cover art) and people who collect key issues. Obviously, the people buying those two books are in the latter camp.

As someone who collects for the cover art, neither 'Tec 140 nor 'Tec 168 appeals to me much. I do want to pick up some D.C.s because I don't have many, but the cover art seldom grabs me. In every auction that comes along, there invariably ends up being something I like better than whatever D.C.s I'm think about pursuing.

'Tec 31 is one of my favorite DCs, but I've basically been priced out of that one. (I don't buy lottery tickets, so I can't even say, "Unless I win the lottery.") Back when it was affordable, I could never find a copy with nice pages. Now I wish I'd bought a copy with C/OW pages so I could trade up in page quality.

There is also a third category. Books that people buy to actually read the stories. ECs, Barks and Eisner Spirit and a few others fall into that category for me.

Now, often these can fall into the other categories as well and are a bonus.

I’m with you on DCs, notability Tec 140 and 168. I own both. But other than the origin features, neither do much for me. Especially cover wise.

The list of books I should have bought is near endless…

On 11/24/2022 at 10:40 AM, Robot Man said:

There is also a third category. Books that people buy to actually read the stories. ECs, Barks and Eisner Spirit and a few others fall into that category for me.

Now, often these can fall into the other categories as well and are a bonus.

I’m with you on DCs, notability Tec 140 and 168. I own both. But other than the origin features, neither do much for me. Especially cover wise.

The list of books I should have bought is near endless…

What you said about the third category is certainly true. I'm not sure whether those collectors have an impact on the high-grade slabbed market, though. I tend to think those collectors are more likely to go after low- or mid-grade raw books or reprints. I could be wrong. I enjoy the stories, too, but I usually read them in reprint form or even online for the ones in the public domain. (During the last few years I've done more reading of comic books on comicbooksplus.com than in paper copies.) Sadly, I don't think there are many collectors left who fall into that third category. Again, I could be wrong.

umm wait...did I miss a post or two, or are all of you not focusing on this absolute beast of a page being auctioned!! (yes it ain't golden age, but basically all HA stuff seems to fit in this thread obviously)

lf.thumb.jpeg.d455904f53d23cd47a5566a88994360a.jpeg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/walt-simonson-1st-issue-special-9-dr-fate-splash-page-1-original-art-dc-1975-/a/7343-91197.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 11/25/2022 at 10:24 PM, szav said:

This mini DC/Spectre signature auction is off to a roaring start for a few of the books including this one up over 150k early in the fairly early on.  Some pretty sweet books and OA in this auction.

image.thumb.png.194ae88d5d71a8e216f8bc481f8d763b.png

High grade copies with nice pages don't come along every day. I won't even venture a guess where it will end up.